A Year And A Half In The Life Of Metallica [DVD] review by Metallica

• Released: Nov 17, 1992
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Metallica: A Year And A Half In The Life Of Metallica [DVD]

Originally this was released on video. I had to buy this on Region from USA but that was a while ago so you can probably find it in Europe now. The sound is what we have come to expect from the mighty Metallica perfect. I have to say I have seen all of Metallica's DVDs and this is probably my favourite. The DVD is basically the making of the Black Album (part 1) and The Black Album Tour (part 2) All the sound is terrific especially the sound for the live shows.

Content — 10
Part 1, the making of Black Album is simply hilarious and very interesting. It just shows a spread of days in the studio and what Metallica where up to with reviews with the band and Bob Rock. It shows everything from James tightening up his vocal lines, to Kirk writing the right solo (wait till you heare the original Unforgiven solo, it sounded terrible) to Lars' Axl Rose like tantrums while Jason just chills out in the background.

Part 2 is Metallica on the road, I believe this is definately the best part. It shows Metallica in hotels, arenas before shows, after shows, on their private jet, airport, everywhere, the cameras don't stop rolling. It is so good, an essentail for any Metallica fan. It doesn't really have extras, but it doesn't need them it is jam packed. It has all the videos for the Black Album singles and has live performances of For Whom The Bell Tolls, Sad But True, Enter Sandman at the Freddie Mercury tribute show, James playing with Queen for Stone Cold Crazy at the same show, Enter Sandman at the MTV video music awards, Grammy highlights and of course some interesting scenes on tour with Guns N' Roses. Pretty exhausted typing all that stuff.

Production Quality — 10
It is pretty basic, simple menus where you can't do much but who cares?

This DVD, if you haven't realised by now rocks hard. It is one of the best music DVDs ever released. I love it. Originally 2 videos, squeezed onto DVD with fantastic features and content. This is not a live performance, it is more band related as in finding out what made the Metallica machine tick, with pletny of live footage of course but not a full live gig like Cunning Stunts or Live Shit. It clocks in at around 4 hours and it is worth every penny. Buy it or forever be doomed in the litte hole you live in.