Death Magnetic review by Metallica

• Released: Sep 12, 2008
  • Users' score: 8.6 (2,439 votes)
Metallica: Death Magnetic

Some people have complained about the sound of lars drums and the overall production on the album, but I think it sounds fantastic. Very raw, but yet very polished at the same time. The guitars feature a midrange that was missing in the 80's. Lars drums are top notch and feature a mix of cliche thrash beats and patters that are a little more inventive. Robs bass wasn't too prominent, but it shines at certain moments, especially in "Cyanide" when it's just him and lars for a few seconds. As a guitarist, I had one major complaint with the album, and that was that the majority of kirks solos sounded cool and somewhat original at some parts, and then at other times his licks were almost exactly the same as ones he played in the past. This might seem obvious, but the example that always comes to my mind is at about 6:45 in "The day that never comes", is it just me? or does that sound exactly like the harmonized part in the ride the lightning solo? it doesnt't't't really match up well. Also, it seems as kirk went a little over the top with the stupid sounding descending chromatic lines in an attempt to stray away from his hyper blues licks that we love him for.

I've never payed too much attention to lyrics, but from what I read, the lyrics seem like a mix between Alice In Chains and a sadistic 15 years olds myspace page. Overall I could care less about the lyrics because the music is so kickass, but at times they definitely sound a little dumb. But seriously, it's metallica, who really cares?

When I read that Lars stated that the album seemed like it would close the gap between... And Justice and the Black Album, I thought it was pretty bold considering how bad Shit. Anger was. However, I don't think Ulrich dissapointed. The album is very thrashy at times, and yet very groove based at others. My three favorite tracks would have to be: All Nightmare Long: The general consensus is that this is one of the best songs on the album, and I agree. The intro seemed a little mashed together, but the rest of the song more than makes up for it. Nice Solo, except for the queer lick beginning at 5:06 The Unforgiven III: I love it, best solo on the album without a doubt. Great singing, and catchy chorus. Very groovy verses. Dig it The first four minutes of The Day That Never Comes: I love this song. THe first time I heard it I thought it was perfect. I loved the intro, the verses were good enough, but as soon as the chorus kicked in, I was hooked. The only two songs I have a fault are: My apocalypse: it's just dumb. Boring, generic riffs, nothing catchy, and the chorus just sucks. Everyone likes it because it's "in-your-face" and "edgy" but I think it's more of a pie in the face. The last three of the Day that Never comes: I'm not gunna lie. I almost cried when I heard the shitastic outro to this song. This is what a 14 yr old kid who just got a guitar for christmas would write, not one of the greatest metal bands in history. Randomn strung together riffs with lots of breaks in between. Dissapointing solo. Horrendously bad video as well. If the "heavy" part of this soing was reworked then it would be perfect. If Metallica tried to make this into another "fade to black" it would have worked, but since they tried turning it into a lazy version of "one", it fails. Nontheless, this is one of the best albums of the year. and my favorite compared to Nostradamus, Blooddrunk, and others Kudos to Metallica for doing what they do best: Sounding like Metallica.

BattleAxe92
    Metallica is back. This album is damn good. Got a bit of everything from Metallica - mixes together to make a great album to listen to. If, you son't have it, buy it. Now.
    Metal Head 101
    80's Metallica was the band off the world, i still love listening to master of puppets and ride the lightning but the shoulda stopped after the black album. The lyrics have gone way down hill since James quit drinking and this album is nothing like the old stuff, well it kinda is seeing as how half the riffs sound the same as there old songs. In my opinion these guys should put the instruments away and quit while some of the old fans still like the music
    Metal Head 101
    jman6340
    This Album was pretty ****ing awesome! Not THE best, but deffenetly a great one!
    kaos572
    the only thing im dissapointed in is how they start unforgiven 3 with a piano instead of a horn. other than that this is true metallica reminds me of justice and black album
    hak_hap
    phishfan08 wrote: Familyguy75 wrote: this is the heaviest metallica album I ever heard! And almost as good as their black album HAHAHAHAHa, you have to be kidding. I guess I'll be the honest guy here. this album blows. 8 to 10 minute songs are only ok if they are epically awesome, but this WHOLE cd is full of LONG, BORING, UNINVENTIVE songs and ideas.
    seriously...you CANNOT mean that the whole cd is univentative and boring... nothing more to say...just cant...
    hak_hap
    the unforgiven 3 has the most awesome singing melody and the drums are so metallica...no band can do an album like this!! think about THAT
    hak_hap
    and im saying this although i think its not the best metallica album by far...but its new, james sings really good, its different and by all that its a better thing than bands like u2, aerosmith, acdc or any other old fashioned hard-rock/metal band were ever to do...they all never tried new things...now THATS boring... oh yeah, i forgot motrhead...just download ace of spades and you know all about motrhead... *lol*
    sistinas
    i dont see the argument between megadeth and metallica, the fact is they are both great bands, and all your doing is arguing about trivial things just apriciate the music
    paul2684
    this album is the nuts and u lot that doubt it sould go buy a spice girls cd because u dont know what ur talking about stick to ur pop music metallica ROCK and have done for years
    angusheeyaa35
    best album since '... And Justice For All'. standout cuts - BBS, Nightmare and That Was Just Your Life.
    ndabsh
    Critics,Critics,Critics are just arm chair quarterbacks,nick pick everything.....This new CD is in the top 4 best Metallica CDs every. To all you criDICKS F-You ! Listen to the music,don't dissect it.....From some that just loves music. PS How many criDICKS have made THEIR own CD ? Or better yet, let every muscian write a colume about your f#*kin reviews.
    rayq78
    he was just born yesterday bro... forgive him...
    StSavior wrote: devilsfan30 wrote: Wow, what was this guy smoking!? The unforgiven 3 is THE best song on the album. Infact my favourite 5 songs are 1. The unforgiven 2. the unforgiven 3 3. the unforgiven 2 4. master of puppets 5. King nothing Really? I strongly advise you to listen to the first four albums, generally considered four of the best metal albums ever and never ever say something like this again unless you like being raped by true Metallica fans. I wonder what you've been smoking the past twenty years.
    rayq78
    i hate the voice of dave mustaine..hes like play joking it. also... if kirk make a more complex riff, it will sound different. kirk just made it right. Just metallica... got the point... think...
    Metal Head 101 wrote: sidjustis wrote: metalhead887 wrote: seriously Metallica are better then megadeth think about it rite who sells out stadiums (not shitty little cinemas)? Whos album is ranked on of the best selling albums of all time? oh w8 METALLICA Metallica may not have the most creative guitarist or the greatest riffs SO WHAT, i gurantee you if u ask a room of of 200 people about 10 would have heard of deth SO eff all your tallica h8az and go suck daves willy Tallica rules Wow...so chart positions and concert venues decide on the bands "greatness" ? You must be worshipping Britney / JLo No doubt eh, have you ever heard a crowd go crazy like when Megadeth played in venezula, i've never heard a crowd go that crazy over any band