Catch Thirtythree review by Meshuggah

• Released: May 31, 2005
Meshuggah: Catch Thirtythree

First of all, before I even begin reviewing, lets get one thing out of the way do not come to this CD expecting an album. This is what I did. Listening to tracks to see what I was getting. The same riff repeated multiple times? Surely this is crap! By chance I came back to it and played it in the background while playing mortal kombat and had it in the back ground and discovered this albums true nature. The sound is awesome on this album so heavy and rich. The drums are amazing considering they are programed! The main consensus of this album is its more of a journey, hence why the same riff carries on while changing. But it's so heavy, like the heaviest horror movie soundtrack ever, imgaine a man alone in a room halucinating and screaming the lyrics out and youll be imagining the same thing as me.

The singer is not varied at all, it's mono tone vocals all the way. The only really variation is the vocoder on Minds Mirror. I would not say hes very taltented vocally. However the lyrics are awesome, very poetic and they fit the music perfectly! my favourite lyric is "The struggle to free myself of restraint, becomes my very shackles."

This album is not very immidieate and will take time to like. I was recommeded to mesuggah on the basis that I liked progressive metal such as dream theater. Dream Theater this ain't. I love the fact that you have to listen to the whole album to get the whole picture. If it was stolen, I have no idea if I'd buy it again but ask me in a week and my opinon may have changed.