Cunning Stunts [DVD] review by Metallica

• Released: Dec 8, 1998
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Metallica: Cunning Stunts [DVD]

Cunning Stunts, a live performance that was really not like the general Metallica concerts that I've been to or seen. They did play the classic Kill 'Em All's Motorbreath and Ride The Lightning's For Whom The Bell Tolls, ...And Justice For All's One and Black's Enter Sandman which were the highlights of the entire show. The reason I say that this wasn't the classic metallica concerts was because, first of all, Metallica had short hair. Their hair cut, which caused an uproar among metal lovers, was a stunt to show that Metallica are modern. Sencondly, the general metallica concerts or DVDs of their concerts are all raw, hardcore and mean. This one though, was more toned down and edited. But despite all these differences, Cunning Stunts happens to be among the greatest live shows ever. In the DVD, One starts off with the image of a flame of a lighter. And during the "Darkness..." part there are landmines blown off. Almost hypnotizing your body and during the solo your body does an involuntory action of headbanging. This is a great live performance, and though I had many problems with the band's new look at first, I now absolutely admire their performance on their custom made live performance - The Cunning Stunts.

Content — 9
This DVD has great songs like For Whom The Bell Tolls, One and Master Of Puppets if I'm not mistaken. I love the Visuals in One and I love the part of the prayer in Enter Sandman. I got shocked when I heard fuel on the disc as it has different lyrics. I prefer the original, by far. Hetfield's voice was supreme. The disc also has King Nothing in it. The Cunning Stunts was a preview of their albums Load and Reload, with a blend of Metallica's classics.

Production Quality — 10
Well, this performance shows metallica's experience and just their style. They are in a league of their own in the DVD. The production quality is superb. It is minblowing, the detail put into each shot is fantastic. The cunning stunts is an apt name for the DVD as it has a lot of Cunning Stunts in it. The effects put in the disc are great. They truly come out in dim lighted rooms, as I have observed when I went to see it in my friend's house.

Well, this has all the effects, the awesome voice of Hetfield and oviously spectacular visuals. During the solos, Kirk, Hetfield and Jason are like playing 'em while running around to acknowledge the crowd. The DVD just has a great feel to it. The best visuals are in One, by far. Even For whom the bell toll's is mezmerizing. The only critiscm I have with this album is that even though it has the greatest everything, it just doesn't feel like the classic Metallica concert. But more like a media stunt. Nevertheless, it is a great experience. You have to see the video. I would say yes for sure, if you asked me if it was worth buying. If it were lost or something I'd buy it again, maybe, but it would be really tough to choose between Cunning Stunts and Live Shit Binge And Purge. I think I'd go with the latter.