Death Magnetic review by Metallica

• Released: Sep 12, 2008
  • Users' score: 8.6 (2,437 votes)
Metallica: Death Magnetic

So Metallica are back with their long awaited follow up to 2003's St. Anger, which was met with mostly negative reviews. However Death Magnetic is an hour and 15 mins of brilliance. An album that will surely show most of the doubters that Metallica are back to doing what they best. 01.That Was Just For Your Life: the song starts with the sound of a heartbeat and then gradually just gets faster and faster. When it kicks into the main riff of the song, you can tell straight away that this is going to be an amazing album. The classic Kirk Hammet solo's also make a welcome return and just as expected he doesn't disapoint with quite simply, a shred-tastic solo. The perfect start to the album. 5/5 02.The End Of The Line: awesome song. You'll recognize the intro from 'The New Song' which the band have played live (see youtube). Yet another catchy, heavy riff to get any metalhead banging his head till his neck hurts. The bridge then follows a dual solo and then a killer solo from Hammet and then is slowes down, with clean vocals and guitars, but just like the bridge in "Master Of Puppets" it slowly picks up back into the good old heavy stuff. 4/5 03.Broken, Beat And Scarred: when I first heard this song, I flipped out. Amazing song, all though the verse lyrics and be seen as repetitive but at the same time catchy. The chorus in my opinion is the strongest part of the song, with some awesome drum work from Lars. I predict that this song will get a very mixed review from fans but I see the majority loving this song. 4/5 04.The Day That Never Comes: one of the best songs of the album. Has been compared to "One" and to be honest as good as it is, it can't beat it. However it does come very close. very well written and structured song. Clean verse, heavy chorus and after the second time round, it remains heavy untill the end. The solo is Kirk's best on the album in my opinion, and Hetfield's vocals are very strong through out. Once the vocals are over, just sit back and enjoy musical brilliance in the rest of the song 5/5 05.All Nightmare Long: the title suggests a very typical Metallica song. And it is what you would expect and more. A sick arse intro, very climatic verse, an extremelly catchy chorus and a amazing lengthly solo from Mr Hammet. Also Hetfields vocal style, especially in the Chorus, is a treat to listen to. However I have found that this song does get tedious after many listens but that's just me. However I'm sure after a while of not listening to it, I will soon be hooked again. 4.5/5 06.Cyanide: the first word to enter my head when I first heard this song was "WOW!". As this was the first song of the album I heard, I was pumped to hear more of what Metallica offered in their new material. The song just doesn't slow down, Awesome bass intro and just it just gets better and better. The solo is also another piece of genius. The perfect song to be the first release from the album. 5/5 07.The Unforgiven III: probably the song that most fans wanted to hear as it was the final in the Unforgiven trilogy. Metallica did not disapoint on this one. Hetfield's vocals are at their best on this song especially just before the solo. Similar to "The Unforgiven" where as it has a rather heavy verse and slower chorus. The use of an orchestra in the background also works very well. The piano intro didn't fill me with much hope but by the end of the song, I was very happy with what I had heard. 5/5 08.The Judas Kiss: one of the best songs of the album, very thrashy, very fast, very Metallica. The chorus is my favourite part simply for the guitar riff, so catchy to listen to I had to pick up my guitar and learn it. Kirk's solo goes on for over a minute and it's flawless. Very well written lyrically aswell. The boys did a very good job on this one. 5/5 09.Suicide And Redemption (Instrumental): the return of the instrumental!! Very fun to play on guitar and very heavy to listen to. Guitar work from both James and Kirk are brilliant and it's almost ten minutes long but it'll keep you listening right through to the end. 4/5 10.My Apocalypse: to be honest when I first heard this song, I wasn't sure what to think. After a few more listens it really has grown on me and it's a good song to close the album on. I think it's quite similar to "Battery" only with out the acoustic intro. The chorus is the strongest point on this song for me but overall it hasn't stood out for me in particular, I can still listen to it though and bang my head proudly. 3.5/5

Well on St. Anger the lyrics were not a strong point, which was strange cos metallica have been known for writing very powerful and very good lyrics. But they're back on form here, maybe because Hetfield is the main lyricist again instead of everyone contributing and you can tell that he has worked very hard and put a lot more effort into the lyrics this time around. As for the singing, well I'm sure most will agree that upto "The Black Album" is when James's vocals were at the best. the vocals were, as much as I hate to admit, sometimes quite ugly in places on St. Anger. Not the case this time round as in songs such as "Unforgiven III" you can tell what a great vocalist he is and always has been. Once again it's clear to see that he has worked his heart and soul into getting the best voice for this album.

I wont go as far as saying that it is better than MOP (which is my favourite Metallica album) but Death Magnetic is definately up there with the best of them. My favourite songs from the album are mainly "The Day That Never Comes", "Cyanide" And "The Judas Kiss" but take nothing away from the other 7 tracks as they are all fantastic. The thing I love about this album is that not only are goin back to their old school style, it's that after 20 odd years, Metallica have shown the doubters that they still are the metal kings. People have criticized the production quality of this album, personally I have only one problem with it and that is the bass should be more noticeable. But as for the loudness, I love loud so I'm happy with it. If this was stolen I would happily go and buy another copy. This is review is obviously mostly opinion based and it is my first review on here so please be gentle with the feedback.

Esen312
    one more thing.... Black album was good, just because it was mainstream dosent make it a bad album ****tards
    dark_falco3000
    Esen312 wrote: Allright Im tired of everyone saying this album is crap! This album is Metallica's throw back to their early days like And Justice And Master i get that everyones Mom understands that. But its not supposed to be a repeat of the old MEtallica. Yes its a throwback but with a Matured sound. Who cares that if you turn it up to high it sounds muddy who cares that Lars' has a really loud snare (which hes allways had). IT IS FUCKIN METALLICA they dont care whta the **** you think. if they did then LArs wouldnt have sued Napster. You people need to learn that not every ****in album is gonna be the same especally after 20 years!!! What I'm trying to say is grow the **** up people and stop living in the ****in 80's!!!!!
    The 80s are like the best time to live in though. you have all of metallica's good albums aside from this one (yes I consider this to be fairly good), albums like Number of the Beast, the formation of Dream Theater (though they didn't release a great album until the 90s) and so many other awesome things. Face it... music wise, this decade sucks compared to the 80s. Either way, allow me to set you straight for a second. You see those people saying they don't like this album? They're expressing what's called opinions. Now what you're trying to do is control their opinions, or control the fact that they're expressing them. And you really have no right to do that, whereas they do, indeed, have a right to express their opinions. Nobody cares if metallica cares what they think. The fact is that they still think it and are expressing exactly what it is that they think. Why do have a problem with this? And similarly to how metallica doesn't care about what we think, nobody cares that you don't want them to express their opinion, because it's going to happen anyway. Stop trying to stop it. Accept the fact that people are actually different from each other, and like different things. If you must speak against these people, please be a civilised human being and do it through an intellegent debate or something else that doens't make you look like an idiot.
    Esen312
    Rev2Ten
    if you don't like death magnetic, you were never really a Metallica fan- he hit the nail on the head.
    i dont know about that. I LOVE Metallica. I got a lot of their material, and i just bought Kill 'Em All last week. When i listened to Kill 'Em All and Death Magnetic, i could definately tell that Metallica was back to their old roots...but seriously, I HATE the mix on this new album. Has anyone tried turning this thing up and jam to it in the car? Dude it's like you're getting raped by a mass of bees. it's just crap! I read in an interview from Joe Satriani that he said the same thing about the mix being horrible and that they just mixed it too loud. I can turn up Kill 'Em All and it dont get muddy on me like Death Magnetic does. And did anyone else find the instrumental dissapointing? it sounded like someone just played bar chords for like 8 minutes and called it a song. Orion was SO much better in my opinion
    MasterExploder0
    Patty-cakez wrote: I feel like its a decent album, and definately listenable, but isn't wat I was hoping for. I like some of the tracks like Unforgiven 3, My Apocalypse, and All Nightmare Long. But to me, it somewhat sounds like Metallica tried too hard once again. Their songs are FILLED TO THE BRIM with riffs, when, in many occasions, bore me. About 75% through All Nightmare Long, they just start doing riffs that change a bit every now and then, and it gets kinda annoying....and that goes on for like a whole 'nother minute. Most of the songs could be partially shorter (with some long-ass riffing cut out), but over all its like 6.7-7/10.
    That's one the main reasons I like the album. There's so many decent riffs to learn +)
    Patty-cakez
    Footallica?
    "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle" was Kirk Hammetts line on St. Anger. Just to be totally fair to Hetfield.
    MasterExploder0
    I love this album but for some reason I haven't listened to The Unforgiven III the whole way through yet.
    SideWays8
    i think this album was great. not as good as justice or puppets, and will never be close to Kill em', but this is definitely not another black album. the sound, well, lars hogged most of it, but he did it with effort. drums are a nice piece of work. better than the stuff on puppets, but no as good as justice. the distortion gives it that fizzy, scrathcy sound that u will never hear from metallica. and the production...well, we can do without cyanide. i think that should be on reload. didnt see any thrash in it. day that never comes is good, because it does have thrash, but its a rip off of One (intro, intro solo, calm riff, heavy bridge, calm riff, solo, heavy riff, drum solo, heavy E riff, longass solo, heavy chord progression). all nitemare long is my fav. on the album because i wouldve expected it on puppets. overall, i think its better than black or anger, but no as good as Kill or puppets. a comeback for the all mighty Gods of Thrash!
    mj2007
    i ****ing love this album apart from where it sounds all distorted in day that never comes before it starts getting mental. and people please forget st.anger, some of you really don't know how to let something rest do you? if anyone knows of a better metal album than this released in 2008 let me know, i find it hard to think of one myself. Metallica rule...forever.
    Jim #4
    thx to rick rubin for ****in the sound completely up...even the masterin engineer said that he isnt proud of his work cause rick did everything to win the loudness war...
    edgeyyz
    this doesn't deserve a ten rating, but this is definitely a hundred times better than St Anger. Some songs are great and some eh, but it's a great album
    bucketheadbukut
    hey all fags talking bout lars snare in saint anger, ITS NOT OUT OF TUNE he turned the snare off, and still he had one tht had the snare on
    Divinephyton
    The reasons people like it are probably because Metallica kind of grew on them like a friend; and even though a friend doesn't always totally blow you away, it's nice to see him at least come through. It's an okay album from our old friends -type of feeling, you know? It's always good to see old friends (rocking) again even though they might not be your best
    DrShreddington
    GODSMASHERXL wrote: if you have anything bad to say about death magnetic you should go listen to your shity little emo fag music....if you think it's "too loud" you should go cover your ****ing ears, if a band like metallica can't blast your speakers with an album like death magnetic, i hope you go deaf ^_^
    you obviously know nothing about anything. In saying the album is too loud, it isnt referring to the volume of the tracks, its referring to crummy mixing. And no i wont go listen to shity music, ill go listen to Judas Priest, Opeth, Alice Cooper and just maybe even some Trivium(despite them being poo), because all those bands and more put out metal albums in 2008 that are miles ahead of DM.
    The_Spuditron
    [quote]astrotrain77 wrote: Kirk Hammett is at times horrible and in other places pretty harmless. In my book, a solo should elevate the song and not just take up 12 or 18 bars of space to function as some kind of bridge, but rarely if at all does Hammett deliver a really, really tasty solo. All he does is put on the wah pedal and play anything!! I've said it before and i'll say it again.... I'd love to throw that wah pedal out the window!!!!!
    Toki Wartooth7
    h3llh4mm3r wrote: pinkfloydfish wrote: I don't know if I'll give this album a listen or not. I haven't liked any of their stuff they did starting with the black album and on down. Love the old stuff though. Don't. Stick with the first four.
    that's pretty sad that people are telling others to be ignorant about something. i think the album is great
    h3llh4mm3r
    Don't. Stick with the first four.
    h3llh4mm3r
    Laimbo wrote: At first I was very unsure, now I'm still unsure whether i like it or not. And yet I can't stop listening to it. I think it will grow on me. Regardless its a great improvement on st anger and even load and reload in my opinion.
    The funny part is if it wasn't a Metallica album nobody would be talking about it. Personally, I listened to the whole thing a couple of times and then put it away, so in my opinion it sucks.
    GODSMASHERXL
    Lackesse
    DrShreddington wrote: like I posted in the other Death Magnetic topic, will you just shut up about the album and stop posting shit about it on the front page every waking moment? This entire album reeks of one fantastic word. mediocre, stop trying to make it seem like a godsend, its an 8.0 album, a regular, bland, beige, non interesting, non memorable experience. The only reason this album gets recognition is because its by Metallica, just shut up about it already, my god there were so many far superior metal albums in 2008 but apparently theyre not popular enough to make the front page. It sickens me to see UG has turned into a complete and utter popularity contest. absolutely dissapointed.
    Exactly.Thanks for that.
    DrShreddington
    liam2309
    does james play any solos on this one, cause i'm not sure..... and if he does, what songs does he play them on