...And Justice For All review by Metallica

• Released: Aug 25, 1988
  • Users' score: 9 (1,751 votes)
Metallica: ...And Justice For All

The sound on this stunning album is a little different from the earlier albums (Kill 'Em All, Ride, Master). This release is the first one, after the death of bass-player Cliff Burton (died in bus-accident, in Sweden, '86). At the point of the release, there have gone nearly three years since the last one (Master Of Puppets, '86). In the start they just kicked albums out, one after one. Maybe they had to have this long break. Unfortunately you almost can't hear the bass, which I think is one of the only minuses on this record. The guitar-solo's have never been better! They all kick major ass! You can really hear that their skills have improved! They have a lot of acoustic and distortion guitar mixed, which is great. One of the characteristics of Metallica. And not to mention the many tempo-changes! Great. Lars Ulrich just keep on rocking!

Very nice lyrics, they have also had the time to do them. I listen to this album all the time, and I almost know the lyrics of four different songs in my head! They are just great! (I just wanted there to be some more lyrics and singing in "To live is to Die").

This is the best album from Metallica. None of the songs really bores you, and that's just great! I may admit, that I don't like their new styles on Load, ReLoad an St. Anger (besides induvidial songs). But I look forward to their upcoming release, I have heard it should be more old-school!

Spoonman!
    Yeah...Metallica was a great band and ...And Justice For All was by far the best album they ever made...but I can't say that Metallica makes Slayer sound like "a bunch of wussies".
    steveCFH
    KingABX345 wrote: ...And justice for all wasn't the best Metallica album u pussy bitch Master of Puppets was and Metallica does make Slayer look like pussy whiped bitches
    Give me a break. Master of Puppets wasn't that good. The best album is Ride The Lightning. It is completely flawless.
    mullenmetal
    stop arguing over which metallica album was better only thing we can say is that load re-load and st anger suck and the first 5 are amazing(first 4 are the best though)
    metallifan1
    alright sethmegadefan, grungy? grunge wasn't even out yet, and grunge is mainly in seattle, not san francisco. come on. get your facts straight.
    hammettpage
    This is by far my favorite Metallica album, and possibly my favorite album from any band. James and Kirk really explore the guitar more than they did on any other album, with more complex progressions, difficult riffs, and absolutely insane solos. Metallica displayed musicianship throughout the album that has the same caliber of The Four Horsemen and Master of Puppets. Metallica is just a lot of fun on the album, and headbanging for ten minutes during the title track and Shortest Straw cannot be beaten. To Live and to Die is also amazing; the section in the middle gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. And of course the Metallica classic One is always a treat to listen to. All in all, from start to finish, a fabulous album. It does not let down Metallica fans, and is one of the defining albums in metal.
    KingABX345
    master of puppets, kill Em' All and Ride the Lightining are the best metallica albums becuase every single song is its own master peace oll the other cd's hae some song that ISN"T bad but isn' there best
    KingABX345