Nothing review by Meshuggah

• Released: Aug 6, 2002
Meshuggah: Nothing

Meshuggah released a ground breaking album back in 2002, Nothing. This was the first time any metal band or recording artist went to the edge and back more than once in so many ways. The first being their use of insanely low tunings (no they did not use 8 string guitars to record the original Nothing). The guitar tones on the Nothing Reissue are more crushing than the original and have a much more defined sound to them. You can hear notes that you couldn't hear originally. Some songs were extended (Obsidian and Nebulous) but only the rhythm guitars were re-recorded on all the tracks. The drums were over dubbed with sampled hits to replace the cymbals and snare. They still use the original beats just triggered samples over them. Meshuggah decided to re-release this cd, remixed, largely due to the fact they had to rush to record the original version of Nothing and they said they didn't like how it sounded.

The lyrics on all Meshuggah albums are great, but this album mainly dwells in odd topics. The lyrical content is incredibly original and well thought out thanks to Tomas Haake's crazed mind! Jens' vocals are always guttral and this time around is no exception. The lyrics fit the almost mechanical music so well it's scary.

The re-release of Nothing is a great addition to any Meshuggah fan's library, especially thanks to the bonus DVD that has 3 great songs(Straws Pulled At Random, In Death Melody from Catch 33 and Future Breed Machine) from 2005's Download Fest in England. The whole album is very impressive musically, especially rhythmically. Stand out songs would be Rational Gaze, Perpetual Black Second, Closed Eye Visuals, Straws Pulled at Random and Spasm. I love how original Meshuggah can be on ever release they have. Tomas Haake and Fredrik Thordendal are 2 of the greatest musicians to ever grace this Earth and it shows all too well in both the new and old versions of Nothing.

MyFuriousNipple
    soulburn101
    The metal sound that is popular today is directly influenced by Meshuggah. I believe they invented the "breakdown" you hear in popular metalcore, and they were using 7-Strings for aggressive music before Korn. Meshuggah had alread perfected their fast, offbeat chaotic sound, and decided to go down a slower, more hellish route with Nothing. There is no virtuoso shred to impress the Cream Theater fans, and Meshuggah fans such as myself found it hard to accept at first. But with every Meshuggah album, it has to grow on you. Bottom line: Meshuggah are true innovators if nothing else. Closed Eye Visuals, Rational Gaze, and Straws Pulled at Random are my favorite tracks.
    pariah452
    Dark_Divinity
    This is in my opinion the heaviest music ever recorded. Yes the riffs may get a bit redundent to some but to me that is what drew me deeper and deeper into the music. This was my first extreme metal album and it took me about 6-7 spins to get to the point where you could take it all in. This is a great record by a great band, but definately not a record to drive to, because trying to understand the music will cause you to get into an accident...trust me.
    soulburn101
    MyFuriousNipple wrote: Actually, (I'm pretty sure of this) on the original recordings, they didn't have 8-strings yet. They used an incredibly detuned 7-string for the rhythm tracks and their normal 7-string tuning for the solo tracks. The re-release was recorded with 8-string guitars.
    I think read in Guitar World that they had the Prototypes of the Nevborns for the recording, and they wouldn't stay in tune. They had to constantly retune the guitars after laying down each part.
    The Novice
    I like their sound, but I can't really say I always listen to the whole song, 'cause often their songs just got one great bass line, drum roll, or a nice bridge..
    ready2breakdown
    i cant wait to buy the reissue of this. I cant imagine what the hell they did originally without 8 strings, but whatever. I loved Destroy, Erase, Improve and it was definitely one that I had to let sink in like all you guys said. The closest band to them that I've listened to is Mnemic. But even they arent quite so dark and just damn near spooky sometimes as Meshuggah. I cant wait to check this out, and I hope they make a new album real soon!
    ready2breakdown
    and oh yeah to my knowledge they dont use Nevborns anymore. Ibanez has actually began selling 8 strings that were inspired by meshuggah(or at least thats what the guy at namm was saying). They played Ibanez when they were still in seven, so I couldnt picture them not sticking with Ibanez. I'm even more curious what the hell gauges of strings the guitarist and BASSIST must use! And I wonder how the hell the bassist manages with their tunings.
    Fargalas
    ^The bassist doesn't exist. Meshuggah doesn't need a bassist, man. They don't have one.
    Gojira16
    hippie_punk
    Their singer - Jens Kidman - does not right the lyrics. Haake does, Mahntra you eeeeediot. Cool band, probably in my top 3 of metal.
    El_Bozo
    pariah452 wrote: Don't make me laugh. Most talented? Dream theater, Pantera, Megadeth, and Opeth. That's where true talent lies. Not in this horse shit.
    Aperantly you're too blind to see any talent. Those bands are great, but do not underestimate This band. Try to play like them first, then judge. period
    victor_swe
    well meshuggah do have a bassist. it's more lika a band with 3 bassist than with two guitars and a bass. this is one of the greatest and most talented bands ever in the history of metal. a absolute must have album!
    Kikuta
    Gojira16 wrote: Yeah, they do have a bassist. Meshuggah = most innovative metal band ever. period.
    Innovation gets old very quickly in Meshuaggah's case. You hear one album, you've heard them all. That's why I just listen to Chaosphere and naught else.