Everblack review by Mercenary

• Released: Feb 17, 2004
Mercenary: Everblack

Mercenary are somewhat of an odd band. Everblack was the first album released with Mikkel and Morten Sandager, and is all around, quite awesome. The music is sort of a dark blend of melodic death and power metal, leaning toward the former. There are numerous excellent riffs, and some really excellent soloing provided. And one of my favorite parts of the album, is the sparsely added acoustic and piano sections, at just the right sections. Also, the keyboards from Morten Sandager are perfectly employed. They aren't overly used, and, are never invasive to the band at all.

Mikkel Sandager is one of the best singers in all of metal, as far as I'm concerned. Kral, while he may not have been great live, has a pretty damn nice growl on record. Kral's lyrics seem to be rather dark, and all around good, and this fits quite well with the music.

All around, this record is a thing of beauty. It may not be the best Mercenary record (I think The Hours that remain beats this barely), but it's still excellent, and slightly more concise than other records (Mercenary songs regularly stretch to the 7 or 8 minute mark). All of the songs have merit to them, but my favorites are probably Everblack, Screaming from the Heavens, and A Darker Shade of Black.

ashesofthewake
    bronenalladin
    Indeed Everblack is a very good metal album. I was lucky enough to see them at the Roskilde Festival in 2005 perfoming most of Everblack and it was a very good concert. Pretty much all they do on Everblack sounds perfect live....!
    Burning_Angel
    ashesofthewake - it takes kind of... a bit of time to grow on you. Soul Decision, the title track, Lost Reality and My Secret Window are all top notch.
    ashesofthewake wrote: i have the hours that remain, and im sorry to say that i just cant get into it. 'Re-define me' was incredible. the rest was so-so. the cover for this looks a lot cooler than 'the hours that remain'...i hope this album can maybe do a bit for me...any tracks youd recommend?
    Off Everblack, I like all of them. Everblack, Seize the Night, A Darker Shade of Black, Screaming from the Heavens and Bulletblues are probably your best bet? All the songs on Everblack are good.
    themtalisgood
    Wicked band very underated. I like the song Firesoul on 11 Dreams but this album was rather impresive.