Cunning Stunts [DVD] review by Metallica

• Released: Dec 8, 1998
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 9
Metallica: Cunning Stunts [DVD]

This is a live DVD and it is Brilliant! It is at Fort Worth, Texas. James Hetfield's voice sounds perfect and Kirk Hammett plays all the right notes. Lars Ulrich keeps the beat and Jason Newsted shows off his skills as a bassist by doing a small solo. Some of the songs sound a bit different from usual such as One but I think that's just because of the effects being used.

Content — 10
Ok well on this DVD their are two discs and their is altogether 20 tracks including a medley. Altogether the DVD is 175 minutes long and their are lots of extras. There is a photo gallery with over 1000 pictures from the tour, band interviews, a documentary, behind the scenes footage and three songs have a choice of camera angle, these songs are Ain't My Bitch, For Whom The Bell Tolls and Wherever I May Roam. The DVD also has Dolby Digital surround sound.

Production Quality — 9
There are lots of tricks and technologies used in ths DVD hense the name Cunning Stunts. There are stuntmen that do crazy in air tricks and their is a man who runs on stage that is on fire. There is also the usual idiots jumping on stage but the security guard soon sorts him out. There are flame effects, fancy lighting and at the start of One their are explosions to imitate the bombing that we here at the start of the studio version.

This DVD is brilliant, it has brought my opinion of Metallica to the next level. I have a live U2 DVD and compared to this it is utter crap. The most impressive thing about the dvd is the amount of extra footage included. I love everything about this DVD but especially Metallica's stage presence and the way they get the crowd going. Hetfield knows what the crowds want to hear. The worst things about this dvd is that Master Of Puppets is shortened and their is a tacky phaser effect that is used on For Whom The Bell Tolls. If this dvd was stolen I would definitely buy it again. If you see this DVD anywhere don't hesitate to buy it.