...And Justice For All review by Metallica

• Released: Aug 25, 1988
  • Users' score: 9 (1,751 votes)
Metallica: ...And Justice For All

I believe in this album Metallica evolved as a band a lilttle bit in a good way. They've still got the thrashical goodness that made them who they were, but there's also a little bit more to this album. The solos seem very original and yet way different in every song. I think this is the album where Kirk wrote his best music.

The lyrics to this album focus mainly on death and justice, as would be expected, but they are well-crafted, and I feel this album to include some of James best work, lyrically, and of course, with the rhythms. The lyrics match the music well, and this is one of the last albums with James' old voice, which many fans, myself included, like.

This is one of my favorite Metallica albums, and I definitely feel like it is their best work. It's hard to go down the album and pick out my favorite songs, but I'll try. These are songs I really think are great: Blackened, And Justice For All, Eye of the Beholder, One, To Live Is To Die, The Shortest Straw, Harvestor Of Sorrow, The Frayed Ends of Sanity, Dyers Eve. Each song has it's own feeling to it, and the songs mix well together, so I had to put down each of them. If some kind of asshole deleted the songs off my computer and trashed my CD, I would definitely buy it again. /v\ETALLIC/\!

guitarfreak222
    Modernmusich8er wrote: The best Metallica album is easily Kill Em All
    Kill'em all was more hardcore punk sounding... There other stuff is way better since they perfected their thrash metal style on ride the lightning.
    oldmetallica
    guitarfreak222
    oldmetallica wrote: I am sick and tired of people claiming that Jason's bass is not existent in this album. It's just a different style than Cliff. If you guys actually listen you will hear the bass VERY well. Like I said, its just a different style. OH and guitarfreak222 I don't know where you got the idea that Kill 'Em All is Punk....
    It was leaning more into the punk genre, it was still metal though, even metallica admitted it. They kinda invented their thrash style combining metal and punk.
    dark_falco3000
    Even Newsted said that he couldn't hear is bass on the album. If he can't hear it, and he's the one who played it, then I'm fairly certain that you can't. Btw, listen to the S&M version of One (unfortunately that's the only song from this album that was played there). It sounds fairly different with the bass. Which pretty much proves the lack of bass. No one's denying that the style is different to Cliff's epic lead bass style, but that doesn't change the fact that it's pretty much inaudible on this album.
    StratStar21
    This an awesome cd, but Metallica is the #1 most overated band EVER(let the flaming begin). Lars is such a bad drummer without a studio, his style fits Metallica perfectly, but he's incredibly one-dimension,There are so many more skilled drummers such as Neil Peart that are underated for no reason, and some of Kirks solos are so drowned with WahWah I can hardly discern them and while he has good technical skill he's nowhere near as good as people make him out to be, many of his contemporaries such as Marty Friedman are much tastier players. Hetfield, however, is a very good rythym guitarist, but do they really deserve 2 PAGES of different reviews while other great bands like Kansas, who are my favorite group ever have ZERO. Also, im really starting to tire of all the reviewers who make a detrimental comment on a category but then slap a 10 on it just cause they like the band. If your not gonna make an unbias review, even when it comes to your favorite bands, then dont review! Guess theres just more Metallica lovers out there and on this site, i just wish there were reviews for more diverse groups on here, its great for people to broaden their musical taste in my opinion. Oh well, guess i better go write some reviews, part 1 coming soon, LEFTOVERTURE!
    msteryman3
    ...And Justice for all is one of there best albums, but most of the songs were just lacking what the other 3 albums laid out for us. My favorite has to be ride the lightning, or master of the puppets. I'm not saying it was bad because i like a few of those songs, but it wasn't good enough.