...And Justice For All review by Metallica

• Released: Aug 25, 1988
  • Users' score: 9 (1,750 votes)
Metallica: ...And Justice For All

AJFA is a thrash-era album by Metallica. If you hear all those Metallica fans bashing them lately, it's due to the fact that these fans have been used to albums such as this. This is pure metal madness, back in the days where Hammett ripped ass all over the place, where Lars actually sounded good, and great thrash vocals. I wont mention bass, since they basically removed Jason Newstead from the mix. If you're a fan of guitarists (such as myself), this is the album for you. Pure insanity of the guitar, sweet riffs, solos, everything you could ask for. This album is intense, one of those metal albums that gets your head bobbing, foot tapping, or whatever you do when you hear that metal groove.

Typical thrash vocals. James Hetfield really doesn't stray from this style. It sounds good, but has less versatility in his voice throughout this album than an album like their self-titled. The lyrics really do match the style though. The lyrics are powerful, regardless of meaning. If you're one of those guys that questions the lyrical quality of metal music, look no further than the song "One". I won't spoil it for you, but I could considering a lengthy, epic, amazing song is anything but rare on this album.

Overall, AJFA is sick (excuse my teenage metalhead lingo). It has really risen in the ranks of best Metallica albums since I started to really get into it. A true testament to Kirk Hammett's guitar playing career. Inspiring for any metal fan. The most impressive songs? Pick a random one and there you go. For me personally, I love "One", "Blackened", and the title track the most. All are great, lengthy songs. If I lost this album, I'd gladly go out and buy a copy. Well worth the price.

Smithsc
    Very aggressive and definatly one of favorites! The instrumentals never cease to amaze me!
    Cranker
    I think thioffer. every guitar solo is absolutes is by far the best album this planet has to ly amazing. plus i think the lack of bass almost makes it better? (dont kill me) but it makes it sound unique and a bit more ronchy
    dark_falco3000
    mullenmetal wrote: this was the first album i bought of Metallica, and it kicks ass. theres no way you can diss this album, theres nothing bad about it. um how about terrible production.....non existant bass.....questionable song structures.....not metallicas best 7/10
    Yeah, I'm not sure if Newsted did anything on the album at all, aside from co-compose some of it. Anyway, are you criticising Metallica for being different? This "questionable song structures" argument you put there... it seems as though you don't like bands going outside of the norm. Go listen to some Dream Theater. You'll realise that it's possible to be awesome and yet different at the same time. Anyway, aside from the horrible production quality, this is a great album. My favourite, in fact, alongside MoP.
    queenslander47
    great album, personally i think ride the lighting is metallicas best ever album but this one is damn good one is probably every metallica fans favourtie song because it is bloody perfect, my other favourties are dyers eve, ...and justice for all and blackend
    NeoNoks
    lol are you serious? its a masterpiece
    TheMetallicaKid
    "There are many things wrong with the sound, here are just a few: the bass (played by Metallica debutant Jason Newstead) is non-existent, the drums are too loud and some of the guitar solos sound truly ridiculous." Ummm...excuse me? THATS WHAT MAKES THE ALBUM GOOD!
    jiggy low-ballz
    I am torn between Justice adn Master of Puppets as my fave Metallica albums. Justice is technalicly superior for sure but Master's just has something that pulls you in. Overall the best metal band ever for sure, Megadeth second(any surprise Dave was in Metallica?) and Black Sabbath.
    metallica_102
    Give me a break. Master of Puppets wasn't that good. The best album is Ride The Lightning. It is completely flawless
    puppets was really good but ride the lightning was ****ing epic
    gh3man1
    this album is great i love the tribute metallica does for cliff burton....it shows how the band truly cared for cliff and how he has improved there writing skills for writing music R.I.P cliff burton
    edgeyyz
    btw, I don't have anything against Slayer, but...METAL UP YOUR ASS
    edgeyyz
    to all you morons saying Slayer is the greatest thrash metal band - you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Slayer is speed metal and Metallica is thrash metal. get it straight
    pag_slash_2
    ...and justice for all sounds like it was played on a Marshall MG... When you get past the wierd song structures and bad production it's a good album though.
    [x]Huffy[x]
    Look, everyone commenting about the lack of bass... THERE IS AN UNOFFICIAL ALBUM OUT FOR DOWNLOAD CALLED "AND JUSTICE FOR JASON". SOMEONE APPLIED LOUDER BASS TO ALL THE TRACKS. ITS A LOT BETTER, BUT ITS NOT AMAZING. DOWNLOAD IT. YOU'LL FIND IT ON THE PIRATE BAY. Sorry bout the caps lock, but I felt that everyone needed to see that. Also, this is easily the best Metallica album. "Master.." had like two/three good songs maximum.
    boogeyton
    I think that you need to look again at the beginning of what you said. The solos are NOT ridiculous and the drum volume is just fine. You need to listen to the album again
    jman141
    This is without a doubt THE best Metallica album ever. It does not get enough credit.
    wildchild6660
    One is one of my favorite metallica songs ever. Its too bad the production was so bad. They should re-record it or something
    Zturm
    In my opinion One,Fade to Black,and Master of puppets in that order are Metallicas 3 best songs.
    You should browse more into their work. Just an advice!
    shredtilurdead
    Sanitarium91
    Great album, I recommend it. But you can tell that the've used a lot of fancy words on this one, so much that they must've used the dictionary here a little lol. But it fits and sounds great.
    MetalheadMark
    That guy who said this is the heaviest album ever needs to listen Annihilation of The Wicked by Nile. I don't think I've heard anything heavier. (I could be very wrong though ) Still, this album is awesome