Francais Pour Une Nuit [DVD] review by Metallica

• Released: Nov 23, 2009
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Metallica: Francais Pour Une Nuit [DVD]

On July 7th 2009, Metallica played to a sold-out crowd at the Arnes de Nimes in France. Honored to play at such a historical site, the band brought along a camera crew to record the whole thing. The result is "Franais Pour Une Nuit": French For One Night, Metallica's first official live DVD since S&M way back in 1999. Fans will get to see the greatest metal band of all time play in front of 20 000 French fans in a full blown coliseum.

Content — 9
The setlist for the concert was as follows:

01. Blackened

--Encore--
16. Stone Cold Crazy
17. Motorbreath
18. Seek and Destroy

Obviously, being a DVD from their World Magnetic tour, Metallica play a fair amount of songs from their latest album. However, the concert featured the perfect balance of old and new, even including a few seldom-heard songs, like Dyers Eve, which makes its DVD debut.

The concert starts off in true Metallica fashion ( la Ecstacy of Gold) and quickly works its way through Blackened (which features some stunning double bass from Lars) and Creeping Death (cue the "Die!" chanting). During Fade to Black, James asks "Do you feel like I do?" before launching into the final section. Broken, Beat and Scarred shows James interacting with the audience, and James gets them to sing along to the intro of Sad but True.

The second half of the concert begins with machinegun fire and lots of pyro before launching into One, which features more stunning double bass (timed with different colours of flames) before Hammett's frantic tapping solo. Kirk shreds it up a little before The Day that Never Comes, and after the stapled Master of Puppets, the moment we've all been waiting for: Dyers Eve. An amazing performance. Kirk nails the solo. The only thing missing is Lars' crazy double bass during the verses. Hammett plays another, more melodic solo before starting Nothing Else Matters, where James gets down on his knees after the solo and just lets the feedback run before the opening riff of Enter Sandman. Simply put: beautiful.

The encore, as per usual, features a cover, in this case an upbeat cover of Queen's Stone Cold Crazy. The band doesn't stop for a breather before Lars starts the intro to Motorbreath. The final song, Seek and Destroy, sees the band turn on the house lights, while beach balls marked Death Magnetic are kicked into the crowd by the band.

The DVD features little bonus content, including an interview with James about the World Magnetic tour, among other things. While some may criticize the DVD for it's very small amount of bonus content, the performance is obviously the main attraction, and well worth it.

Production Quality — 10
Metallica's sound on DVD is, as always, spotless. Unlike most LiveMetallica recordings, Lars' double bass is clearly audible (and more than loud enough to settle rumours that he isn't a good drummer) while Robert Trujillo's basslines can easily be picked out in most songs. Kirk's solos are spot on, playing with a newfound fury not heard in years, and James hasn't sounded this good since back in the early 90's.

Franais Pour Une Nuit also marks the first time Metallica have ever released a live DVD in 5.1 DTS Surround Sound as well as Blu-Ray, making is sound and feel like you were right up there, in the front row.

Franais Pour Une Nuit is available exclusively to France; anyone wishing to buy it outside of France has to order it online. The shipping may make it a little more expensive, but Franais Pour Une Nuit is definitely worth the extra buck or two. With its pristine quality (both sonically and visually), Metallica have proven once again that the greatest heavy metal band ever are still on the top of the game.

Astyan
    MotörHeadFan22
    horandago wrote: metallica have always been metal, it's just changed from thrash at load
    EXACTLY! THANK YOU!! Why won't people get that? Load was about as heavy as Motley Crue
    Sami Philadelph
    metallifreak77
    what an amazing and solid performance form the metal titans. I've seen a lot of clips on youtube and they prove that Metallica still kick all of our assess, keep it coming!
    Ali-b912
    HH_Emo_666
    the album St. Anger is pretty much a metal cd. It just sounds nothing like Metallica at all. The snare sounds like a garbage can,the guitars and bass are in drop c, and theirs no solos. Also theres only like 2 or 3 songs that have long intros
    'TallicaRules
    yeah i liked St.anger song for the insane drumming
    K!!LsWiTcH
    metallica-#1
    for **** sakes.... its: That Was Just Your Life THAT Was Just Your THAT Was Just THAT Was THAT ...not THIS -.- Christ people, its not that difficult double bass doesnt make a good drummer but Lars has/had a unique style and sound in the drumming world where as nowadays its all blastbeats and super fast double bass with relitivly over-used un-imaginative drum beats a lot of metal today sounds exactly the same Lars' drumming is a breath of fresh air in my opinion
    you = fail
    I am kinda resenting the Amazon summary of this http://www.amazon.com/Francais-Pour-Une-... p/B002OT735A [QUOTE=Amazon]Francais Pour Une Nuit is an electrifying full length live DVD. The 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse -that is, James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Kirk Hammett and Robert Trujillo - ride into Nimes and make their entrance into the Coliseum, through the gladiator's tunnel, before performing an explosive set of Metallica music. Fans can also look forward to some exclusive backstage footage.[/QUOTE] Not that I dont want him to be mentioned as a part of this DVD's success, but I dont think they should have used that sentence. The Four Horsemen includes Cliff. :/
    PowerStruggle
    I'll send a note in to Amazon saying they should change it to The Three Horsemen of the Apocalypse and Rob Trujillo
    humperdunk
    RyanMetalMatthe
    You're a fool. St. Anger featured James' absolute best vocals.
    MotörHeadFan22
    humperdunk wrote: Sami Philadelph wrote: ...I'm sorry but comparing Motley Crue to Load? Wtf? A real metal-head respects METAL, and even if you share the elitist "I hate glam" bullshit attitude of a so called "pure" metalhead, you can't deny Motley Crue was pretty full on Metal. And NO, Metallica HAVEN'T been Metal all throughout the years, for one, THE BLACK ALBUM IS NOT THRASH METAL. Why won't you understand that? Secondly, their blues rock/alternative output on Load/Reload is obviously not metal. It's up to you decide whether you like it or not, but its not metal. St.Anger is nu-metal, and I'm pretty sure we all want to forget that genre even exist. FINALLY... WAYYYY more Thrash bands took on Slayers sound over Metallica, and it should be noted the two bands were thrash, but never sounded alike. BUT ANYWAYS... Sounds like an epic DVD, I, for one, appreciate the France exclusive marketing strategy. It's kind of like a treat. Although, this just means it'll be downloaded constantly in the states. haha man you cite all of these rules for being a "true metalhead" when all along rock 'n' roll is about breaking rules and going against the flow... to be honest you kind of come across as a douche. you also seem like a genre oriented listener, rather than a music oriented listener.
    SGofawesome
    MotrHeadFan22 wrote: SGofawesome wrote: Ali-b912 wrote: Sami Philadelph wrote: St.Anger is nu-metal, and I'm pretty sure we all want to forget that genre even exist. It's not nu metal, there's no rapping. It's actually kinda thrashy (except for not having any solos), the snare drum just made it sound really weird and you can't actually hear half of what lars is doing. I swear the song St Anger has faster doublekicks in that one section between the chorus and verse then most of their earlier discography. If you fixed that snare drum, St Anger would be at least an acceptable heavy metal album. Probably not quite enough to be thrash though.System Of A Down is considered nu-metal, and they don't rap. Same with Disturbed, and Slipknot. i don't even consider System nu-metal, they're just to awesome to be in the genre and same with disturbed, slipknot not so much...
    Agreed all the way, slipknot have a couple songs like Pulse of the Maggots and Wait and Bleed, System shouldn't be nu-metal but apparently that's what they are. System is better than disturbed IMO.
    SGofawesome
    RyanMetalMatthe wrote: K!!LsWiTcH wrote: 'TallicaRules wrote: Ali-b912 : Sami Philadelph wrote: St.Anger is nu-metal, and I'm pretty sure we all want to forget that genre even exist. It's not nu metal, there's no rapping. It's actually kinda thrashy (except for not having any solos), the snare drum just made it sound really weird and you can't actually hear half of what lars is doing. I swear the song St Anger has faster doublekicks in that one section between the chorus and verse then most of their earlier discography. If you fixed that snare drum, St Anger would be at least an acceptable heavy metal album. Probably not quite enough to be thrash though. yeah i liked St.anger song for the insane drumming yeah too bad the overall production ate shit, james voice was shot for most of the songs (frantic-ticktic-tic-tck!? come on) and most of the songs were just terrible. no solos and drop c dont make a bad album, shit production and songwriting make one. You're a fool. St. Anger featured James' absolute best vocals.
    no... Justice has best vocals for me IMO. anyone else agree?
    bartdevil_metal
    Guys, for the last time, Reload is METAL. Not Thrash, certainly, but you can't call it Rock/Alternative/Blues/Folk or whatever else has been put forward over the years. 1."Fuel"
    bartdevil_metal
    LJM91
    Awesome and yeah Justice has the best vocals or Black album
    ImagineTheThorn
    SGofawesome wrote: Ali-b912 wrote: Sami Philadelph wrote: St.Anger is nu-metal, and I'm pretty sure we all want to forget that genre even exist. It's not nu metal, there's no rapping. It's actually kinda thrashy (except for not having any solos), the snare drum just made it sound really weird and you can't actually hear half of what lars is doing. I swear the song St Anger has faster doublekicks in that one section between the chorus and verse then most of their earlier discography. If you fixed that snare drum, St Anger would be at least an acceptable heavy metal album. Probably not quite enough to be thrash though. System Of A Down is considered nu-metal, and they don't rap. Same with Disturbed, and Slipknot.
    Have you listened to Slipknots self-titled? There's alot of rapping on there.
    bo0oho0o
    Sami Philadelph wrote: And NO, Metallica HAVEN'T been Metal all throughout the years, for one, THE BLACK ALBUM IS NOT THRASH METAL. Why won't you understand that?
    Sorry just had to quote this complete retard who apparently thinks that Thrash is the only form of Metal, ok ill give you the comments you made about St Anger, but as far as Load/Reload, they have a more rocky sound but so did Black Sabbath and i think i've lost count of how many people regard them as a hard rock and heavy metal band (no not just an influence for heavy metal)
    curtywah
    i got the DVD and it rocks! by the way, slipknot is just a bunch of angry guys in masks trying to match the awesomeness of Metallica. i hate bands like slipknot who make the double bass sound too fast. IT RUINs the music. In my opinion, bands like slipknot should shut up, take off the masks and write some REAL metal, not this screamo rapid fast, shit solo crap. The Francais Pour Une Nuit is great. I bought it at JB HIFI a few months ago it captures their intestity, popularity and what makes them a fantastic metal band. Man my mum listens to them and she thinks their awesome.
    MFD000
    I need to find the song that Kirk played right before Nothing Else Matters. I don't believe he made that shit up, cause it was too good for them not to make a song out of!
    WiZoRZ
    yeah i'm french too, i live quebec and i would like to pick this at store..
    Astyan wrote: I'm French, and I still don't understand why they made it available in France only. I don't get the marketing strategy and logic of this, sure it forces a feeling of rarity that could potentially boost overall sales, but I don't think it can make up for the lack of direct in-store availability in US, UK and other countries. Other than that, it sounds awesome, I might buy it even if I'm not that much into Metallica since the Black Album.
    yeah i'm french too, i live quebec and i would like to pick this at store..
    ThrashMetalhead
    HH_Emo_666 wrote: im pretty sure they've filmed or atleast recorded two live shows in mexico.
    They filmed the 3 shows in Mexico City for the DVD "Orgullo, Pasion y Gloria: Tres Noches en la Ciudad de Mexico". It was released on november 30 in different versions including one with 2 DVD's and 2 CD's which has a total of 34 different songs including some rare ones like Ride the Lightning, Disposable Heroes, Fight Fire With Fire, Holier Than Thou, Trapped Under Ice, Dyers Eve, etc. It was only released on Mexico and South America but you can buy it online.
    MotörHeadFan22
    I saw this show, i loved it from start to finish, even if it's not exact on how the world magnetic tour is. (Opening with blackened instead of This Was Just Your Life)
    emidog
    I saw them in January this year and they were amazing. I hope this DVD shows how awesome they still are.
    This Is Fun
    Awesome setlist, though not indicative of the World Magnetic Tour. They cherry picked this set for marketing purposes rather than showing a typical show for the current tour.
    Music_Eater
    well well... i m not really into newer 'tallica, but I have no real problems with it, it just seems a bit too overhyped in my country (especially) and that repulses me. Other than that they are coming to town so i definately won't miss them 'tallica but what setlist should I attend?
    BornToRun
    setlist is a lot like the one i heard in sonisphere at Pori and it was awesome ;D
    SilverHammer :O
    Kwyjibo2006
    SilverHammer :O wrote: You should consider removing the bias from your future reviews. Metallica are the most successful metal band of all time but well..yeah see that's why you should remove the bias. Good review otherwise.
    They pretty much are, except for maybe Black Sabbath. Just about every metal band today cite Metallica's first 5 albums as their most influential. Thanks for the good comments
    metalgirl0
    Too bad it's only available in France... I have friend who actually went to see that gig, he saw it on the DVD, and he saw it in a Theater, where the DVD was also presented, so he actually saw the same show in 3 different contexts
    MetalFridge
    The reviewer writes, "The only thing missing is Lars' crazy double bass during the verses," then "Lars' double bass is clearly audible (and more than loud enough to settle rumours that he isn't a good drummer)" Well if he can't even play parts that HE wrote on the drums isn't that a fairly strong statement that he has lost a step as a drummer?
    Raven_Flight
    Nowdays there is a strange tendency to say that a drummer is good just because he plays double bass. That's really wrong man, Lars is good but not exactly for that. Nice DVD yes sir, I'll probably order it when I have the money.