Alive [DVD] review by Meshuggah

• Released: Feb 5, 2010
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 8
Meshuggah: Alive [DVD]

Meshuggah. I'm not really sure how to describe them. They're a progressive/metal/experimental band. The anticipation leading up to the DVD was pretty big, and it seems to deliver at pretty much every level. The band itself is extremely humble, even with their incredible amounts of talent they have. Their innovation shines through in the dvd, although some fans that are not die hard may find it to sound somewhat repetitive because of the ways the write their songs. However, if you are a huge Meshuggah fan, this will not disappoint you at all.

Content — 9
The content of the DVD is somewhat extensive. In addition to the band playing their set live, there is breaks in a a few songs with short clips of different members of the band talking about different aspects of touring and other things. It's pretty interesting. There's also a section that shows the making of the music video for "Bleed" and interviews with Micha (guitar) and Tomas (drums) where they discuss their equipment. The DVD also comes with a CD with some of the songs off their live set.

This is the chapter list of the DVD, the songs with the * after them means that the song is also on the CD that comes with it.

01. Begin (Outtakes)
02. Perpetual Black Second (Tokyo)*
03. Twenty Two Hours (Outtakes)
04. Pravus (Tokyo)*
21. Infinitum (Outtakes)
22. Straws Pulled At Random (Toronto)*
23. End (Outtakes)

Production Quality — 8
The sound production on the DVD is great for the most part. It sounded to me like their was a slight lack of highs or mids in the overall mix, but nothing that inhibits you from hearing the instruments clearly. The only two things that I find somewhat disagreeable is that there is a lack of personal camera angles (i.e. the camera doesn't show the guitarist during solos sometimes) and that the lighting is very dark for much of the time which sometimes makes it hard to see the band, but again, this is a minor flaw.

Overall, I find this to be a great live DVD, and it is a must buy if you are a Meshuggah fan. I really appreciate the sound quality of the DVD a lot, with all the instruments sounding very clear in the mix. I'd also suggest that someone that wants to listen to some very unique, but still extremely heavy metal should buy this. The most impressive thing about this DVD is that they play nearly every single song perfectly, which seems nearly impossible, specially because of the complexity of the band's compositions and polyrhythmic insanity in their songs. I love just about everything about this DVD, minus the lack of personal close-ups at certain times in the live set. The bonus interviews and making of "Bleed" is a nice addition to the already incredible live set. If it were lost or stolen, I would definitely buy it again. It's a great DVD and definitely worth the money. It will probably be one of the best band DVD released this year. It's almost a perfect DVD.

dez_cole
    Some people think it all sounds the same because of the their style. I find each and every song to be really distinct and different from each other... i hear brand new ideas and musical thoughts in each song that usually blow me away, but then again i am a huge fan and pay a lot of attention to their songs. There are some similarities, but obviously each band is going to have a sound and use certain techniques more then others. This band extensively uses hemiolas and poly rhythms which make each song sound similar in the sense that there is a shifting pulse, unfamiliarity, and a system of cogs/gears like quality to the rhythms. Their sound is dark and when they bring beautiful sounds to the surface (straws pulled at random is a good example, and a lot of the solos) it is strongly impacting and heavy in a beautiful way to me. I love this band, DVD and each and every one of their songs. If you cant hear differences listen a little closer, give it a little time, gain some interest.. or maybe its just not for you.. Hopefully you can enjoy it because this band produces some of the most interesting and best sounds i've ever heard. Fuck yeah Meshuggah!
    Geiger89
    bassbender15 wrote: that cover is mildly reminiscent of the first alien movie cover
    I think it's supposed to be I'm thinking about getting this DVD, love Meshuggah, just need to get the money
    TheHorrorAnthem
    Soloist96, you are correct and wrong in your statement. Not every Meshuggah song sounds the same and it is obvious because none of the albums sound the same, each has their very own character to them. However within each album some song structures are very similar yes, but it is intentional to create a large hypnotic machine quality, which no one but Meshuggah can do and they do it extremely well.
    madcowman19
    If you watch the DVD it would explain that Micha is the guitar/bass tech Wonderful video
    muckypup
    Jacksonsoad wrote: It is a dude named Micha. I think it might be the tech or something.
    I didn't realise.
    muckypup
    Mazzakazza wrote: Yeah uh dude, who is Micha. The guitarists are called Frederik and Mrten...I guess you mean Mrten?
    yeah, i was wondering who Micha was Marten Hagstrom and Fredrik Thordendal dude! STill, good review man
    flip666sorry
    bleed makes my head hurt because it is soooo brutal, these guys are masters of their craft
    Mazzakazza
    Chill 02
    EpiExplorer wrote: No ObZen??? Ah well, I really wanna get this DVD ;_;
    I'm disappointed, as well. :/
    isispelican
    best live ever!! especially bleed is 100% correct! not one missed note its just amazing
    Hairy Legs
    CoreysMonster wrote: probably because they already have an official live video of that song.
    Yeah, I guess having too many versions of the same song gets pretty boring, as well. BTW I still like most of Meshuggah's other songs, quite a bit.
    CoreysMonster
    Hairy Legs wrote: No Future Breed Machine? That's my favourite song...
    probably because they already have an official live video of that song.
    Merlynfry
    Yes Ritual, possibly my fav Meshuggah song ; plus I haven't been able to find a video of it live anywhere Meshuggah, the universal lords of rhythm \m/