...And Justice For All review by Metallica

• Released: Aug 25, 1988
  • Users' score: 9 (1,750 votes)
Metallica: ...And Justice For All

If you like Metallica, you're likely to be sucked in from the reverse intro of "Blackened" to the abrupt end of "Dyer's Eve." Of course, we're talking about [early] Metallica, so the drumming and guitars are top-notch. But there's no bass anywhere, which pisses me off because I'm a bassist. Bass is extremely important but I've got no fuckin' clue why just 'cause Cliff died they feel like turning Jason's amps down. And we know they've been assholes-that's why Jason left. I dunno, the sound quality is all right, and the music's pretty good, but they lose points for lack of bass. Some people complain that the songs are too long, with some bordering on ten minutes. I've never really had a problem with long songs. "To Live Is to Die" is a good song, but repetitive and they could have taken a minute or two off of it. But I really don't mind.

This one seems a lot more..."mature" than the other ones. The three previous albums talked about death and monsters and shit like that, whereas this one had a little more to do with the issues of the day. And they aren't bullshit either, so it's all good. Singing's pretty good.

This one doesn't top Master, but it's a pretty nice attempt. Pretty complex, which is good with me, but it turns some people away. Psh, go buy this. Or just get a friend's copy and burn it. That's what I did - if someone took it, I'd just borrow it again and burn it. If you want to try some of the songs out, go download "Blackened" and "One" and "Dyer's Eve". Good. But there's no excuse for the lack of bass. Bassists might get pissed.