Cliff 'Em All [DVD] review by Metallica

• Content: 4
  • Production Quality: 4
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Metallica: Cliff 'Em All [DVD]

I'll be straight with you. This DVD sounds terrible. However, it's not like professionals were recording Metallica, it's all bootleg except for one MTV special. The sound's ok for bootleg, and it's quite funny to hear drunk guys in the cround singing along (only a few parts), something you wouldn't get from a professional DVD. Cliff is pretty awesome, however, during a solo intro to For Whom The Bell Tolls (the rest of the song was cut off-grr), there's some massive high pitched feedback right when he launches into some low end awesomeness, and you can't here him.

Content — 4
The content is horrible. If you've already seen the VHS version, there's nothing for you here. The content certainly doesn't justify spending $18 for it. There are no special features (they didn't even take the photos and interviews out of the movie part and put them by themselves). There is no extra footage. Just 90 min of Metallica bootleg footage. Before I bought this I was under the impression that Cliff improvised his solos. He doesn't. It's all anesthesia, with a couple minor differences. Plus there's only four different solos - 2 anesthesias and 2 pre-bells solos, only one of which goes into the actual song. Plus there's three songs from some metal fest in Germany (or some European country, includes wierd Seek And Destroy 'music video') in 1984 yet only one from 'A Day On The Green (an MTV special)' which was clearly the best footage on the whole DVD. The content on this DVD is what disappointed me the most. For $20, couldn't you add some stuff to the DVD that wasn't on the VHS? Let's run through a hypothetical conversation:

James: Hey dude, we should add some stuff to the Cliff'em All VHS and sell it as a dvd, showcasing even more Cliff live stuff.

Lars: I got a better idea-all we have to do is transfer Cliff'em All to DVD, add a scene selector, and we can sell it for $10 (I have no idea how much the VHS cost) more. No work involved.

Production Quality — 4
They pretty much just added a scene selector-no extra footage, nothing. I said this above, but it's just like watching the VHS yet being able to select the scene you want to watch (i.e. the photos aren't taken outta the footage and placed in their own place in a 'special features' menu. The opening menu is pretty cool though, although I wish they would've had live footage of The Thing That Should Not Be as opposed to just the song during the menu. Plus you'd think they could've taken the feedback out of Cliff's pre-bells solo, but I guess they're too lazy.

I love seeing Cliff. He's what inspired me to pick up a bass and getting this sealed the deal for me (getting a bass wise). However, this simply isn't worth $18. Cliff plays the same solo over and over (well twice, but it's the same one that's on Kill 'em All). If this was stolen or I 'losted' it, I might buy it on Ebay or Amazon or half.com for $10. Don't make my mistake, don't pay more than $10 for it unless you are seriously addicted to Cliff, and ignoring all the other much better bass players out there.