Death Magnetic review by Metallica

• Released: Sep 12, 2008
  • Users' score: 8.6 (2,437 votes)
Metallica: Death Magnetic

First-off being that this is Metallica it has everything you expect; cazy guitar riffs and solos, thumping bass lines, and heavy drums, not to mention pretty good lyrics. All though this is a new CD from Metallica, this ranks up there with their best cds (Black Album, ... And Justice For All, etc). This is by no means another St. Anger, this is a new fresh CD with fresh songs with the same good old Metallica feel. Being that the band members are getting up in years they still have'nt lost their edge in my opinion, this CD is everything hoped for. I am not sure if a story ties to this cd, but as for styles not much to say except Kirk Hammett does not use his wah peddle nearly as much, and Lars uses his double bass peddle quite a bit more.This CD has ten songs, and I bet that you will like at least eight of them, the songs are amazing, the sound is fantastic, as all the band members are in sync, their music just flows from them and sounds amazing.

The lyrics are a bit odd this time around. They are still pretty mezmerizing and catchy, but you can hear where age is effecting James. Like most people I am surprised to hear that he can hit pretty high notes. The music and lyrics practiclly go hand in hand, good example The Unforgiven III, James sings in a mellow sad kind of style and it's as if the band is right there with him, feeling what he is feeling. For James's age I have to say he can still sing with the best of them. Some of the best singing I have heard in awhile.

I beleive this CD highly compares, the main reason most bands from Metallicas period have fizzled out and given up but not Metallica. They show that they are not afraid to change with the times, they know what people want and they give it them. This CD is just as good if not better than their previous releases. The most best songs on this CD would have to be The Day That Never Comes, The Unforgiven III, All Nightmare Long, and Cyanide. All of the songs are good, but these songs really shine. I love this CD because it's as if James, Kirk, Lars, and Robert poured the essence of that which is Metallica and just made it a perfect album. There is not much to hate about this CD but there is one thing, at times the sound is a little off, the production of the CD could have been better. I would buy this CD if anything happened to my copy. All in all this is a great cd, if you like Metallica get it, you will not regret it.

Gman2008
    Death Magnetic is awesome! I'm glad Metallica dont care about the '80s era only' fans..cause they ALL SUCK. You guys aren't true fans of the band. Your either in for the ride or your not..just dont bitch about it!! The day you are in a band as successful as Metallica, then you can judge. Until then shut the hell up! Long live the KINGS OF METAL AND ROCK N' ROLL!
    j-walk
    Yeah really, Cliff was a upcoming legend, enough said. He was the original and had many ideas. No other bass player is going to join a band, especially almost 20 years later and just controlling everything they play. I really think when they made load and re they needed a change. I grew up worshiping met, slayer and mega. But at some point I did start to explore other kinds of music. St anger was in my opinion thier worst, but if you watched thier movie they were all kinda ****ed up. Its good to see them happy now and hell, as a die hard fan who grew up off this shit, I can say I am really happy with death magnetic. Unforgiven 3 is sweet too!
    Potee
    It took them so long to put out this album and it's just horrible. The same thing happened with Axel Rose.
    Black Mesa
    This CD would be pretty damn good if it didnt have the shitty drums and ****up production. Chirst it sounds like it was recorded in a garage. Did they not listen to it after it finalized?