Death Magnetic review by Metallica

• Released: Sep 12, 2008
  • Users' score: 8.6 (2,437 votes)
Metallica: Death Magnetic

Death Magnetic is a relief to Metallica fans like myself, as it shows a return to their thrash roots, such ass Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets. However, there was some sound quality problems which were fixed in the Guitar Hero series. Also, Robert Triquillo, Metallica's bassist, could not be heard as well as in songs like Seek And Destroy. Lars hogs most of the sound, while Hetfield and Hammett take up about 3/4 the rest. The guitars sound great, as opposed to Lars's snare drum, which could still use some improvement.

One thing that I didn't like about the St. Anger album was the repetition of the lyrics. Hetfield is now bringing out great lyrics, if not 80's level. There are really good lyrics, such as the chorus in The Judas Kiss and The End Of The Line. While he doesn't exactly reach the vocal expertise of Master Of Puppets or ...And Justice For All, his lyrics can't hurt the song. His delivery is solid too, doing better than the average thrash singer in their 40's. However, I feel he should stay away from high pitched songs, such as The Unforgiven III.

Most of the songs on this album are good or better. However, some songs can be chopped off, IMO, Broken, Beat, and Scarred and The Unforgiven III. As for individuals, James, we've already talked about. Hammett, his solos should deliver more punch. They are good, but they should be longer, not act as some sort of bridge for the song. The rhythm section is perfect, no complaints. Trijillo, although he can barely be heard, if at all, is perfect too, as I have listened to the bass tracks. Lars is jut horrible: he's a shell of the 80's drummer we know. However, this album is a major improvement, and I hope they improve and make another album like this.

SGofawesome
    godforbid4231 wrote: SGofawesome wrote: First you have St. Anger, which was terrible. Then Metallica comes back with death magnetic, a much better album. Not the best album by metallica, not by far. But it was a big step from St. Anger, so at least they're not down in the dumps anymore. I actually believe that if they make another album, it will be better than Death Magnetic by far, could even be in the same league in the first four albums. They only have room for improvement, and as their legacy may be coming to a close sometime soon, they'll belt out the best. No.
    KendraRamon
    Death Magnetic was probably one of their best CD's But then again. I love ALL Their CD's. i agree Kirk uses a bit too much "Wah" But i like it I think James Voice sounds way better than most people. At Least he makes an Effort. Metal Up Your Ass!;D
    Gcwarrior
    To me the only good points of post Dave Mustaine Metallica were Hetfield's pre-blow out vocals, and Hetfield's riffs. With Hetfield's vocals now mediocre the only redeeming factor of the CD is that the riffs are still quite good. Lars is a fairly mediocre drummer in general but these days he's even worse, making him quite a low point on albums such as death Magnetic. I've always found Kirk's "shred" solos, aside from a selection few *cough Ride The Lightning and One* to be quite horrible, and in DM he's got a ton of "shred" solos : / (I do love a lot of Kirk's slow solos BTW). Like some reviews have mentioned, the bass is pretty hard to hear, or is not particularly memorable. The one thing that pisses me off about Metallica is that they would've been SO MUCH ****ing better with a great guitarist and drummer. Lastly, it is a return to form for Metallica, and is probably the best thing they've done since the Black album, so this is quite a breath of fresh air. But yea, just wanted to voice my opinion without going through the trouble of posting an in depth review . 6/10.