United Abominations review by Megadeth

• Released: May 15, 2007
Megadeth: United Abominations

United Abominations, Megadeth's latest album, and first with the Drover brothers lineup, attempts to dive deeper into the bands thrash metal roots by becoming increasingly political, and focusing on heavy riff work. The solos on this album in particular also seem to use more tremelo and wah elements than prior albums - an element that could potentially make or break the album for long time fans of megashreddage. It definately bares a Megadeth sound and tone to it, albeit with a few new added elements.

Lyrically, this is obviously Megadeth. The songs on this album are increasingly political, with more songs focusing on political subject than on the prior album, The System has Failed. The listener also gets a heavy dose of Mustaine's trade-mark cynicalism in many of the songs, especially Washington Is Next, which manages to paint quiet a image on the instrumental canvas. Vocally, it's obviously Mustaine, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the listener's tastes. He lacks the pure aggression of the bands early releases, but he surely isn't failing vocally. Once again, whether you like the vocal work is based on your personal preferences.

Overall, this album doesn't seem to hit quite as strongly as The System Has Failed did for me. it's still a good album, and it's heavy as hell, but instrumentally, the riffs seem tired and forced, and I'm not a big fan of the tremelo and wah used in the majority of the lead solos. I like most of the stuff lyrically, but it's the instrumental parts I have trouble with. It just seems 'hollow' and forced at times. Also, the new version of A Tout Le Monde isn't too impressive, and feels like a half-assed attempt to fill the track listing. Still, it's not a bad album, but it's definately not a great album either. It's not the album I'd suggest to new fans, but it's not a bad listen either. Worth the buy, but not the amazing work I've come to expect from the band.

PirateBoy
    Nah This Aint As Good As THe Other Stuff I Dont Think. Amazing Album Yes, But I Feel 'Deth Are Going Int Melodic Thrash. I Prefer The Older Stuff. Still An Amazing Album Though.
    stoop
    evertonianBG wrote: ^ agree with not_dead_enough ... My opinion is that Risk IS way better than St.Anger, tho it lost it's thrash sound it still is... And don't say that Dave Mustaine wrote all of Metallica's early stuff, because he only wrote small parts of a few songs, and then was kicked from the band for being the ass that he is today. Okay i won't say that - instead i'll say something that makes sence to me - he wrote a small part of the songs that are GOOD ... then Kirk came along and it got worse IMO... But then again thats my opinion on how the stuff goes
    My opinion,Risk loses the heaviness of Megadeth,a lot.St.Anger was heavy and hard.Both of them mediocre anyway.Well,in my opinion,Kirk made the small part that dave made and make it good.Metallica sounds so much better with Kirk and this even said by the producer of album Kill Em All.But then again thats my opinion on how the stuff goes.
    guitarfreak222
    Nhex (PT) wrote: hmm in their albuns artworks they kind of copy iron maiden but the important is that megadeth is a great band who never run of the origins and keeps metaling our heads
    I wouldn't say copy, I would say inspired by or influenced.
    evertonianBG
    not_dead_enough
    xDeathRollx wrote: I am a fan of both Megadeth and Metallica. This is a decent album, but Death Magnetic blows the shit out of it without even trying. Both bands started off in the early years with good thrash albums, and both then declined and made more radio-friendly albums, singles etc. When people knock St Anger (and I think this is a shit album), try comparing it to Risk and it comes out on top, because Risk was even worse. Dave Mustaine is a good guitarist, however his vocals pale in comparison to James Hetfield's, and Hetfield's rhythm playing is also superior. Kirk Hammett has written some good solos too, but the difference between Megadeth and Metallica on the solo front is that Megadeth throw solos in their songs for the sake of it rather than when they fit like in Metallica songs. Again, I am a fan of both bands but overall Metallica has far more talent as songwriters, and live Megadeth doesn't even come close. One last thing, Four Horsemen is a WAY better song than Mechanix. In fact, that whole first Megadeth album was shit. Kill 'em All easily wins in that race. And don't say that Dave Mustaine wrote all of Metallica's early stuff, because he only wrote small parts of a few songs, and then was kicked from the band for being the ass that he is today.
    -What makes Death Magnetic so much better? Or is it just your opinion? -Care to elaborate why James is such a better rhythm player? -About the songwriting etc...again, opinions -About who's better live...tell me: have you seen both bands live? Not saying you haven't, just asking cus most people on this site seem to think it's fair to judge and compare bands based on official DVD releases (where the band plays better for the camera) or crappy youtube bootlegs you can barely hear -Dave was only given SONGWRITING CREDITS for those bits of those old songs. He says he wrote more than that, Metallica say otherwise and it depends who you believe. Given the way Metallica treated Dave I wouldn't put it past Metallica to lie about that too. (PS: I like ALL Metallica AND Megadeth albums so don't call me a Metallica hater cus I probably like them more than you do)
    huevos
    Wait, are you listening to the same albums I am? St. Anger is the vein of absolute crap. In comparison to the vast majority of other bands, Metallica and Megadeth suck big balls. There is other music out that doesn't happen to be overrated thrash. Testament outdoes them easily, and I'm not that big of a fan of them. On their individual merits, they are pretty good bands. Sure Mustaine is the best piece of douche ever (aside from Lars), but the he knows how to rock. And he's had some exceptional players (Friedman) and has an exceptional one right now (Broadrick). Death Magnetic wasn't too shabby either. So everyone chill. These two bands are not the only ones in existance. Legendary bands and musicians had their legacies before the 80's, because that's when popular music took a turn for the worst. Then again, I just have utter contempt for that horrible decade. Flash dancing anyone?
    xDeathRollx
    guitarman47
    everyone says this is the best album since countdown but for some reason i just cant get into this album no matter how much i listen to it
    Pyd Pyper
    sammo_boi wrote: i can't believe all these people actually like megadeth. they're a just a cheap rip off of metallica
    To be honest, I'm quite sick of people having little bitch sessions about Megadeth-Metallica in either one's better than the other. Grow the **** up and if you have a different opinion on the band, post it up your ass. However, I quite like pre-'90s Metallica with the Heavy Metal ballads of 'Fade to Black' and 'One' and their lengthy Instrumentals of 'Call of Ktulu' and 'To live is to Die'. Not to say Megadeth are still freaking awesome! ..and SLAAAAAYYYYYERRRRR!
    enginehead
    Oh no he didn't!
    guitarfreak222 wrote: guitarfreak222 wrote: stondagain wrote: Just picked it up...and to the ears of this 38-year-old Deth fan, it ****ing kills. I'll admit, from song to song some of the riffs kind of blend together, but what the hell! Hey Godsmack, THIS is how you play metal guitar!! I bet Hetfield's sitting at home listening to this and thinking "Well, time to go back to drinking." And Hammett's sitting at home, sh***ing his pants, thinking "Why in the HELL did I say I want to play solos again?" And Bob Newhart...er, I mean Lars is sitting there with his fingers in his ears saying "Nyah nyah nayh, I can't hear it, we're so much better, we're METALLICA! Nope, can't hear a thing. We're better..." And finally Rob Trujillo's sitting there thinking "Thank God I got $1 million up front, cuz our album's not gonna sell at ALL." Hail Dave. oh my god, 1: james hetfield gave up drinking 2: kirk is a awesome guitar player, he hasnt played much solos is becouse they didnt fit into the songs 3:lars actually respects dave, they had an interview with lars and dave and lars was saying how sorry he was for kicking him out of the band and ur comment about robert is just down rite ****ed. go post ur worthless comments somewhere else or you can just shove it up ur ass! awww... poor kid... someone messed with his precious metallica... aw... yeah and u beta believe it!!! lol
    Haha, nice one, don't know if u were quoting "Killing is my business" or not Funny stuff, i enjoy making fun of the whole metallica vs megadeth thing, but i don't take it too seriously
    stratdud39
    your an idiot dave mustaine was IN metallica you dumbshit so how the hell is that ripping off?! Megadeth and metallica are two completely different bands. And dave mustaines a better guitarist than kirk anyways. dont EVER say that again
    sammo_boi