Fuel review by Metallica

• Released: Jun 16, 1998
Metallica: Fuel

Metallica definetly went for a more hard rock sound on both "Load" and "ReLoad", and this track shows that sound at its best. As you may know, this song was originally called "Fuel For Fire" and you can probably find the original on YouTube. The b-side on my copy, "Until It Sleeps", was a song I hated until I heard the live version.

The lyrics of this track are great, fitting in with James' love of cars. The lyrics seem to go with the music very well. James is a great rock vocalist, and you can hear that on this track. However, the lyrics to the b-side are stupid (so wash me, until I'm clean! WTF?).

This track totally compares to anything anyone else could do, if not better. What I like about this particular track is how Metallica went for a hard rock sound rather than their usual thrash sound. If this were stolen or lost, I may try to find another copy of this very rare single.

Gazawonga
    Although you are correct in that this is a good single, by Metallica standards, this is quite weak. The load and reload albums were created on, virtually, a whim compared to the genius of the other albums Metallica have made. This is self confessed and evident on the Some Kind Of Monster Documentary created in combination with the St Anger Album. If you want perfection, Orion, One, Call of the Katula, etc for your thrash. Enter Sandman, Unforgiven, Wherever I may Rome from the Black album are greater examples of hard rock. Dont get me wrong, I really do love the Load and Reload albums, but they could have been done by a different band. the other albums speak volumes for themselves. Addendum: So wash me until Im Clean is used in the actual release of the Until it sleeps song even on the album. It is just not as prominent as on the b side you have. This is not used to indicate the actual dirty appearance of the person in question and to clean this but more to remove a dirty feeling which, when viewed in this way, is far more fitting to the song than a simple "Clean Me" sign.
    HH_Emo_666
    I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound like an *****, by why would you review a single?