Cliff 'Em All [DVD] Review

artist: Metallica date: 12/15/2004 category: compact discs
Metallica: Cliff 'Em All [DVD]
Released: Nov 17, 1987
"Cliff 'Em All," Metallica's first video, is a tribute to late original bassist Cliff Burton. James Hetfield describes it as "a compilation of bootleg footage shot by sneaky Metallifux, stuff shot for TV that was never used, but we've held onto, home footage, personal photos and us drunk."
 Content: 6.7
 Production Quality: 4.3
 7.1
 6.3
 7.9
Cliff 'Em All [DVD] Reviewed by: EET_FUK_BASS, on december 15, 2004

Sound: I'll be straight with you. This DVD sounds terrible. However, it's not like professionals were recording Metallica, it's all bootleg except for one MTV special. The sound's ok for bootleg, and it's quite funny to hear drunk guys in the cround singing along (only a few parts), something you wouldn't get from a professional DVD. Cliff is pretty awesome, however, during a solo intro to For Whom The Bell Tolls (the rest of the song was cut off-grr), there's some massive high pitched feedback right when he launches into some low end awesomeness, and you can't here him. // 6

Overall Impression: I love seeing Cliff. He's what inspired me to pick up a bass and getting this sealed the deal for me (getting a bass wise). However, this simply isn't worth $18. Cliff plays the same solo over and over (well twice, but it's the same one that's on Kill 'em All). If this was stolen or I 'losted' it, I might buy it on Ebay or Amazon or half.com for $10. Don't make my mistake, don't pay more than $10 for it unless you are seriously addicted to Cliff, and ignoring all the other much better bass players out there. // 6

Cliff 'Em All [DVD] Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 10, 2006

Sound: OK, so the sound quality is not good. But only an idiot would expect a DVD full of 20 year old bootlegs to have good sound. What you hear however, is great. Metallica when they were young and unrefined. If your not much of a fan of early metallica and thrash metal in general, don't get this, get Cunning Stunts or S&M (also great DVD's). The quality of the recording is bad, but the band is awesome. // 6

Overall Impression: 8 is a little higher than the sum of the sections. But I feel justified in doing this. If what I have described above is what you want and are expecting, this is great. Live on Cliff in our memories and in this DVD which will help bring Cliff to Metallica fans that arn't even born today. // 8

Cliff 'Em All [DVD] Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on march 06, 2006

Sound: Metallica's first video is a tribute to their original bassist Cliff Burton, who died tragically in a tour bus accident. It looks at Metallica's three and a half years with Burton and includes some of his best performances and bass solos. Metallica saddened by the death of their bassist and friend Cliff Burton, released this video in 1987 as an ode, remembering the member of the Metallica family. It reminds me of what Metallica was at that time, raw, and full of energy. A great sound, sounding completely raw and unedited. // 9

Overall Impression: This remains a metal lovers DVD, for all metallica lovers, burton lovers, this is the DVD. With a great song list, and Cliff Burton's deadly bass solos and intros, this is the ultimate bassist's DVD. But don't expect high resolution display, it is more of an angry, highly volitile, metal DVD. // 8

Comments