Classic Albums - Metallica: Metallica [DVD] review by Metallica

• Released: Nov 6, 2001
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 9
Metallica: Classic Albums - Metallica: Metallica [DVD]

The story of the making of the Black Album is told here via exclusive interviews, archive footage and performance, with contributions from preducer Bob Rock, band members James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Kirk Hammett and Jason Newsted. There are some, previously never heard, demo recordings also featured on this DVD. The DVD is pretty awesome, good interviews. The sound, is ok. This is not an album dependent on the sound. It is more of a content based type of thing. Some highlights are Kirk's solo on wherever I may roam, watching them at the mixing boards playing around with the sound and hearing all the seperate guitar parts.

Content — 9
This is the best part of the DVD. In every DVD, the first thing one looks towards is the content and, the content featured here is great. There are alot of interviews, some of which were nothing new, but most of which were quite informative. there are interviews with all the band members and producer Bob Rock. You get to listen to previously unheard demo recordings, and the five singles off of "The Black Album" are on this DVD: "Enter Sandman," "Holier Than Thou," "Sad But True," "The Unforgiven" and "Nothing Else Matters." As far as the interviews are concerned, it was very interesting when James Hetfield told the stories of when and how he wrote "Nothing Else Matters" and "The God That Failed." Hetfield also talked about how he and the band members in Metallica faced difficulties in their childhoods and how music was what guided them through all the tough times in their childhoods. I liked the content, found some of the interviews great, on the whole pretty good actually.

Production Quality — 9
Good production quality. Clear sound, even though the tracks are demo ones. I liked the production. The editing was perfect, there is no interview that begins to bore you or tend to drag. Great. The Dolby 2.0 Stereo sound is appropriately pummeling, even if there are only mere excerpts from the songs.

This is overall a very good DVD, and worth it. Lars, Hetfield and Bob do most of the taliking as far as the interviews are concerned. There are some stories, which were really new to me, so on the whole I liked. Actually speaking, there is nothing at all wrong with the DVD, yet I would've preffered some more songs. Nevertheless, a brilliant DVD and a must buy. Don't even think of comparing it to Cunning Stunts, Year and a half etc. because this is more of ducumentary. And a good one.

genresrforposer
    MetalFever666 wrote: Metallica started out awesome and as they gained more fame they started making more mainstream-suitable music. They sold out and went downhill. No one can disagree with that because it's the truth. They been winning "The best hard rock performance" instead of "the best metal performance" That tell you anything? It should. St. Anger was just a pathetic attempt and a poor excuse to make a comeback. They'll have to work their butts off if they want their reputation back.
    I CAN disagree: those awards say that tallica can pull of hard rock as well as metal. and btw wen we say "selling out" wat does that mean exactly? rolling stones, ramones, elvis, johnny cash, etc all sold out on a regular basis but we think it's ok for them but not newer bands. but they didnt sell out the bad way, it's just that more ppl liked their music. the bad way to sell out is to make albums you dont like b/c u kno u'll get enuff ppl 2 buy it based on singles. james hetfield loves playing fuel cuz it gets him pumped up(sed on skom dvd extras) n if u ever see the live dvd S&M dvd he and tha rest of tha band are loving playing the songs from 'load', 'reload'. now if u changed ur sound in a way u liked n got more attention n money for it n enjoyed the hell outta tha new fans n satisfaction u got from playing it dont sit here n try to convince me u'd go back to humble begginnings. o and btw, joey ramone wanted to turn the ramones into a more pop-sounding band b/c he LIKED that type of music. u got 4 classic cds, n theyll play their old stuff if u go to a concert, thats way more than u get outta most bands. they don't owe u ne more. u can listen to other bands for God's sake.
    S&M
    METALLICA IS THE GREATEST METAL BAND EVER! THEY RULE, THEY POWN, THEY KICK ASS, HOWEVER YOU WANNA PUT IT!
    Sixpounder
    and Metallica stoped playin thrash after ride the lightning, and Master was just full on METAL
    MetalFever666
    guitar7masta
    MetalFever666, your an idiot, they didn't sellout. I love their old stuff too, everybody does, but like Quicksilvertrut stated above, if they played the same old music for 25 years, i wouldn't buy any of their albums, because i would know it would be exactly the same as the last album. for example i used to like Linkin Park, but every single album is the same, so i stopped buying their albums because it sucks, there's no change, i think by now we would all be sick of the same old music day in and day out, so if you have a dumbass comment like that, do us all a favor and keep it to yourself
    Blackskall
    Actually I wouldn't mind if metallica wrote the same stuff over and over again because it would still sound kick a$$, but if you saw Some Kind of Monster I think the band was working on some old "issues" during making this album and the new direction they went in really made St. Anger suck big time. I mean "Load" and "Reload" were decient but they were no "Justice for all" or "master of puppets". Personally I think they went downhill after "the Black album". I fear metallica will never make the music we love again.
    mikecappa
    I agree with the people that say Metallica need to go to their old roots. I love Metallica but I think James pussied out after the black album. You don't hear that raw Hetfield sound anymore, he's gone and went soft on us.
    eplp22
    Quicksilvertrut I agree with you completley, except for the fact that you said 30 years. Its more like 15 cuz they stopped playing thrash with load. And theyve only been together fer like 25 years maybe.
    NemesisX
    I don't think he did. His guitar work is getting more and more impressive, and his voice is still flawless. You have to remember.. they've been at the top forever. They might as well change their sound, because what else can they achieve? Hetfield is my hero; he is the reason I play guitar. Ok, that might sound sad, but they are my hugest influence ever. So rock on 'Tallica, I hope on the next album you shut everyone who doubted you up.
    i_am_iron_man09
    tamargoguitar wrote: anyone notice that in the preview he said WHEREVE I MAY ROAM was one of the 5 singles, then in content he said that HOLIER THAN THOU was one of the 5 singles wtf?
    that was planned to be the title track on the album. then they wrote Enter Sandman. then, i guess they didn't give it an official title.
    MetalFever666
    guitar7master, as you can see, after you posted a comment, there are people who say would have preferred that they kept their original sound. and as you also see many people agree that metallica went downhill, got softer, and don't have the "raw hetfield sound anymore". You are entitled to your opinion, and we're to ours. So next time you try arguing with someone be more mature and don't say words like 'idiot' and 'dumbass'. It just makes you sound like an 11-year-old who can't find a better word to say. And about the selling out part. For some bands it works, and for some bands it doesn't like. Just speaking as a fan of Metallica's earlier and more metal works. Metallica became famous through metal, and I think it would've pleased their fans better if they stayed Metal instead of selling out to the media.
    eplp22
    Im sory I dont mean to be a dick, I really sounded like a perfectionist jackass. I didnt mean to be. The point is, is they cant play the same style of music over, and over again and expect to stay sane.
    vdude
    Metallica's old shit kicked major ass, the newest album St. Anger wasnt horrible but the drums sounded like ****in tin cans. Cant wait till there next release, supposed to be out at the end of 06
    scottishmob
    Their old stuff was awesome but I think the newer stuff kicks a lot of ass, too. I got this (actually the VHS version), its pretty sweet but I would have liked it to be longer.
    Bubonic Chronic
    Blackskall
    Bubonic Chronic wrote
    I agree they should stop trying to go in new directions and play the heavy metal music we know and love!
    ducttaperules56
    Bubonic Chronic wrote: Why don't they just write new (good) material? Oh yah, they're washed up and scraping the barrel for scraps to throw at us, er I mean sell us. Even the idea of their attempts to milk us with this one makes my nipples raw.
    This isn't new material dumbshit, this is just a review of a DVD that documents one of their greatest albums ever. Go complain about your raw nipples to someone who cares, if there is anybody.
    tamargoguitar
    robuce
    muzic_sk8
    metallica is my favorite band, that is my second favorite album of theirs i will definetaly buy this dvd
    GlamSpam
    I'm a true Metallica fan and I think even their new stuff is good. I'm not trying to defend them or anything. I'd rather listen to St. Anger then all the other albums these days.
    gnr_fan_17
    sum_english_guy
    robuce wrote: you know what, all the douche bags who arent true metallica fans should stop whinig about them going back to their old material and write "good" stuff again, they changed with the times and experimentes, i find that its all good, i like the older stuff better, but thats not the point. their newer material is just as meaningfull to them as the old stuff and they just changed their writing methods to fit the times. cause after the black album, their thrash days were over.
    YEAH the old stuff was better but the new stuff is still good
    genresrforposer
    gnr_fan_17 wrote: Yeah Metallica rules! Their new albums aren't as good but their still one of the best metal bands and I really hope Rubin will direct in the right path, back to the thrash we all know and love.
    y'know if you check sum of the old metallica albums that were produced by bob rock it says "produced by bob rock WITH HETFIELD & ULRICH." it was not entirely bob's doing
    Jackolas
    This article reminded me to get cunning stunts today. I think all of Metallica's stuff is exellent apart from "I dissapear"... Well, i don't remember it being very good when I listened to it a few weeks back, and st anger isnt my cup of tea. Apart from that its class.
    Quicksilvertrut
    It's friggintly simple. Each of the members has a diffrent style and times move so do their styles stop and think for a moment, whilst you and I love their songs the old thrash we can turn it off and go do some thing else, they lived and breathed that around 30 years guys. The need to change some what to keep them selves busy as such. You stop and think could YOU play the same song every day for 30 years the write more of the same kind of stuff? And this complaing about them not making new albums? Give it time people the longer they take the better it will be one would say. And anyone ANYONE who says they are a fan yet in the same hand says the new stuff suck its not as good as the old stuff they shouldn't have made st.anger blarh blarh shut up.. go boil your head in a soup. Metallica are truly gods we should be fans and be happy for what ever greatness they toss us and be there for the band. They have had their hardships us screaming at them for any small problems is stupid they are better then you so deal with it mortals!