Auf Der Maur review by Melissa Auf der Maur

• Released: Jun 1, 2004
Melissa Auf der Maur: Auf Der Maur

The disc's bread and butter is Auf Der Maur's smoking riffs. Opening track, "Lightning Is My Girl" and first single "Followed The Waves" find Melissa's vocals - a mix of breathy whispers and effortless. Her thin voice is no match for the thick guitars that dominate this metallic pop marathon, but there is a strange, earthy quality that makes songs like "Overpower Thee" and "Skin Receiver" compelling. At its best, this album is both unintentionally hilarious and implausibly infectious.

The lyrics come in only two tiers: the knowingly silly and the unintentionally hilarious, with the first lines of "Beast Of Honour" ("I'm a taste test at the beast-fest/Got your crest on my breast") providing a good taste of the countless awkward couplets that litter the album. But everything is done with the wink of an eye that is far subtler and more inticing than The Darkness' blatant send up. Best to step lightly over Taste You, with lyrics such as "I will taste you, I've got a big mouth" and zoom in on the soaring, multi-layered Real a Lie, or My Foggy Notion, which leaps between staccato metal riffs and surging, creamy harmonies. "Followed the Waves," Auf der Maur's lead single, is an extremely catchy song, even though its intro sounds like it was lifted directly from an early PJ Harvey record. "Taste You" has a sexy title, but there's no way to make a line like "Plug it in so I can digest you" sound sexy.

"Auf Der Maur" still has all the hallmarks of the debut record. It has the great songs that have been collected over years in the bedroom and on the road. Auf Der Maur gets points for trying, and more points for making her album more listenable than Love's America's Sweetheart, but Auf Der Maur is much duller at the same time.