The Dead Live By Love review by Mendeed

• Released: Feb 20, 2007
Mendeed: The Dead Live By Love

Mendeed seem to have always been confident in their powerful, aggressive speed metal sound, and on this album, it really shows. The musicianship on this album is just incredible, not just incredibly fast drumming on Kevin Matthews' part, but the energy put into the songs that just does not let up. Not to mention the harmonies and guitar solos thanks to one of the best new guitar duellists Steven Nixon and Steph Gildea. "The Dead Live By Love" is the second full length album from the Scottish metallers. A clear classic heavy metal influence is evident in this record, but that's not to say it lacks originality, the new breed of speed/power metal they are creating shows that there are still bands willing to expand the genre even further. The first thing that comes to mind As far as guitar playing is concerned, the main influence is quite obvious: Iron Maiden. The vocals, there seems to be some strong similarity to that of Children of Bodom's Alexi Laiho, often crossing over to a kind of Rob Halford singing style during choruses. There is also a hint of metalcore style rhythm sections in parts, but that doesn't stand out as much as it's not overused like metalcore itself tends to do.

The lyrics on this album, are quite diverse. They don't tend to stick to one subject, as most people would probably think of Dragonforce style lyrics as soon as they hear the term "speed metal". That isn't the case here. The subjects range from war, hate, anxiety, through to love, memories, power, and basically standing up for one-self through hard times. Standout lyrics for me come from the epic album closer "Thirteen".

Like I've said before, at first listen it does sound like Children Of Bodom Part II. But that in now way stops it from being a brilliant album full of relentless energy. The standout stracks for me would have to be the blistering opener "Burning Fear" and "Our War", both definitely going to become classic circle pit, sing along live anthems in themselves. I cannot actually think about anything to hate about this album, before I bought this I wasn't a huge fan of much speed metal. But this definitely changed things for me, Mendeed are going to be around for a long time, and this album proves they can only get better as they grow older. If this album were lost or stolen, I'd go buy it straight away so I could listen to it for the first time all over again. I can't see myself getting bored of it anytime soon. If you love classic heavy metal, speed metal, death metal, hell, even if you just like classic rock n' roll, I would say go give this album a listen. You wont regret it.

archangelseren
    this is good stuff, better than alot of stuff but it hasnt been given enough publicity and now the split will mean that very little people are going to hear it from now on.... rabble rabble im dribbling on but thats my opinion
    mullenmetal
    to be honest they are one of the best metal acts around just now this album blew me away
    PLOP
    THIS BAND IS WICKED SICK! I love them, picked this up today...brilliant, they deserve to be as big as, if not bigger than bands like Trivium...
    scig
    This band freaking rules so much! This album is incredible and amazing, how come nobody's stuck up any tabs for the songs?
    Ben_Theater
    "Mendeed are going to be around for a long time" I wish, they've split up now :'(
    DanRocks3000
    mendeed are absolutely ****ing amazing. its so difficult to find there stuff tho, they deserve way more recognition than what they have.