Garage Inc. review by Metallica

• Released: Nov 24, 1998
Metallica: Garage Inc.

This has to be the most genre-varied Metallica album. All songs on this album are covers of songs from artist like Motorhead, Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult, Bob Segar, The Misfits, Lynard Skynard, and even Black Sabbath. Some songs were originally hits while there are ones that you probably haven't heard of. Metallica adds a lot of energy to each song with heavy guitar riffs (which they do a really good job at). Other songs are all acoustic like Tuesday's Gone. Solos are also really varied, Kirk Hammett really shows what he's made of on this album. James Hetfield also shows his universal skills as a guitarist. James and Lars also try some new stuff here also. These guys are all extremly musically experienced. If you want an album with songs that all sound different, I suggest you buy this.

Since they were all written by different artists, it's hard to review the lyrics. I'll just tell you this, some of them can get extremly explicit. Hetfield sings great throughout the whole album. He reaches different parts of his voice that you don't normally hear. Just listen to the beginning of "Astronomy", for example.

An incredible collection of different styles of music put into two music filled discs. The first disc includes all new recordings from 1998 while the second disc has the rare "Garage Days Revisited 1987" and even some unproduced B-sides and one-offs. Most of the time I stay away from cover albums, but Metallica has been in the industry so long that I trusted them to make an incredible twist on the songs. And they did. If it were lost or stolen then I would pay the 20 dollars I originally paid over again. If you have other Metallica albums, then buy this.