Cunning Stunts [DVD] review by Metallica

• Released: Dec 8, 1998
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 8
Metallica: Cunning Stunts [DVD]

The sound quality of the DVD was fairly good, and Lars, James, Jason and Kirk project live what they can do in the studio, which is what people would expect of a band of this calibre. However, I think that Kirk Hammett's guitar could have been turned up a little bit in post production/editing, as it was hard to hear some of his guitar solos, especially early on in the concert. This kind of dampened the viewing and listening experience of the whole thing, what's a Metallica song if you can't hear Kirk's blistering solos properly?

Content — 9
Cunning Stunts is a live DVD and has a load of extra content for the viewer's appeasement. These extras include mulit-view angles of particular songs ("Ain't My Bitch, "For Whom The Bell Tolls" and "Wherever I May Roam"). These angles provide and interesting take on what each member of the band is doing, as opposed to the band as a whole. Also on the DVD is a photo gallery, behind the scenes footage and band interviews. The set list features a great range of songs from each of their albums up to the concert performance, including the as-of-then unreleased 'Fuel'. On a personal level, I was a bit unhappy that classics such as 'The Call Of Ktulu' and 'Battery' had been omitted from the set list, as had the full version of 'Master Of Puppets'. Other than that, there's really no complaints about the set list. Another great feature in the concert itself is the 'Destruction Scene'. I won't ruin it for anybody that's not seen it, but the behind-the-scenes 'making of' featurette is an interesting one to watch through too.

Production Quality — 8
Overall quality of the production was fantastic, what with the multiple camera angles on selected songs, and additions such as pyrotechnics to the show make the whole feel of the DVD that much better. Showing shots of the band interacting with the crowd during the show added to the feel that you were there, along with James getting stuck in to the crowd and getting them to pretty much bend to his will, sort of makes you repeat what he says at home. I know I've found myself absent mindedly repeating what James tells the crowd to do at home.

Comparing this live DVD to others that I have bought and others I've watched (Q.O.T.S.A. 'Over The Years And Through The Woods', Nirvana 'Live! Tonight! Sold Out! and so on), this would definitely be up there amongst the favourites. It's one of those concerts where it doesn't matter how many times you've watched or listened to it, it doesn't get boring, and you can just stick it in your DVD player and rock out to it. Great stuff. As with all good things though, it comes to an end, even if it shouldn't! That being said, the concert could've been longer, although I can imagine performing in front of a stadium full of people for two hours would be tiring. The one thing that really annoyed me about the DVD though was the fact it was split in to two discs. This means that you can't just pop it in the player and listen to a few hours of uninterrupted metal madness. Quite unfortunate. So, if some fool had the guts to steal this DVD from me, for sure I'd hunt him down and castrate him. I don't think there's a live concert DVD that could replace this one.

-metalhead-
    James gets one serious voice change in the middle of "Aint my bitch" God thats FUNNY! DVD rocks by the way..
    8-Foot-666
    That comment in the review that they make no mistakes is actually wrong. Metallica is like the best band ever and stuff but during the solo on One on the DVD Kirk actually plays out of time for a bit. U should check it out. its a litle bit funny. METALLICA!!
    metal4ever6328
    metallica_102
    u are so right he does the bends a lil off but a minor mistake cos he kicks ass in the fade to black solo
    pantallica95
    metal4ever6328 wrote: One time me and my cousin were talking and he screwed up the name and said "Stunning Cunts" LOL!!!!!
    thats why they call it Cunning Stunts, so if you switch the letters, it does that! lol.
    MotörHeadFan22
    Fuel, is the original one lol, its pretty cool seeing what the song originally was, this is the "Fuel For Fire" version, its pretty good lol great dvd though!
    guitarabei
    I SAW THE DVD SHOW.OH MY GOD !!FUCKING GREAT . WE ARE METALLICA BOYS ,LIVE IN A METALLICA HOUSE.METALLICA IS MY GOD .THIS IS WHAT I AM THINK !!!METALLICA GOD@#$%