Death Magnetic review by Metallica

• Released: Sep 12, 2008
  • Users' score: 8.6 (2,438 votes)
Metallica: Death Magnetic

The Super-group comes back with an album, after seeing the video of the first single, The Day That Never Comes, it gave me a really good impression. Actually, the first time I saw The Day That Never Comes was on the instrumental part, specificaly when the solders are firing, etc. I said to myself ''OMG this so cool, sounds like 80s Metal'' and indeed, I saw the legendary band in the middle of the desert. This is the first album with Robert Trujillo, I think he is the best bassist Metallica has had after Cliff Burton and he gives some latin pride in the Metal scene. Metallica came back with their old school logo that stopped being used in the mid 90s and they came back to the standard tuning, something really pleasent to my ears (there are exceptions though, such as Black Sabbath). About their innovation, Id rather say it is something like going back to the ''golden era.'' The Day That Never Comes reminds me a lot of Fade to Black and One, being a ballad that later turns really Thrash. There is a continuation to the Unforgiven timeline, I like this one a lot. Suicide and Redemption is an instrumental that reminds me of The Call of Ktulu and the rest of the songs are really old school Metallica, like Kill Em All.

This guys are great at lyrics, all of their albums are really good lyrically, if Led Zeppelin is a 10 in lyrics this guys are a 9 or a 9.5. Eventhough Metallica returned to the old school Thrash-style (like the Dave Mustaine days) Kirk Hammet does give a lot of melodic arrangements to the pieces and they go great, it is a great mix. About the singer skills, James' voice might have changed a bit, but nothing to criticize, his screams are awesome and eventhough it is a Thrash baritone voice, he does really good high tones, for example in The Day That Never Comes.

I think Death Magnetic was the best album in 2008 and one of the best in the decade. As said before, some of the songs compare to the old ones that made Metallica a legendary band. The most impressive song of the album is definetly The Unforgiven III. I love the cover, really good design, I love the band's sound and I would love to see them live here in Colombia, the only thing I hate is a song called All Nightmare Long. If it was stolen or lost I wouldn't buy it again, just cause it is on my computer now, I would look forward to another album, just cause I like to experience new stuff.

TriviumFan717
    I agree that this album is defitntly a great album, but some people just can't stop b*****. Seriously most people complained about the black album not being like master of puppets etc, and then death magnetic comes out with a album with a near same sound as their older albums and they b**** about it. "Their sell-outs" "Their copying their old style and playing it safe" stfu! anyways great album from a great band.
    the fourth god
    They all suck to a certain degree, but DM better, I agree..Load and Reload wins by a mile on recording quality, though.
    Solskinn8 wrote: why does this get the same score as load or reload? i personally think this is much better than both of them combined.
    RyoujokuNoAme
    I've had the album for quite a while, and the more I listen to it, the more disappointed I become. OK, it's miles better than St. Anger, but they have kept certain elements. The annoying repetitiveness that was heard on St Anger is still there, is a start. It seems to me that they took St. Anger, put some solos in and just gave it the fans who hated it, saying "there, satisfied?" Don't get me wrong, they're going in the right direction (backwards ), and the next album may very well be awesome. But this is unfortunately a disappointment.
    SacVille
    i don t get what people complain about this album. This is just great, even though i wished for a brighter song like sabbra cadabra but it s still great. Heavy riffs we re wishing for since ages. Those peoples should try writing those songs first and let the 80's finaly go