Don't Break The Oath review by Mercyful Fate

• Released: Sep 7, 1984
Mercyful Fate: Don't Break The Oath

"Don't Break The Oath" is the second album by heavy metal band Mercyful Fate, released in 1984, and sure thing a metal masterpiece and a big influence to later metal acts. Just for starting, I have to say: guitarists Hank Shermann and Michael Denner are probably two of the most creative heavy metal guitarists of all time. Their riffs are just incredible, as well as their composition skills, making complex song structures that sound so great, not to mention their melodies that allies perfectly to King Diamond's outstanding voice. Timi Hansen's bass lines are also pretty damn good, and the tone of his bass is really good. You can hear it clearly, even with the guitar works and King Diamond's voice blowing your mind together. Also, Kim Ruzz is one good drummer. After this album, Mercyful Fate would split up due to musical differences, and King Diamond would go in solo career, releasing many classics like "Abigail" and "Fatal Portrait", only rejoining in 1993. Just a classic, from a highly inspired band with true talent.

The lyrics on this album focuses on satanic tales and in the occultism. And well, we gotta say that King Diamond is a great writer. Overall, lyrics about satanism and occult does not really impress me, but these ones are really well written. Check out for "Desecration Of Souls" or "The Oath". It's no wonder he would later write great stories in albums like "Abigail". And not only he is a talented writer, but a fantastic singer. His trademark falsettos are really incredible. Probably one of the best singers in heavy metal, if not the best.

Well, enough said here. This album is a masterpiece, and a big influence to many bands and genres of metal. Don't know why, but this album really reminds me of Judas Priest, just heavier. Truly amazing. I would point "A Dangerous Meeting", "Desecration Of Souls" and "The Oath" as the best songs here, but all songs are amazing. The whole album is just mind-blowing, and this is a essential part in the collection of any heavy metal fan. I would surely buy it again if I lost it.

swave75
    MountApple wrote: I wish more people knew of this album. Its easily one of the best metal albums out there!
    Yeah no kidding. It seems like only 0.5 metal fans out there every heard of them.