...And Justice For All review by Metallica

• Released: Aug 25, 1988
  • Users' score: 9 (1,750 votes)
Metallica: ...And Justice For All

This is definitely my favorite Metallica album. It takes a few listens to take in the weird time signatures, but the more you listen the better it seems to get. Many dongs are in the 6:4 time signature. This is definitely their most sophisticated album. I particularly like the song "One" which starts out with really beautiful acoustic work, then builds up into a powerful riff, that you can't help but bang your head to.

I loved the lyrics and theme for this album. James sings about the world's corruption, decadence, and whatever else comes with it made this album one of my favorites. I'm a big fan of political themes and this is about as close as you are going to get with Metallica. The song "Blackened" is lyrically a genius song. It can be perceived in many different ways. I think of it to be a song about smoking. When James screams "Fire!" I think of lighting up. "To begin with the dance of the dead" to me is like taking a drag, and "Blackened is the end" symbolizes death.

No matter how long this band's songs are, you never seem to get bored and they are never repetitive. Just about all of the songs are over 5 minutes. Even with my musical add, I never want to skip any of the tracks. This is definitely one of the best metal albums out there. Of course I would buy a new one if it was stolen, and I would hunt the person who stole it down and castrate them.

Cresspo
    gynther flynt wrote: what's with everyone saying how bad the sound (especially the bass) is, but then giving a full 10 to the sound??!?!?!!!?!?!?!?!?!? !?!?! come on, the sound is really bad, that's what makes this record so unknown to not-so-metallica fans. the songs are really great though. by putting a 10 to everything is just proving what a bad reviewer you are, this album does not deserve it.
    I agree 100%. DONT give a 10 if you say the sound is bad...give it a 5 instead...
    mchugh92
    i agree livewire76 this new album sounds like it'll be good from what theyre telling us but it could turn out to be a big disappointment, but on-topic ...and justice for all was a great album musiacally but the production is why it isn't their all-time best, my fave songs are "one" obviously, "blackened", the title track, "harvester of sorrow" and "dyers eve" just cos of the lyrics and guitar-playing METAL UP YOUR ASS lol
    IainDavies_2
    When i bought ...And Justice For All, i had already bought: The Black Album, St. Anger, and RELoad. I only knew the song One which was great. I heard this was their heaviest album so i bought it. I loved the way it opened and i'm glad i never listened to Blackened before i bought this CD because it just encapulates something beyond this earth. i bought it in a mall and i just went to my mum's car while she was shopping and listened to the whole thing straight through. I loved the groove of the title track, that almost Testament groove. I have always said for 4 years that this is probably my ultimate Metallica Album, it's my Master Of Puppets.
    Axeman25
    derek5 wrote: Why does evryone constantly compare Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer? Slayer rules. Megadeth rules. Metallica rules. End of story.
    Thats F***** Right man end of story. And Justicice RUles!!!
    Door_Man
    Even without the bass god Cliff Burton, Metallica managed to create a kick ass album. Not as good as Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, or Kill 'Em All though. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great album. (R.I.P Cliff Burton)
    deth21
    penetratetotheh wrote: dave mustaine loves the cock
    hah!! metallica needs dave mustaine musicianship right now...for god's sake they haven't recorded a better album since load....where are they now? huh?
    dalamas wrote: anthrax rules
    yeah right, just compare the album "the sound of white noise" to "youthanasia" of megadeth...man, anthrax is a bacterial disease not a metal band..hehehe
    deth21
    metallica and megadeth rules!!! master of puppets/and justice for all & rust in peace/countdown to extinction are the best metal albums of all time...why do they have the big 4 when the truth is only metallica and megadeth can really kick's ass...slayer and anthrax are just pussies in metal world...
    derek5
    dio_dude
    Metallica are getting crapper and crapper. But nevermind that, this album is propably one of their best. P.S dont expect to much of their new album. Most metal band from back then have lost their touch(except for slayer)
    livewire76
    Was at the Oslo gig this week and they played "..and justice"! I LOVE this album! Cant wait to hear the new album.. read a comment from kirk that its the "missing link" between ..and justice and the black album!! Now THAT woulld be fairly amazing.. not holding my breath but i am crossing my fingers! lol But dont believe me! Hear kirk tell you himself! Heres the link: http://atvs.vg.no/player/rampelys/10179-... foeler-oss-som-80-t.html
    bass face 666
    this is a hella good album but it to say its the best is a bit asinine id say its their second best maybe to 'puppets and i just wanna add that the people who think that the black album is the best metallica album...are not true metallica fans o and btw..the new metallica album is going to kick ass
    IainDavies_2
    I also agreed with what that guy saying that this album was heavier than Reign In Blood. I love that album as well but it's too fast to be heavy. The heaviest riffs are the slower ones, not the ones being played at 240 bpm. There are really heavy riffs on RIB like the middle section to Angel Of Death, Jesus Saves, Postmortem, and Raining Blood, but ...AJFA is so much heavier, which is cool with me because that is what makes hte albums and ultimately the bands different.