The Legendary Merle Haggard Review

artist: Merle Haggard date: 11/03/2013 category: compact discs

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Merle Haggard: The Legendary Merle Haggard
Released: 1983
Genre: Country, Folk, Blues, Southern Rock
 8.9
 8.7
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Legendary Merle Haggard Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on november 03, 2013

Sound: Country music used to be good, believe it or not. There was a time when the genre didn't suffer from a severe lack of originality. People like Johnny Cash, George Jones, Willie Nelson, and of course, the man whose compilation album I am reviewing right now - Merle Haggard. A musician with a style somewhere between Bob Dylan and The Marshall Tucker Band, he has been recording music since the late 1960's. "The Legendary Merle Haggard" is a greatest hits type album, released in 1983. The songs have a surprising range to them, moving through noticeable Folk, Blues and Southern Rock influences, as well as they all are definitely full of nice old-fashioned Country sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, depending on which specific song you're listening to, can be surprisingly good, or else somewhat repetitive, but in terms of how the lyrics go along with the music, I actually found myself enjoying even the couple of songs that have repetitive lyrics, which I have a feeling I would've regarded as annoying under some different circumstances, like if the music wasn't as good. The music on its own is mellow and calm, but has a few sparks of energy scattered throughout, which is kind of cool. Merle Haggard's voice, while not the best in Folk or Country music, does a fine job given the general vibe of the songs on this album. // 8

Overall Impression: Well, I bought this for the simple reason that I knew a few of Merle Haggard's songs from an oldies radio station and none of those songs were on this compilation album. Having heard "The Legendary Merle Haggard" in its entirety, I can honestly say that I really, really wish the songs I already knew were on this album, seeing as how I assume they were hits, after all, they got played on the station a lot. Without the three or four tracks I've heard before, "The Legendary Merle Haggard" is a good compilation album, but definitely not the best it could be. I would give Merle Haggard as a musician a nine, but this album as is, gets an eight. // 8

Comments