Business As Usual Review

Men at Work: Business As Usual
Released: 1981
Genre: New wave, Rock
Label: CBS / Columbia
If you like The Police or Level 42, you might just about like this.
 8.1
 6.7
 9.4
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Business As Usual Reviewed by: belavista man, on january 11, 2011

Sound: The most of the music is fairly average, or poor - Underground and Helpless Automation are pretty dull, in my opinion. On the other hand, the three opening tracks make the album worthwhile for me. There's the odd track that flop from the off, and some that are mediocre. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics of most Men At Work songs are quite fitting to the songs, but aren't exactly awesome. It's Colin Hay's vocals that really make the songs. He has a voice that's so Jamaican without being Jamaican, it's a real gaping-mouthed moment. The harmonies he pulls off are pretty nice too. Backing vocalist Greg Ham performs lead vocals on one track; his vocals are nowhere near the standard of Hay's and feel fairly dire in comparison. // 8

Overall Impression: If you like The Police or Level 42, you might just about like this. It's not the most mind-blowing thing you'll ever hear, that's for certain. The first three tracks from here (Who Can It Be Now?, I Can See It In Your Eyes, Down Under) are without doubt the best on the album. As I've said before, Colin Hay's vocals really make the listen worth it. Even saying that though, I wouldn't say you'd have to have this on your shelf alongside Synchronicity and Running In The Family... // 6

Comments