Enki Review

Melechesh: Enki
Released: Feb 27, 2015
Genre: Black/Death Metal, Middle Eastern Folk Metal
Label: Nuclear Blast
I would definitely recommend this album to anybody into black metal, but wanting something just a little bit different and unique.
 9.2
 8.7
 9.7
 4,663
review (1) pictures (1) 10 comments vote for this album:
Enki Featured review by: UG Team, on march 06, 2015

Sound: The band was originally formed in 1993 as a solo project of Ashmedi, though he soon filled the lineup up - but as of today, he is the only original member remaining. The band released their first album and were seized by authorities and charged with "cult activities," but the charges were dropped and the band relocated out of the country. "Enki" is the band's sixth album, and contains 9 tracks with a runtime of 62 minutes. The word "Enki" comes from Sumerian mythology were Enki was a god over several things, such as intelligence, running water, mischief and crafts among other things. The album is being released by Nuclear Blast Records. The album features guest appearances by Max Cavalera and Sakis Tolis on vocals, and guest lead guitar by Rob Caggiano of Volbeat. This is the band's first album in 5 years since the release of their last album, "The Epigenesis."

The album opens up with the track "Tempest Temper Enlil Enraged," which is a good opening track that builds very quickly, then goes into a blast beat before slowing down in turns with creepy vocals, then speeding back up. "The Pendulum Speaks" is very musically entertaining to me, with a lot of interesting stuff going on, especially with the drums, and it definitely creates its own unique vibe with a Middle Eastern or Mediterranean feel to it. "Lost Tribes" has a building anxiety going on, and is probably my favorite song from my perspective as a guitarist - I really like the way that melody is used on the track. "Multiple Truths" is more conventional riffing than I'm used to from the band, and this may be one of my favorite songs as it is also very vocally and lyrically interesting. "Enki - Divine Nature Awoken" starts off with some traditional instrumentation - possibly a sitar, or something very similar. The melody is picked up by electric guitar, as well, pretty quickly in the song. This track does a great job of creating a vibe to fit along with the song's subject matter. "Metatron and Man" has a more traditional extreme metal sound to it than most of the rest of the album, definitely very straightforward black metal. "The Palm the Eye and Lapis Lazuli" starts out with electric guitar playing some traditional folk melodies, and the track slowly becomes heavier and the folk melody slowly transforms into a very heavy groove-laden riff. "Doorways to Irkala" opens up with some acoustic instrumentation, with some kind of middle-eastern flute going on, along with a sitar and some hand drums. The track stays traditional and is completely instrumental, and is an awesome track, as well. The album closes out with the track, "The Outsiders," which opens with some heavy riffing and has some of my favorite vocals from the album, as well. // 8

Lyrics: Besides the guest vocals provided by Max Cavalera and Sakis Tolis, the vocals are provided by founding member, Ashmedi. I actually enjoy his vocals because he has something that separates the way he sounds from a lot of other black metal. I can also understand most of what he says without having to look up lyrics online, which is nice. The lryics themselves deal with spiritual and mythological concerns, especially as tied into Sumerian and Middle Eastern mythology. As a sample of the lyrics, here are some from the song "Multiple Truths": "Arrogant vain, nephilim/ they delegate the agents of chaos/ assassins of thought/ shroud minds/ these savant theological impostors/ shipwrecked in the sea/ of confusion/ Adam's language/ Enochian paradox/ Sons of Enki/ Daughters of Ninma/ Owners of methodical absolution/ agents of chaos make order/ induce one truth for all/ shipwrecked in the sea/ of confusion/ abstract of religion/ it's all lies/ multiple truths." // 9

Overall Impression: I want to make sure that I'm clear that where this album really shines, and really where Melechesh shines in general, is that this is unique. The sound is unique inside the context of other black metal, the vocals are fairly unique in the hordes of black metal vocalists that all sound similar, and the lyrics and themes are unique as they're dealing with spirituality, as much black metal does, but from a more authentically Sumerian standpoint than most current black metal bands. My favorite songs from the album are "Lost Tribes," "Multiple Truths," and "Doorways to Irkala." I would definitely recommend this album to anybody into black metal, but wanting something just a little bit different. // 9

- Brandon East (c) 2015