Death Magnetic review by Metallica

• Released: Sep 12, 2008
  • Users' score: 8.6 (2,437 votes)
Metallica: Death Magnetic

First this is Metallicas best work since black album. Not putting down load and Re-Load but St.Anger. Junk! but at least Lars got rid of those atrocious snare drums. This album was a little distorted the drums were a litle to loud. It always seemed to overpower the guitars in some songs like The Judas Kiss. And having Rick Rubin produce it was quite a change from Bob Rocks efforts. Metallica has said that bob didn't let them get there creativity out as much as Rubin does. With Rubin in the mix, he brought Metallica back to they're E-Standered tuning. Wich is awesome. But Robert Trujilos was not fully heard because of the distortion of the drums. And James is finaly back to his sining petigree that we all know and love. He did unfortuantly loose some powere over the years but he is almost 50. Overall I liked There new sound better than the stuff from '96-'03.

The Lyrics of this album mad so much more sense than the drible that was on St.Anger. On that album James just did not put effort into the lyrics. Plus James always did better by himself wrighting than with other people. Perhaps if they put the line that lars said in the "Some Kind of Monster" movie "Searchin for dounuts. in Frantic it might be better. But in this CD he deleivers very strong lyrics, like in my apocalypse, he is basicly wrighting about there late bassist Cliff. This shows a much more deeper James Hetfeild life. In the Song All Nightmare long he is telling more about his bad childhood, going through things.The Lyrics were greatly composed. James is finaly back! The high points of jameses singing is in the unforgiven 3 when he says "why can't I forgive me." Speaking of the unforgiven 3 I was waiting to hear this song for a while. But I sadly wasn't to impressed at the intro. But that's just me. The rest of the song is awesome Hetfeild realy put his heart and soul into this song. Overall the sining is great and the lyrics are a step up from the last couple albums.

While this album may not be the sequal to... And Justice for all it is still better than a lot of there albums (No need to say St.Anger again). with the new addition of Robert Trujilo, putting his awesome bass lines in. He improved they're music greatly better than Jason Newsted. The best songs on this album imo are All Nightmare Long, The Day That Never Comes and My Apocalypse. For being Metallicas ninth studio album it's very good. They went back to there standard tuning not Drop C or half a step down. The only things I didn't like about this album were that the drums at points over distorted the guitars and the bass wasn't as audible at times. also the instrumental song Suicide and Redemption was not the best on the cd, I have to say this is the song I least liked. But dispite all that if my copy was stollen I would definitly buy another and I advise you all to do the same if that happens.