Auf Der Maur review by Melissa Auf der Maur

• Released: Jun 1, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Melissa Auf der Maur: Auf Der Maur

This is an album for anyone willing to delve back into the nineties alternative rock. Auf Der Maur starts off with a decent opening track "Lightining Is My Girl" then proceeds into another decent but not spectacular song "Followed The Waves" then it starts to go kinda downhill it's not that the actual music is bad it's more to do with that this kind of music has all been done before. The structure of the songs are good but there is nothing that really leaps out of you it all just rolls together in another slick rehash of the nineties alt. rock.

The lyrics in the album really seem to drag down the songs and I'm sort of suspicious that the album would've been better if more time was invested into the lyrics. Some of the lyrics seem ok but most are a bit of a shocker and some are quite embarrassing e.g: "Plug it in so I can digest you" it seems that Melissa is trying to get the listener to focus more on her sex appeal than the actual song. I hope that Melissa next time will take more thought into the lyrics of her songs.

This album has quite a few flaws but it is a fairly solid debut from a rocker of the nineties that is trying to write songs from a bass standpoint.I have heard that Billy Corgan is helping her out with some of the lyrics on her second album which is good news since if anyone can help her to consolidate her songwriting skills it is Billy Corgan. I'm not really sure I would buy this album again if it was lost or stolen I'd probably rather relax and listen to a classic alt. rock album like Siamese Dream.