Death Magnetic review by Metallica

• Released: Sep 12, 2008
  • Users' score: 8.6 (2,437 votes)
Metallica: Death Magnetic

The sound of this album is the closest you'll get to being assaulted, its been nearly 30 years since the band started making music together and after all this time the agression and energy is just as deadly. I had eagerly awaited this album so Metallica were going to be hard pressed from the beginning, fortunately as soon as the faint heartbeat and mystic guitar riff started the hairs on my neck stood up, it was moments after this that Kirk, started a riff that could only be described as exhillarating. Then before you know the band's tightness is in full swing as James screams 'like a siren in my head' at the microphone. St Anger took me awhile to adjust to before I fully appreciated Metallica's direction and sound on the album, in a completely opposite transistion, Death Magnetic is the biggest blend of every bit of material they've ever written, the album is the best of metal, sorry folks but they can't keep re-issuing Master of Puppets every year to satisfy the so-called - 'real metal heads'. Trust Me, until Slayer get back you're gonna be picking up your air guitars and banging your head with this.

For a start, we all know that James Hetfield doesn't have a great voice, great in the terms of octaves and singing in key. What he does possess however is the voice that wouldn't suit anything but Metallica. His melodic voice from the Load/Reload days is present but only when neccessary and in keeping with the song and the rest of the time he is back at his brutal best, if you want proof - wait for the improptu stop in 'All Nightmare Long' before he roars back in with the words 'Hunt you down without mercy!' The lyrics on the album are exactly what the band needs to insure the sheer destruction of this album. From 'Its just the funeral i've been waiting for' to 'Broken, Beaten, Scarred - We die hard' each listen gets you a new insight to the theme of the song.

Lets face it, there's nothing out there, no new bands breaking ground, X Factor has returned and washed away all sembelence of 'Music'. So whats left? The old firm, from Slayer, ACDC, Maiden and Metallica, its been proven that the old guys do it best. Death Magnetic will be the album everyone talks about. Those that come out to critise it and those who love it. You may love this album, you may not - how am I suppose to know your tastes? BUT if you own a Metallica album, this, could very well be your next one. Solos, anger, melodies, speed, aggression, rhythm its got it all. For the Metallica fans (the real ones) its another blessing to keep you warm until your tickets for the World Magnetic tour get there.

SGofawesome
    metallman wrote: aadit wrote: MonsterOfRock wrote: Reviewer Pete wrote: MonsterOfRock the UG Team reviewer... mate which crappy sound system are you using? Incase over the last 25 years you didnt notice that Metallica sound has a void of midrange and a pack full of treble and bass... Rob is not as audible? seriously, get a new soundsystem. And please don't tell me that this review is based on a 128kb/s internet leak. And no mentioning of "All Nighmare Long", and "Unforgiven III" sucks? get your hearing checked mate. My soundsystem isn't the best, but it has never failed me before. Rob is certainly 'felt', in the sense that the album packs punch in the low end, but he's not as audible as one should desire. For the record, I have no problem hearing basslines in other Metallica albums...Justice aside, of course. "All Nightmare Long" is OK. Yes, The Unforgiven III sucks. My hearing is perfectly fine. It's not based on a 128kbp/s leak. Meh, I stand by my remarks when I say a good soundsystem is the cure. Why don't you accept the fact that the bass is not nearly as prominent as it should be. Its been neglected by metallica ever since Cliff died. Most of the post MoP albums had no good basslines at all. Justice didnt have bass at all. Btw i liked All Nightmare Long but unforgiven iii was just sh*t specially the solo. Maybe i expected too much... Justice had bass... At least the bass knob on the guitar amp was turned up all the way. I don't think that counts, though. I'm currently working on recording bass guitar for all songs on AJFA, and if I can get permission, I'll post them on here, so watch for them...
    Yea, the Unforgiven III does suck, big time.
    SGofawesome
    godforbid4231
    SGofawesome wrote: First you have St. Anger, which was terrible. Then Metallica comes back with death magnetic, a much better album. Not the best album by metallica, not by far. But it was a big step from St. Anger, so at least they're not down in the dumps anymore. I actually believe that if they make another album, it will be better than Death Magnetic by far, could even be in the same league in the first four albums. They only have room for improvement, and as their legacy may be coming to a close sometime soon, they'll belt out the best.
    MotörHeadFan22
    You speak the truth man, i love that album, with the exception of the The Unforgiven III, which all in all isn't a terrible song, but it would be better if it was called something different lol, but yeah Death Magnetic was a step back into the realm of thrash, i love it 9.1/10 definitely not on par with their first 5 but yeah their coming back...