Auf Der Maur Review

Melissa Auf der Maur: Auf Der Maur
Released: June 1, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock
With Auf Der Maur, the presentation has changed, and it's a little slicker and more polished than it was seven or eight years ago.
 7.7
 6.9
 8.5
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Auf Der Maur Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 02, 2004

Sound: The disc's bread and butter is Auf Der Maur's smoking riffs. Opening track, "Lightning Is My Girl" and first single "Followed The Waves" find Melissa's vocals - a mix of breathy whispers and effortless. Her thin voice is no match for the thick guitars that dominate this metallic pop marathon, but there is a strange, earthy quality that makes songs like "Overpower Thee" and "Skin Receiver" compelling. At its best, this album is both unintentionally hilarious and implausibly infectious. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics come in only two tiers: the knowingly silly and the unintentionally hilarious, with the first lines of "Beast Of Honour" ("I'm a taste test at the beast-fest/Got your crest on my breast") providing a good taste of the countless awkward couplets that litter the album. But everything is done with the wink of an eye that is far subtler and more inticing than The Darkness' blatant send up. Best to step lightly over Taste You, with lyrics such as "I will taste you, I've got a big mouth" and zoom in on the soaring, multi-layered Real a Lie, or My Foggy Notion, which leaps between staccato metal riffs and surging, creamy harmonies. "Followed the Waves," Auf der Maur's lead single, is an extremely catchy song, even though its intro sounds like it was lifted directly from an early PJ Harvey record. "Taste You" has a sexy title, but there's no way to make a line like "Plug it in so I can digest you" sound sexy. // 8

Overall Impression: "Auf Der Maur" still has all the hallmarks of the debut record. It has the great songs that have been collected over years in the bedroom and on the road. Auf Der Maur gets points for trying, and more points for making her album more listenable than Love's America's Sweetheart, but Auf Der Maur is much duller at the same time. // 8

Auf Der Maur Reviewed by: badpun, on march 30, 2007

Sound: This is an album for anyone willing to delve back into the nineties alternative rock. Auf Der Maur starts off with a decent opening track "Lightining Is My Girl" then proceeds into another decent but not spectacular song "Followed The Waves" then it starts to go kinda downhill it's not that the actual music is bad it's more to do with that this kind of music has all been done before. The structure of the songs are good but there is nothing that really leaps out of you it all just rolls together in another slick rehash of the nineties alt. rock. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics in the album really seem to drag down the songs and I'm sort of suspicious that the album would've been better if more time was invested into the lyrics. Some of the lyrics seem ok but most are a bit of a shocker and some are quite embarrassing e.g: "Plug it in so I can digest you" it seems that Melissa is trying to get the listener to focus more on her sex appeal than the actual song. I hope that Melissa next time will take more thought into the lyrics of her songs. // 4

Overall Impression: This album has quite a few flaws but it is a fairly solid debut from a rocker of the nineties that is trying to write songs from a bass standpoint.I have heard that Billy Corgan is helping her out with some of the lyrics on her second album which is good news since if anyone can help her to consolidate her songwriting skills it is Billy Corgan. I'm not really sure I would buy this album again if it was lost or stolen I'd probably rather relax and listen to a classic alt. rock album like Siamese Dream. // 6

Comments