Death Magnetic review by Metallica

• Released: Sep 12, 2008
  • Users' score: 8.6 (2,437 votes)
Metallica: Death Magnetic

01.That was just your life: very cool sounding song. Great clean riff in the begining leading and mixing with a heavier riff. The Intro drags on a bit, but is filled with sick trash riffs that you would expect from metallica. Verse and Chorus riffs are great. Cool Harmony in the bridge. Thank god Hammet is doing solos again. Not too impresive and kind of short, but at least it's a solo. Rythm guitar is tight, can't hear the bass very well, no more trash can drum set. drums sound a lot better, but style is genaric thrash. overall a good way to start off te album.-6 02.The End of the Line: not a lot of complexity, forgetable song. decent riffs, nice wah in the solo but nothing we haven't heard from hammet and way too short. bass is inaudible, drumming is okay.-4 03.Broken Beat and Scarred: one of the better songs on the album. Riffs have a new sound and style too them which is refreshing. Still can't hear the bass. Drumming is a little better here. good thrash solo, hammet still has his chops.-8 04.The Day that Never Comes: the single of this album, and it is easily the most impressive song off this album and that they have ever done. Format of "One", but in the style of "fade to black". Clean riffs in begining and verse, heavy chorus, repeat a couple times and then an all out thrash fest for the rest of the song. Your supposed to slow down as you get older, metallica is still as fast and technically proficient as they were on kill em all. Lars offbeat drumming while keeping a steady tempo at blazing speeds is incedible. awesome solo that goes on for a while. harmonizing guitar parts are very effective here. And hammet still shreds like a beast when it's his turn to shine. One of the top 15 songs metallica has ever done, and that's saying something.-10 05.All Nightmare Long: very impressive song. chugging guitar riffs and tight drumming keeps this song going forward. riffs reminds me of "four horseman" a bit. bass isnt here either. nice solo, goes on for a while, two solos actually. Another one of my faves of this album.-8 06.Cyanide: it seems that rob decided to show up on this song. Very cool bassline bringing kind of an "infectious groove" to metallica that doesnt't seem out of place at all. very cool to hear this kind of style from metallica. riffs are simple yet awesome. not one of their faster songs, but still very fun to listen too. cool soft part in the bridge leading into an impressive guitar solo from hammet. drumming is great on this song.-8 07.The Unforgiven III: the most anticipated song that everyone was waiting to hear, and it doesnt't dissapoint. great piano and orchestral intro, clean riff is cool leading into an awesome heavy verse riff. drumming is outstanding on this one, and once again the bass has dissapeared. Bridge leading into solo is intense. One of my top 5 favorite Hammet solos ever. I love it, fast with feeling, lots of wah, long, fits perfectly. Second best best song on album. Lots of musical complexity, not really an unforgiven song, but a great song none the less.-9 08.The Judas Kiss: simple yet kick-ass riffs, something that metallica has always done well. no bass, big surprise. Drumming is ok on this, nothing spctacular. very cool extended, classic, yet fresh Hammet solo. Another one of the cooler songs on album.-8 09.Suicide and Redemtion: all hail the epicness of metallica instrumentals. 10 minute instrumental that is very easy to listen to all the way through. Drumming is great, as is the bass on this one. Creative and unique riffs throughout. Solos are amazing. taking some of the great ideas from "ktulu", and "orien".-9 10.My Apocalypse: great thrash song. Shortest song, but a great way to end the album. Great riffs throughout, and a short yet sweet solo, that leaves you amazed that these middle aged thrashers can still pull this stuff off. drumming is once again genaric thrash and once again no bass.-8 Overall Sound-Rythm guitars held tight and the dazzling combinations of riffs in every song held them all together well. Bass frequencies were nearly nonexistent, but when rob showed up he was impressive. drumming was on and off at times, it seems lars just aint the same beast that he used to be but still had some cool moments. Solos were great to hear again, some were throwaways to fill 20-40 seconds of the songs, but most feautured outstanding shredding and style that always fits whatever song he is doing. Hammets new amp could be heard, I like the new sonic textures it gives him during riffs and in solos. Very modern sound overall, yet still retaining that classic Metallica feel. Production and engineering could have been better, but what is past is past. Overall sound of this album was really cool, there were some dissapointments of course, but still worthwile and enjoyable to listen to.

Lets all face it, James Hetfield of Kill em All and Master and Ride is gone. But what makes Hetfield a great metal vocalist is that he is always reinventing himself vocally. That stays true with this album. During the fast trash parts of these songs he barks out the lyrics with power and intensity, and yet can still show impressive melodic control on the ballads. His voice always matches what is happening in the music very well. His lyrical quality has gone up about a thousand times from St. Anger. There are so many memorable lines that i can remember from almost each song. The main lyrical theme here on DM is Death, but he is still capable of writing vague yet powerful lyrics that mean something different for everyone.

One of most peoples concerns, including mine, when they went to go buy this album was, am I going to be disapointed like I was with St. Anger. When I stayed up till 2 in the morning blasting it the night I got it, I couldnt stop headbanging. This album I would say is better that Load, Reload, and St. Anger combined.. Metallica is embracing new modern ideas, yet still keeping with the tradition of great songwriting that metallica is known for. there are some things that are dissapointing about this album yes, such as the nearly non-existant bass, shoddy production and engineering, inconsistent drumming. But there plenty of geat things about it as well. James sings his ass off here and lyrics are still as powerful as ever. There are at least 50 amazing riffs on this album that will delight any lover of great thrash. Solos are back and Hammet can still shred with the best of em. If you love thrash, if you love metallica, if you want a kick ass album and love kick ass music, definitly go get this album.

knocksvil
    that fuk der no megadeth... took me a long tim to fukky listen to the album... still a lotta listenin to do also... that makes a good album
    Rockdaparty44
    Deftones_84 wrote: Zakk-H wrote: Fuck this is stupid.If you don't like it don't ****ing listen to it.. If you like it great, go listen to it. But for **** sakes stop bitching about it! ..And here's another genius trying to tell people on the internet what to do.
    So true
    Edge620
    Its ok but I would not call it Thrash Metal more Hard Rock. Still Metallica Rules
    TOB00
    If you buy the album on vinyl, you will find that all of the issues of mixing and poor drums and no bass etc are pretty much gone. The album was recorded on ananlog equipment, Rick Rubins "thing," and therefore seriously kicks ASS on vinyl.
    TheJudasKiss
    str84ever wrote: Oh my ****ing god. Could Metallica fans complain any ****ing more?! You literally are the worst fans ever, you are so ****ing picky with what you want. Ever care to you that Metallica doesn't care what you think? They release what they want to play not what you want to hear and it will sell regardless of waht it is. So ****ing suck it up.
    + 1 F***ing MILLION
    thewickerman512
    Flying Afros wrote: jimmy d'soul wrote: as opposed to iron maiden, slayer and Judas priest sounding exactly the same in every album they release. despite st.anger, i believe that if a band is humble enough to attempt, whether successful or not, to communicate with newer audiences, that band should be hailed as true musicians. DM showed us that at heart metallica are pure metal heads, there is nothing anyone can say that would doubt that. DM also shows that metallica are welling in renovate themselves in every album and create something new and exciting. on a final note, an album that takes u a while to catch on too is an album worth listening to. radio friendly albums get boring after a 2 listens. +1000. Its their best album in 20 years.
    First off dude, Maiden sounds completely different on every album. You could play me any Maiden song, and i could tell you what album without seeing the title. Second, I bought some great albums the other day, Master of Puppets, Rust In Peace, Far Beyond Driven. I loved them right off the bat, none of them are radio frienly. The album was good, but nowhere near what we were led to expect from all the hype. I respect that these guys are trying to re-awaken something, but I don't think they can anymore. They've got the talent, but I think they've lost touch with their roots.
    BurningTheLives
    +100000 Seriously, what kind of fans talk shit about the band they are a fan of.
    Deftones_84
    You must be about eight years old. I believe that anybody who buys the album has the right to give their honest opinion of it. We don't need fools like you pissing your pants over it. Quit trying so hard to go against the grain you arrogant twat.
    Deftones_84
    ..And here's another genius trying to tell people on the internet what to do.
    Dymencion
    That was just your life, Broken, beat, and scared, The day that never comes, Fantastic
    RUSTDOGG666
    Thrash Metal? You think this is thrash metal? Slayer is true thrash metal. Recognize. This album is Rock. they might as well call themselves Rocktallica. they've been rock ever since Load. Love these guys, saw them in concert earlier this month, but get it right. Old metallica is metal. New metallica is rock.
    metallica_102
    i was really expecting and hoping for a decent album i was let down oh well at least they gave us puppets and ride the lightning
    brendanb36
    tancanada wrote: death magnetic might be one of the best albums ive listened to in a while. its my fourth favorite, which is saying something because my top 3 are master, ajfa and black, and the last time one of those was released was almost 20 years ago. I agree that kirk used too much wah too often, in my opinion he needs to buy some new pedals, itd be cool to hear kirk poundin away on a phaser or something lol. and trujillo had some good bass lines, cyanide's a very good bass song. lars was lars. =/ and jaymz was amazing at rhythm, there were some AMAZING rhythm guitar tracks in this album. my favorite songs are that was just your life, end of the line, and unforgiven III, but I can listen to all of them straight through except for suicide and redemption, i cant stand that song for some reason. overall, the album gets an 8.5/10. it beats into the fire, kills all hope is gone, and im sure itll totally slaughter triviums new one.
    ya sorry shogun destroys death magnetic. maybe metallica should be taking notes from their fans...
    darkwolf291
    In my eyes, they redeemed themselves from st.anger...it wasnt up to par with kill em all or Ride the lightning, but it was better than load, reload and st. anger...James' singing wil never be the same..the reason he adds the AH at the end of words is because of his voice...vocal teachers tel you, if your singing raspy or screaming, to do that if the word ends with a tightning of the vocal chords..like if you said "Come on" stuff like that
    darkwolf291
    I can certainly understand people who criticise his as times country-esque howl or the constant addition of AH!! to every other line.
    the reason he does this is because those words end in the tightening of the vocal chords..He does it to try and save his voice...vocal teachers will tell you to do this if your singing raspily or screaming
    judas_disciple
    what im very happy to see is Kirks' Satriani influences showing through, especially in The End Of The Line. Best album in a long time, but not their best by a long shot Ride The Lightning kicked ass.
    dark_falco3000
    What, are you pissed off that people's opinions differ from yours? Or maybe you're ok that people's opinions differ from yours, but you don't want them to be able to express it or something? I've seen this argument so many times on UG. You may love this album, but not everyone does. Some people probably hate it. That doesn't mean that you have more of a right to express your opinion of it. And just before you accuse me of being one of these haters, I love DM. Best Metallica album since AJFA. And yes, it beats the Black Album. That album is mediocre and overrated. Anyway, so it's not that I don't like this album, because I love it. I just don't like people like you who tell others what opinions they should and shouldn't be expressing.
    dark_falco3000
    DrShreddington wrote: PoP N FresH wrote: BLAH BLAH BLAH METALLICA VS MEGADETH yea u know what the difference between them is....ONE BAND CAN WRITE SONGS....dave is an amazing guitarist and a great guy, but the fact remains that he cannot write songs that work.....theres a few that are good but overall its metallicas ability to write amazing cohesive songs and albums that made them a force, and megadeth struggle to do that. plus lyrics and singing leave SO MUCH to be desired, even if it helped form thier sound and gain a core following. btw....death magnetic was a really cool album and if u didnt like it then go listen to megadeth. Dont ever say Metallica are better song writers than Megadeth, because if there was ever a drummer less creative, less innovative, and overall shittier than Lars Ulrich, it was a 3 year old child hitting a desk with a stick. I mean my god, my bro bought this album, We listened to the entire thing, every damn song, and what did I learn? Lars Ulrichs compositions consist of a snare drum, a hihat, and a crash, thats it. He never ever does anything unique, and guess what, he gets payed loads, loads and loads of cash for doing something that most drummers could do after playing for around 3 months. Lars, learn to play! The hihat is not the only damn doohicky on your drumset.
    while I agree that Lars probably is the least talented member of this band, how does his lack of drumming skills mean that Metallica is bad at composing songs? Sorry for double post btw
    Duke_Lukem
    i hated this album, its more pop than thrash. a real sell out album if you ask me.
    svend
    the best drummer on earth is Neil Peart of rush
    PoP N FresH
    [x]Huffy[x]
    |\puto_rodas/| wrote: PoP N FresH, go refresh your ideas while U listen to Rust In peace...Polaris |m|
    Thats only one song, and half of Metallica's discography is made up of better songs than that.
    Mathiasvs
    s7eventhstring wrote: hmmm... i think da album rocks... but suppose we all have our own opinions...
    AMEN!
    lutfish
    This is trashmetal. +1 to the guy who gets that I haven't misspelled, lol..
    Gryphon999
    lutfish wrote: This is trashmetal. +1 to the guy who gets that I haven't misspelled, lol..
    -1 to the guy that thinks your funny. I like the album, my fav song is still Cyanide, dunno why... btw I hate that TDTNC is on MTV 24/7, gets very annoying...
    Chen-min
    The style, themes and sounds on this album are what Metallica feel good about at this time. It's unique in its own way and should NEVER be compared to any of their previous records. You wouldn't review St. Anger only to compare it to Ride The Lightning or AJFA, so why do it with Death Magnetic?
    Stampede
    dimebag84 wrote: Lars and Kirk on this album, are definately the weakest links. What happended to them? Remember the AJFA heights they reached?? Can they not reproduce that? Lars sounds so uninspired on this album. Kirks solos, are bad, they are just there to be there.
    str84ever
    BlisteringDDj
    Stampede wrote:Kirks solos are horrible. I dont think he hits a good lick on the entire album. i'd like to take his wah and break it over my knee.
    You mean shove it up his ass?
    Zakk-H
    postmortem2006
    I want to know why a lot of people keep calling this thing a return to form - a return to form would be 1982 w Burton and Mustaine. For ****s sake people this isn't a return to form of any sort, its just marginally better than St. Anger - and for the love of God, its NOT THRASH!!
    cdm0048
    THIS ALBUM IS FREAKIN AMAZING and btw...how can u give this a 7 out of ten for the first review thingy there u must be on drugs or somethin cuz the only badly recorded song on here was My Apocolypse get a friggin brain and learn what ur talkin about or buy a new stereo or somethin also the snare wasnt that loud and also im pretty posotive that Metallica is metal and not thrash but that's beside the point
    DrShreddington
    zAg1619
    devilsfan30 wrote: Wow, what was this guy smoking!? The unforgiven 3 is THE best song on the album. Infact my favourite 5 songs are 1. The unforgiven 2. the unforgiven 3 3. the unforgiven 2 4. master of puppets 5. King nothing
    Shitty list of Fav songs. King Nothing? Really? Come on, you are joking right? What are you smoking that seems to make that song good, and can you send me some?
    Lion_Slicer
    This album makes me happy. When I first put it in and heard That Was Just Your Life, I was truly blown away. And even my girlfriend, who has been merciless towards Metallica with regard to any album past ...And Justice For All, agreed. The whole album is very impressive, although That Was Just Your Life is still my favorite from it.
    Mihyaeru
    why r p[eople so coencerned what it is? thrash metal? who cares itsm etallica....thats what it is its metallica.... The drums on this album are waay too loud in my opinion, the snare can get icredibly irritating actually at times, but the composition of the songs is decent and the production of the insturments is better....for example the guitar on Suicide and redemption at the middle cleaner section sounds really nice, shame the rest of the song doesnt hold up to that part! but overall i liked this album I just hope the next is better prdouced than this
    svend
    JPetrucci25 wrote: a drummer wrote: liam1107 wrote: HA and now everybody comes over to my side... ive said it to my mates and ill say it on ultimate guitar... METALLICA DIED WITH CLIFF BURTON this album was hyped up so much and ultimately it fails to deliver... some songs yea there quite good but overall it is a poor quality album and a rather poor attempt overall... you are an absolute moron, and justice for all? **** you die bitch...though cliff was the shit, the train kept rolling strong exactly. cliff diead but metalica kept going. they made great album after great album. now this one joins them. this album is badass
    metallica died after the black album then came back from the dead with death magnetic
    anky_des427
    this is a good albumm... not that great... but i gotta say... the judas kiss my apocolyspe or however u spell and unforgiven threee are great songs.. eh ill even throw in the day that never comes.. but annoying solo..they over did it lol but yeah great.. ride the lightning still OWNS erethang!