Youthanasia review by Megadeth

• Released: Oct 24, 1994
Megadeth: Youthanasia

Megadeth is a rock band, and all their songs are with electric guitars set to distortion or overdrive. The singer sounds like a demon that has just woke up and is very annoyed to find you among his cornflakes in most of the songs, but can do the emotional act too, as shown in Tout Le Monde. The production quality is amazing, especially the drums, and the guitar patterns range from power chords to little solo-like riffs. It's almost relentless metal, except for Tout Le Monde which starts a little quieter. The album never really relents, but it feels sort of slow simply because there aren't any slow tracks.

The singer, as I have said, fills his role damn well. Whether he's demonic (Reckoning Day) emotional (A Tout Le Monde) sarcastic (Crown of Worms) or even just plain metallic (Elysian Fields) he does his job and he does it well. The lyrics seem quite inventive to me, but they seem to pass very quickly, so you might not really notice them. It all seems to fit the music like a glove, and one of the choruses is entirely in French. Lyrically, this is probably the best Deth album, but to be honest, that's not the important thing.

Youthanasia feels slightly standard coming from Megadeth. After the relentless pace for the first four albums, after Countdown Megadeth could either go back to pure speedmetal or convolute to a more nineties style. They chose the latter, but the metal still shows at heart. However, it feels slightly placid, like they were taking it easy. It lacks a certain something, definitely. The most impressive song for me is Reckoning Day. I don't really know what he's banging on about, but the guitar and drums more than make up for it. And that's what Deth is about really. It's a good album, but a few more solos wouldn't have gone amiss - I really loved the guitar duel on Hangar 18, and nothing like that is present here. If you're new to Megadeth, get Rust in Peace instead, but if you've been with them a while Youthanasia is definitely worth having.