...And Justice For All review by Metallica

• Released: Aug 25, 1988
  • Users' score: 9 (1,751 votes)
Metallica: ...And Justice For All

In my opinion this album is thier best work. Kirk and James were both on top of thier game, and although Cliff is no longer with us, Jason Newsted fills in quite nicely, and this album has some of Lars' best drumming (man can he kick it). Thier overall sound is excellent with each and every song kicking as much ass as the next.

Some great lyrics on this one, dealing with the usual Metallica stuff (death, war, mass destruction, greed). As I usually like to do here's a breakdown of each song on this wonderful album: 01. Blackened - deals with the end of the world. awesome f--kin intro to this song and one of my favs overall 5/5. 02 ...And Justice For All - deals with money and the greed that ensues when people have it. Really long and some good solo work by Kirk. Good song 4.5/5. 03. Eye Of The Beholder - deals mostly with freedom (or lack of) that a lot of places live with. Good lyrics, great song 4.5/5. 04. One - oh where do I begin, this masterpiece is about a man whos lost everything due to a landmine, and only has his thoughts as company. This is my all-time favourite next to Fade To Black on Ride and Master Of Puppets. Has in my opinion one of Kirk's best solos (man I couldnt play it if I tried) and Lars' best double bass drumming 10/5. 05. The Shortest Straw - not sure what its really about but has another one of Kirks better solos and an awesome song to rock out to 5/5. 06. Harvester Of Sorrow - another one I'm not sure of. I never really got into this one but it has some decent guitar work 4/5. 07. Frayed Ends Of Sanity - c'mon, you know what this ones about (going crazy). Cool lyrics and a pretty cool solo. Solid song overall 4.5/5. 08. To Live Is To Die - semi-instrumental, with a small passage near the end which I think was written by Cliff. Cool guitar work by both James and Kirk and one of my favs on this album 5/5. 09. Dyers Eve - man he had some mean f--kin' parents I'll tell ya. Absolute thrash out speed metal here folks, and I loves it. Great solo and some right down an dirty lyrics, great song to head-bang to 5/5.

As I said before, this is my fav album by the kings of thrash metal. In my opinion it's thier best work and its the first album with Jason Newstead playing bass (I don't count the 5.95 Garage Days Revisited an album in iteself since it was re-released on Garage Inc.) Again, great work Metallica, it's why your still around today!