Death Magnetic review by Metallica

• Released: Sep 12, 2008
  • Users' score: 8.6 (2,437 votes)
Metallica: Death Magnetic

**The CD player is broken in my car, and as a result this CD has been stuck in it almost since it was released. As a result, I've had PLENTY of time to analyze it; perhaps too much time.** Anyone familiar with the Metallica sound should be familiar with basic Metallica formula. James saying "yeah" or "ah" every so often; Kirk noodling with some pentitonic genius I wish I could mimic; Robert walking with the bass (no doubt doing the crab walk as well); Lars going ape-sh-t on the snare (at least it's tuned, unlike "St. Anger"). This is a formula that works well for Metallica. Though this album doesn't define a genre like "Master Of Puppets", it much better put together than something like "St. Anger".

I liked it when James Hetfield said in an interview a few years ago "Metallica is looking for a singer. I'm just filling in until we find him." Really James? You've been filling in for 20-something years- I think it's time you take the job. Hetfield has penned some pretty potent lyrics over the years. In "Death Magnetic", he hits the nail on the head several times, but I have to confess the instrumental is my favorite track, lyrically speaking; not because the other tracks a weak, but they write the words with thier instruments. With all the Justin Beibers and what not in the world, there are not enough skilled musicians these days.

Like I stated earlier, I've listened to this album in my car more that any sane person would. In a nutshell I'll put it this way: say you could only listen to one to listen to one album over and over again for the rest of time (which is basically what I will be doing). In all the albums on all the world, I could have definitely don't A LOT worse. Thanks for not driving me insane on my commute Metallica!

Scrubbles
    who the **** had the time to down vote every single comment?!
    iommi600
    "789 comments total" Thinking that someone went through almost 800 comments and disliked every single one made me feel better about myself.
    stnuCgnikcuF
    Yeah, seriously. I mean, I've accepted people will be stupid, but this takes stupidity to a whole new level.
    Rimfrost
    The more ive listened to it, the less i like it. I really cant stand the transition filler riffs they do between each segments in most of the songs and the song structures are all over the place. Its like they forgot how to write a song, mostly every song seems to outstay its welcome by atleast 2-3 minutes, it was the same problem on St. Anger. And its not just because i have a problem with long songs (i dont, quite to the contrary), its just that somewhere down the line, Metallica lost focus and the ability to write long songs. And then theres the horrendous production (boring weak guitars, no bass, and ear crushing drums that starts to grate the ears halfway through the cd). Final complaint is the solos, they just seem pretty generic? Though a huge improvement on the EP, Beyond Magnetic, where atleast 2 of the songs had a kickass and inventive solo. I should say something positive, and i really wished i could end this on a positive note. All Nightmare long was pretty damn good? and i liked the melodic solo part of suicide and redemption and there is an occasional awesome riff here and there. Hopefully they nail it next time.