Cunning Stunts [DVD] Review

artist: Metallica date: 10/01/2004 category: compact discs
Metallica: Cunning Stunts [DVD]
Released: Dec 8, 1998
This is an interesting show. This is right in the thick of the "Load" tour when Metallica were trying something different.
 Content: 9.5
 Production Quality: 9.2
 9.4
 8.6
 1,989
Cunning Stunts [DVD] Reviewed by: narmi, on october 01, 2004

Sound: Fan bloody tastic. The sound is absolutely flawless as all Metallica live shows are anyway. It is amazing. They play to perfection live and do not make any errors, the sound to the solos is superb and no mistakes are made. The singing as usual by James can not be put down, a legend that Mr Hetfield is. // 10

Overall Impression: Fantastic, my favourite performance is probably it's so hard to choose! But the bass and guitar doodle is definatley a highlight, even though Kirk plays pretty simple stuff compared to Live Shit. I would definately buy it again, awesome. // 10

Cunning Stunts [DVD] Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2005

Sound: This is an amzing DVD. It's recorded in fort worth Texas and Hetfield's interaction with the crowd is great. It was recorded during the load tour which in my opinion is their worst album but they mainly play their classics. Metallica don't make one mistake live and Kirk Hammet does some amazing wah pedal effects. Also Hetfield just randomly swears half way through the songs and changes some of the words which is erm strange. // 10

Overall Impression: It's the only dvd I have of Metallica but I love it I recommend every Metallica fan buys this along with Live S--t because my friend has that and thats even better. If it were stolen I'd kick the s--t out of whoever stole it and retrieve it but if that fails then I'd buy it again. // 10

Cunning Stunts [DVD] Reviewed by: Sorcerer Steve, on november 23, 2005

Sound: The songs on this DVD are ace! The guitar is awesome, especially the solos which rock! The quality of sound was good and the vocals were great and the lyrics made it even better. // 9

Overall Impression: The most impressive things about the DVD are the brillaint songs. My personal favourite is the introduction to the second disc. There is not much bad about the DVD. I would maybe buy another copy of the DVD depending on the price. // 9

Cunning Stunts [DVD] Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on january 16, 2006

Sound: Cunning Stunts, a live performance that was really not like the general Metallica concerts that I've been to or seen. They did play the classic Kill 'Em All's Motorbreath and Ride The Lightning's For Whom The Bell Tolls, ...And Justice For All's One and Black's Enter Sandman which were the highlights of the entire show. The reason I say that this wasn't the classic metallica concerts was because, first of all, Metallica had short hair. Their hair cut, which caused an uproar among metal lovers, was a stunt to show that Metallica are modern. Sencondly, the general metallica concerts or DVDs of their concerts are all raw, hardcore and mean. This one though, was more toned down and edited. But despite all these differences, Cunning Stunts happens to be among the greatest live shows ever. In the DVD, One starts off with the image of a flame of a lighter. And during the "Darkness..." part there are landmines blown off. Almost hypnotizing your body and during the solo your body does an involuntory action of headbanging. This is a great live performance, and though I had many problems with the band's new look at first, I now absolutely admire their performance on their custom made live performance - The Cunning Stunts. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, this has all the effects, the awesome voice of Hetfield and oviously spectacular visuals. During the solos, Kirk, Hetfield and Jason are like playing 'em while running around to acknowledge the crowd. The DVD just has a great feel to it. The best visuals are in One, by far. Even For whom the bell toll's is mezmerizing. The only critiscm I have with this album is that even though it has the greatest everything, it just doesn't feel like the classic Metallica concert. But more like a media stunt. Nevertheless, it is a great experience. You have to see the video. I would say yes for sure, if you asked me if it was worth buying. If it were lost or something I'd buy it again, maybe, but it would be really tough to choose between Cunning Stunts and Live Shit Binge And Purge. I think I'd go with the latter. // 9

Cunning Stunts [DVD] Reviewed by: JonnyBhoy, on january 30, 2006

Sound: This is a live DVD and it is Brilliant! It is at Fort Worth, Texas. James Hetfield's voice sounds perfect and Kirk Hammett plays all the right notes. Lars Ulrich keeps the beat and Jason Newsted shows off his skills as a bassist by doing a small solo. Some of the songs sound a bit different from usual such as One but I think that's just because of the effects being used. // 10

Overall Impression: This DVD is brilliant, it has brought my opinion of Metallica to the next level. I have a live U2 DVD and compared to this it is utter crap. The most impressive thing about the dvd is the amount of extra footage included. I love everything about this DVD but especially Metallica's stage presence and the way they get the crowd going. Hetfield knows what the crowds want to hear. The worst things about this dvd is that Master Of Puppets is shortened and their is a tacky phaser effect that is used on For Whom The Bell Tolls. If this dvd was stolen I would definitely buy it again. If you see this DVD anywhere don't hesitate to buy it. // 10

Cunning Stunts [DVD] Reviewed by: Uber-rocker, on march 19, 2007

Sound: The sound quality of the DVD was fairly good, and Lars, James, Jason and Kirk project live what they can do in the studio, which is what people would expect of a band of this calibre. However, I think that Kirk Hammett's guitar could have been turned up a little bit in post production/editing, as it was hard to hear some of his guitar solos, especially early on in the concert. This kind of dampened the viewing and listening experience of the whole thing, what's a Metallica song if you can't hear Kirk's blistering solos properly? // 8

Overall Impression: Comparing this live DVD to others that I have bought and others I've watched (Q.O.T.S.A. 'Over The Years And Through The Woods', Nirvana 'Live! Tonight! Sold Out! and so on), this would definitely be up there amongst the favourites. It's one of those concerts where it doesn't matter how many times you've watched or listened to it, it doesn't get boring, and you can just stick it in your DVD player and rock out to it. Great stuff. As with all good things though, it comes to an end, even if it shouldn't! That being said, the concert could've been longer, although I can imagine performing in front of a stadium full of people for two hours would be tiring. The one thing that really annoyed me about the DVD though was the fact it was split in to two discs. This means that you can't just pop it in the player and listen to a few hours of uninterrupted metal madness. Quite unfortunate. So, if some fool had the guts to steal this DVD from me, for sure I'd hunt him down and castrate him. I don't think there's a live concert DVD that could replace this one. // 9

Comments