Death Magnetic review by Metallica

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Sep 12, 2008
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 6
  • Overall Impression: 7
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
  • Users' score: 8.6 (2,437 votes)
Metallica: Death Magnetic
0

Sound — 8
Now, before I start, I'd like to issue a disclaimer. I, in my humble opinion, do not particularly like metal. Luckily, Metallica isn't all harsh throaty growls. Matter of fact, it's really a lot more smooth. No wonder it's so popular with everyone. But that's the problem. Metallica used to have the appeal of only a few people liked it. But now, every Slim Jim paste eater who listens to 'rock' (I'm putting rock in quotations because not everything is rock. Rolling Stone has lowered the bar... ) wears a Metallica T-shirt, regardless of whether he or she evens listens to it. Sickening But now that my frustrations are unleashed, I should get to how the album sounds. Well, it's typical Metallica. It starts slow, easy as she goes. Then BAM! A drum beat breaks the silence and the carnage begins. Naturally, it's mostly a ballad, like earlier Metallica works. Purely instrumental at the beginning and end. Here's the proof: I tested it. Listening to 'The Day That Never Comes', the sound continued for 1:20 or so before any words came through. Not to say that's a bad thing, but in this day and age of borderline stupid and reality TV, if something doesn't impress us in ten seconds, we lose interest. So... I worry.

Lyrics — 6
Lyrics? Right about... here would be the time in a Scooby Doo episode where that dog goes 'Ruh? ' See, Metallica uses vague lyrics. Very vague. Not Nirvana vague, but vague enough. Let's just say it sounds like some interesting poetry a friend of mine writes. Dark, but with meaning, despite it sounding like Lars was searching for a rhyme and used an online rhyming dictionary written by that emo roommate you had back at Seton Hall. And as for Ulrich's singing skills... well, I'm not a big fan. It doesn't require a lot of skill to sing like him. Sounds the oddly thin guy behind you at a NASCAR event that screams 'Yeah! ' and spills his beer on the three guys in front of him. Lars Ulrich looks like he should sound like a beast. A bounty hunter voice, per say. He looks like he could kick your ass, but in the end... not so much...

Overall Impression — 7
Now, Enter Sandman was probably Metallica's best work, and I highly doubt they'll reach that level of superiority again. So this brings up the question: why bother? Why, because they're Metallica, idiot. They have to keep playing, sometimes for tens of minutes at a time. For one song. Seriously, the ninth song on the album, 'Suicide and Redemption', is nine minutes and fifty-eight seconds long! After about 5 minutes, I grow bored of it. How many unimpressive riffs can you throw in one song? How many? Well, if it were a contest, Metallica would win the huge trophy made of chocolate. Now, don't get me wrong, it's not bad. It's just not that good. They can't live up to the Black Album, but let's face it. If Metallica broke up for good, there'd be rioting in the streets, and I'd like to avoid the guy at NASCAR turning his beer into a Molotov cocktail.

16 comments sorted by best / new / date

    stalefishtweak
    I think Reviewer Pete's Review was a bit harsh.... It was very frank and unbiased but he also mentioned that hammett and ulrich are harmless at many occasions.... cmon man composing solos isn't like drinking water man its tough to compose something perfectly phrased with the music it goes along with...and while ulrich's drumming isn't billy cobham it is good hard beats which are kinda like a full stop... drummers aren't really meant to lead the band although some do and i find it very impressive(Nicko Mcbrain of Iron Maiden).... I thought Death Magnetic had the light at the end of the tunnel... Reviewer Pete ... What say you?
    stalefishtweak
    DBrooks0022 wrote: heres the reason kirk is one of the best guitarists ever. and dont bash me and say that im out of my mind and tht kirk sucks. if u want to argue, give me intellegent arguements. he knows how to fit a solo to a song. in other words, he doesnt shred in every solo, unlike most metal guitarists, such as dave mustaine and megadeth. kirk can shred just as fast as anyone out there but he knows how and when to use it. and how can you say his solos sound the same. he uses multiple different scales in different keys. he also plays more than one style of music. most metal bands just play metal, but metallica has done that along with many other styles. kirk is an amazing blues guitarist as well as country. but obviously he is dominant in metal. bottom line is, kirk kicks ass. he is a legend, and i dont see how anyone could think anything else unless they are ignorant like most of the ppl that comment on this page
    There were some good opinions in your post man... in fact you stated it all very well .... but look at this a lot of kirk soloing is like a million hammer ons and pull off at Hayabusa speed.... and while it is perfectly right and good to play fast when it sounds good..... i dunno man alot of kirks fast stuff sounds outta place to me.... i personally prefer kirk hammett's slow solo's like the unforgiven or the first two solos in One and the intro solo in fade to black(not sure if it was hammett or mustaine)... i feel that he should stick to playing slow solos then maybe his true skill and talent will show but hey its not up to me.... All in all kirk hammett can be argued as the best guitarist around today.... but I feel he isn't a legend yet..... Now you gyus may slam me if you feel like....:
    JMan 240
    sk8rMeTaLhEaD27 wrote: Money Hungry. Disappointed. I liked St. Anger better.
    Holly shit,I didn't know that anyone like St. Anger better than anything. I though it was atrocious. It's the antithesis of metal if you ask me. Death Magnetic is not great, but we have to think about it this way, if Metallica had never stopped making the kind of music they did in the 80's, would we just chalk DM's downfalls to them getting, well, strait up old? Also, one of the reviewers gave the album a 3, he also said that the production value was good (which we all know certainly is not true) as well as that this was Robert's first album with the band as the bassist. I'm sorry, but what kinda rock is he living under, at least do yourself a favor and hit up wikipedia to get ur facts strait and take those earmuffs off while ur listening to the music.
    JMan 240
    stalefishtweak wrote: DBrooks0022 wrote: heres the reason kirk is one of the best guitarists ever. and dont bash me and say that im out of my mind and tht kirk sucks. if u want to argue, give me intellegent arguements. he knows how to fit a solo to a song. in other words, he doesnt shred in every solo, unlike most metal guitarists, such as dave mustaine and megadeth. kirk can shred just as fast as anyone out there but he knows how and when to use it. and how can you say his solos sound the same. he uses multiple different scales in different keys. he also plays more than one style of music. most metal bands just play metal, but metallica has done that along with many other styles. kirk is an amazing blues guitarist as well as country. but obviously he is dominant in metal. bottom line is, kirk kicks ass. he is a legend, and i dont see how anyone could think anything else unless they are ignorant like most of the ppl that comment on this page There were some good opinions in your post man... in fact you stated it all very well .... but look at this a lot of kirk soloing is like a million hammer ons and pull off at Hayabusa speed.... and while it is perfectly right and good to play fast when it sounds good..... i dunno man alot of kirks fast stuff sounds outta place to me.... i personally prefer kirk hammett's slow solo's like the unforgiven or the first two solos in One and the intro solo in fade to black(not sure if it was hammett or mustaine)... i feel that he should stick to playing slow solos then maybe his true skill and talent will show but hey its not up to me.... All in all kirk hammett can be argued as the best guitarist around today.... but I feel he isn't a legend yet..... Now you gyus may slam me if you feel like....:
    If you ask Rolling Stone he is, but I don't trust them. For the record, I like and listen to both Metallica and Megadeath, so... Anyways, they didn't even put Dave Mustaine on the list which everyone here has to admit is bull shit, like him or not; especially considering they up and sucked Jack White's cock and then but him at like #17. Bullshit, he's definitely not nearly good enough to be put in the top 20.
    dark_falco3000
    JMan 240 wrote: sk8rMeTaLhEaD27 wrote: Money Hungry. Disappointed. I liked St. Anger better. Holly shit,I didn't know that anyone like St. Anger better than anything. I though it was atrocious. It's the antithesis of metal if you ask me. Death Magnetic is not great, but we have to think about it this way, if Metallica had never stopped making the kind of music they did in the 80's, would we just chalk DM's downfalls to them getting, well, strait up old? Also, one of the reviewers gave the album a 3, he also said that the production value was good (which we all know certainly is not true) as well as that this was Robert's first album with the band as the bassist. I'm sorry, but what kinda rock is he living under, at least do yourself a favor and hit up wikipedia to get ur facts strait and take those earmuffs off while ur listening to the music.
    Uhh... this was Robert's first time on a Metallica album. St. Anger's bass was done by Bob Rock.
    stoop
    Dont slam hammet.Yeah,too much wah wah,and nearly sound the same.But at the same time,it grew on me.And i think im not the only one to feel that way.He definitely not the best out there,still he is an excellent guitarist.I love his lead from the early days and hopefully he returns to his best.
    cKygnardog
    alright wat to say about this album besides its ****ing killer the whole cd is amazing still dont think much about lars but james you ****ing rock and metallica will never die thought they would but they will continue putting shit out when i am in my ****ing grave
    stoop
    sikosikik5 wrote: it sucks like all the rest of their albums! fags[/quot So,MOP,KEA,RTL,AJFA is sucks??Come on...This 4 is masterpiece...Or,you just dont know these album exist?Bad for you...
    Silas S Thompso wrote: Kirk lost his touch when he ran out of Dave's leads to play.
    All the lead in AJFA is great.I dont think Dave contribute any of his lead in AJFA.And The Unforgiven lead is a killer.Even Dave acknowledged that.
    mr_anal
    absolutely awesome album of the year not one bad song kirk is awesome aswell !
    extrememetal129
    RUSTDOGG666 wrote: Thrash Metal? You think this is thrash metal? Slayer is true thrash metal. Recognize. This album is Rock. they might as well call themselves Rocktallica. they've been rock ever since Load. Love these guys, saw them in concert earlier this month, but get it right. Old metallica is metal. New metallica is rock Dude. how can u say my apocalypse and that was just your life isn't a thrash metal song? Yeah Slayer was great until seasons in the abyss. I'm huge slayer fan but they just keep on piling shit. Their classic stuffs were thrash but what they play now is downtuned heavy/speed metal. REIGN IN BLOOD Thrash Till Death \m/
    extrememetal129
    brendanb36 wrote : tancanada wrote: death magnetic might be one of the best albums ive listened to in a while. its my fourth favorite, which is saying something because my top 3 are master, ajfa and black, and the last time one of those was released was almost 20 years ago. I agree that kirk used too much wah too often, in my opinion he needs to buy some new pedals, itd be cool to hear kirk poundin away on a phaser or something lol. and trujillo had some good bass lines, cyanide's a very good bass song. lars was lars. =/ and jaymz was amazing at rhythm, there were some AMAZING rhythm guitar tracks in this album. my favorite songs are that was just your life, end of the line, and unforgiven III, but I can listen to all of them straight through except for suicide and redemption, i cant stand that song for some reason. overall, the album gets an 8.5/10. it beats into the fire, kills all hope is gone, and im sure itll totally slaughter triviums new one. ya sorry shogun destroys death magnetic. maybe metallica should be taking notes from their fans... Hey ****er! Get the fuk out of this page. People who read articles about met,mega,slay are metal fans. They don't want to know anything about a band who uses unused metallica and pantera riffs and the band that people will not remember in 20 years. Thrash Till Death
    extrememetal129
    brendanb36 wrote: tancanada wrote: death magnetic might be one of the best albums ive listened to in a while. its my fourth favorite, which is saying something because my top 3 are master, ajfa and black, and the last time one of those was released was almost 20 years ago. I agree that kirk used too much wah too often, in my opinion he needs to buy some new pedals, itd be cool to hear kirk poundin away on a phaser or something lol. and trujillo had some good bass lines, cyanide's a very good bass song. lars was lars. =/ and jaymz was amazing at rhythm, there were some AMAZING rhythm guitar tracks in this album. my favorite songs are that was just your life, end of the line, and unforgiven III, but I can listen to all of them straight through except for suicide and redemption, i cant stand that song for some reason. overall, the album gets an 8.5/10. it beats into the fire, kills all hope is gone, and im sure itll totally slaughter triviums new one. ya sorry shogun destroys death magnetic. maybe metallica should be taking notes from their fans... Hey fag! Get out. People who read articles of meta,mega,slyaer listen to metal and they don't care about a band who has ever done is using unused metallica and pantera riffs. THRASH TILL DEATH
    MasterExploder0
    I loved Death Magnetic but I did find the solos lacking compared to previous albums. My favorite Metallica album is definitely their self titled one or "The Black Album"
    Pyd Pyper
    Honestly, Metallica tried and I don't believe they were money hungry, though seemed to be Loaded (excuse the pun) with dissapointing '90s sound. My Apocalypse is not a bad song and I'd place it in higher regards over the '90s and 2003 catalogue. Cliff Burtons Death was murder and part of a conspiracy from Bob Rock to get inside Metallicas pants.