Melissa review by Mercyful Fate

• Released: Oct 30, 1983
Mercyful Fate: Melissa

Black metal with neoclassical influences, who would have guessed? The two together create one hell of an experience. Hank Sherman and Michael Denner's guitar work on this album is flawless. The slower solos over the clean rhythm in "Into The Coven" and "Satan's Fall" really stand out, and are some of my favorite solos. The album never gets boring either, each song has its own unique sound.

King Diamond is unlike any other vocalist. When he switches from his normal clean voice to that unholy falsetto, it is truly unsettling. For this type of music, that's exactly what you want. The vocals give the music an unusual flavor, and is something that you will find nowhere else. The lyrics are also written very well. Not many lyrics that consist of satanic themes are written in an artistic way, but that is not true with "Melissa".

Melissa is difficult to compare with any other album because it is so unlike anything out there. The unique elements attributed by the guitars and vocals come together in perfect harmony. The songs that really stood out were "Evil", "Into The Coven" and "Satan's Fall". If I were to lose this album, I would buy it back in a heartbeat. A metal collection would be incomplete without it. "Melissa" would possibly be in my top 5 albums, a true masterpiece.