Death Magnetic review by Metallica

• Released: Sep 12, 2008
  • Users' score: 8.6 (2,437 votes)
Metallica: Death Magnetic

It is the album that should have gone between... And Justice For All and the self titled "Black Album". It takes the thrash and jam styles of Mustaine-era metalica and fuses it with the more mainstream style of Hetfield-era Metallica. The thing I hated about the CD was the quality of the sound: during several parts of the album, the music, not just the guitars, were distorted as if the levels weren't mixed and mastered correctly. According to That Metal Show (viewed on VH1 Classic), the person who mastered the CD (who didn't list himself anywhere on the CD case or in the attatched lyric book) held a press confrence stating that it was distorted when he got the recordings. Of course, it's not too much of an issue, and still, the thrash metal band did great with the album, and I cannot wait for them to play in or near Rhode Island on their next tour!

The lyrics, like the music, seems to reflect on the band's roots: thrash playing and repetative yet catchy lyric lines. The choruses (probably bad grammar) are catchy as usual, and the lyrics are non the less expressive. The same themes, simmilar word use. The music was original, but the lyrics sound simmilar to many songs metallica has released in the past and on this album. Not much imagination was put towards these songs lyrics, but it's still great to listen to.

It's good old fasion Metallica. The best songs in my opinion were The Unforgiven III (Unforgiven appeared on their "Black Album" and Unforgiven II on Reload), which began with a soothing piano and orchestral piece, That Was Just Your Life, which is the first track and is old metallica with a new metallica twist, and, of course, The Day That Never Comes, which is the first single off the album. I love that it takes original Thrash Metallica Sound and melds it with the sound of The Black Album, Load, and Reload (St. Anger was terrible, so I don't concider it new or old metallica). This definitely was the album that went between... And Justice For All and The Black Album. If it were stolen, I'd go out and look for a deluxe edition. If not, I'd definitely buy it again.

thrashnmosh782
    i found that shogun tore this album apart. but anyways this was a pretty good album. the best tunes were my apocalypse (though i can help but think they stole that name from arch enemy) and all nightmare long