Garage Inc. Review

Metallica: Garage Inc.
Released: Nov 24, 1998
Genre: Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Covers
Label: Elektra
"Garage, Inc." is a cover/compilation album by the American thrash metal band Metallica.
 Lyrics: 9.1
 9.1
 8.8
 1,421
Garage Inc. Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 20, 2003

Sound: This has to be the most genre-varied Metallica album. All songs on this album are covers of songs from artist like Motorhead, Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult, Bob Segar, The Misfits, Lynard Skynard, and even Black Sabbath. Some songs were originally hits while there are ones that you probably haven't heard of. Metallica adds a lot of energy to each song with heavy guitar riffs (which they do a really good job at). Other songs are all acoustic like Tuesday's Gone. Solos are also really varied, Kirk Hammett really shows what he's made of on this album. James Hetfield also shows his universal skills as a guitarist. James and Lars also try some new stuff here also. These guys are all extremly musically experienced. If you want an album with songs that all sound different, I suggest you buy this. // 10

Lyrics: Since they were all written by different artists, it's hard to review the lyrics. I'll just tell you this, some of them can get extremly explicit. Hetfield sings great throughout the whole album. He reaches different parts of his voice that you don't normally hear. Just listen to the beginning of "Astronomy", for example. // 10

Overall Impression: An incredible collection of different styles of music put into two music filled discs. The first disc includes all new recordings from 1998 while the second disc has the rare "Garage Days Revisited 1987" and even some unproduced B-sides and one-offs. Most of the time I stay away from cover albums, but Metallica has been in the industry so long that I trusted them to make an incredible twist on the songs. And they did. If it were lost or stolen then I would pay the 20 dollars I originally paid over again. If you have other Metallica albums, then buy this. // 10

Garage Inc. Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 27, 2005

Sound: Let's see. The sound on this album is great. It provides the deeper, more grungy sound of heavy metal. If you bought the album wanting the sound of Master Of Puppets, then you probably aren't too happy with the sound. But, if you wanted Metallica to take on a heavy classical metal sound, then you got it. This album is classical metal. No doubt about it. It has riffs, solos, and rhythms that are just like classical music. It provides a sound unlike anything else. That means very fast, melodic rhythms and horribly complicated yet perfectly-peiced-together solos. Only some people enjoy classical metal. That is why it was so highly criticized after "Puppets." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics expressed deep subjects that are not really allowed to be expressed in our religously dominant world. Singer skills are the same as always; if you want a screaming the lyrics in anger and hostility rather beautiful singing in your metal, then it is a keeper. The lyrics are eperfect for the music giving it support. No other terms needed. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before, this album is classical metal, so it is a "like it or not like it" album. I like it. It stands out from the other metallica albums seeing as it takes Metallica's music a step further in terms of meaning, difficulty, and style. I love the guitar parts, the fact that it is classical metal, and the fact that it sounds unlike any other Metallica album. // 10

Garage Inc. Reviewed by: Rattlehead666, on november 14, 2005

Sound: Although the releases of Load and reload this album was actually pretty good. All the songs are covers. Disc 1 has all new recorded covers and Disc 2 has all their '80s and early '90s recordings which is awesome. The band done covers from bands such as Mercyful Fate, Black Sabbath, Diamond Head, Holocaust, Budgie and Motorhead. Disc 1 ain't the best. The only songs I like on disc 1 are Free Speech For The Dumb, It's Electric, Sabbra Cadabra, Die Die My Darling and Mercyful Fate. Now disc 2 is like 100 times better. You got songs that are awesome. Some of them are Helpless, The Small Hours, The Wait, Am I Evil?, Blitzkreig, Breadfan, The Prince and Overkill. The sound to disc 2 is great. The solo to the Prince is awesome and same with the cool part in the intro to Am I Evil?. The intro to Blitzkreig is cool too. // 10

Lyrics: I can't realy say anything about the lyrics seeing that none of the band members made them. The lyrics are good though. You got songs like The Prince which has the cool part when James say "See his face, see his smile, time to die!" James Hetfield's vocals in disc 1 ain't the best but seeing that in disc 2 it has the '80s recordings it's awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: I like album just as much as Overkill's Coverkill or Megadeth's Hidden Treasures. It is the best '90s album that they ever released. The album art is pretty cool too. Inside the boolest it talks about their history and stuff with each of the artists that they done covers on. You may also noticed that the band they done the most covers on would be Diamond Head seeing that Diamond Head help inspiried them. The only thing I hate about this album is when you open it up it has a picture there saying The Metallicats Covering All Your Favorites. I though that was false advertising because Iron Maiden: The Trooper and Anthrax: Lone Justice are some of my favorite songs but they weren't there which made me sad. // 10

Garage Inc. Reviewed by: krymson, on december 29, 2006

Sound: This is Metallica's two disc cover album. They cover songs by bands that influenced there sound and a few more covers by artist you wouldn't expect like Lynyrd Skynyrd and Bob Seger. The first disc. Includes songs by NWOBHM acts like Mercyful Fate and Diamonhead while also containing a songs by Blue Oyster Cult and a traditional folk song, but done Metallica style. The first disc contains covers that were recorded more around the time of the albums conception while the covers on disc 2 on from 1983 to about the early '90s. The guitar's sound on this album is so damn powerfull, the tone is amazing, probably my favourite tone out of all the Metallica albums. Even the lead guitar sounds heavy hitting. The drums on thhis album sound really nice especially the cymbal sounds. Metallica are probably one of the few bands that can do covers better then the original artist. // 9

Lyrics: Because the lyrics are from a wide variety the lyrics are about a wide variety of subjects. Some of which include making it in the rock 'n roll business, love and loss, music industry greed, Satan, war, and weird stuff (Good ol' "So What"). Now the vocal proformance on the first album is absolutedly amazing. Maybe not as good as in like 88-93 but still really awesome. The best new vocals are on "Sabbra Cadabra". Disc 2 was recorde in the older days so of course James' voice is top notch and sounds awesome. The best vocals proformance is on "Helpless" and "The Prince". // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I love this album, espicially disc 2. There is such a wide veriety of songs on this album, it's hard not to find a song you would like. My favourite part of the album has to be James's vocal proformance and the guitar tone on disc 1. This album isn't for everybody though, you have to be open minded to a lot of different styles of music in order to really appreciated this album. If you have just gotten into older Metallica then this may not be for you yet but in awhile, you're deffinitly going to want to give this album a try, it's a really great album. Like I said before, Metallica are one of the few bands that can do a song better than the original artist. // 9

Garage Inc. Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 21, 2005

Sound: Metallica is the best band going, this has got to be one of there best CD's I have listened to. This album has got classic heavy metal, I like the style of the metal in this album, especially in songs like Sabbra Cadabra, and Whiskey In The Jar. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are softer than a usual metallica album would be, but they are still good. James does a excellent job in this album, showing us his range of talents at the mic. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of favourite metallica albums. The songs I think are best on the album are It's Electric, Sabbra Cadabra, Turn The Page, Die Die My Darling, Mercyful Fate, Whiskey In The Jar, Tuesday's Gone, Am I Evil, Bredfan and Stone Cold Crazy. I like this albums because of its cathcy songs and its awesome beats, I do not hate anything about this album. I would definately rebuy this album if I lost it or it got stolen, it is excellent. // 10

Garage Inc. Reviewed by: METSOAD, on january 05, 2007

Sound: It's not like any covers album you have ever heard before. Metallica thought of all the artists that had inspired them in the past (the likes of Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Diamond Head and The Misfits) and put new life, fire and power into thier songs. James Hetfeild and Kirk Hammet have had to put in a very varied perofrmance on this record. From crazy shredding to acoustic picking there is not a note out of place. The bass playing, although simple is very important to each song, there are some cool bass lines but his job is more solid than spectacular. Lars has a nice easy job and is able to play out heavily on the songs to make them truly his own. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very varied, being from artists ranging from a sick loved up lunatic (Loverman) to an Irish folk classic (Whiskey In The Jar) then a look at the crappyness of the modern world (The More I See) even to the death of a parent (Am I Evil). James Hetfeild sounds different in each song, making each sounding like his own performace. The best sonsg lyrically are Am I Evil, Killing Time and the Mercyful Fate Medley. The medley of Mercyful Fate songs also has an excellent vocal performance, as does Killing Time, Blitzkerg and Sabbra Cadabbra. // 10

Overall Impression: It is definatly the best set of covers that I have ever spent my money on. It shows exactly what made Metallica the unstoppable force of Metal it is today. From fantastic lyrical prowess to amazing technical abillity you can just hear that Metallica really mean this and want to show thgier appreciation to their heros. Killing Time, Astronomy and The More I See are three impressive songs from Budgie, Blue Oyster Cult and Discharge. Metallica's version of each song is actually better than each original. They are fantastic covers that any band would be proud to put out. If it were stolen I would kill the stealer and win it back. // 10

Garage Inc. Reviewed by: GooGooFluffers, on june 03, 2009

Sound: Garage Inc. is a compilation of covers that Metallica has done of some of their favorite bands. Metallica usually sounds very good, but this album slips a bit, but since the entire album is covers, it's not really their own music that sounds bad. It's not that the album is bad, it's just that the album doesn't seem like a Metallica album. Sure they put their own twist to the songs and made them more "metallicized", but the album still isn't up to par with other Metallica albums. The album does not sound at all like Metallica's traditional trash metal sound. // 5

Lyrics: Considering the fact that Metallica didn't write the lyrics to any of the songs on this album, it makes it hard to compare it to their other albums. Obviously though, the lyrics are not as good as Metallica's own. James Hetfield still sounds awesome though, and he puts his own sound to the songs and makes some of them sound better than the originals. The only part I don't like about his singing is how he tries to sound exactly like Lemmy on the Motorhead covers. // 5

Overall Impression: As I've said, this album is not one of the best Metallica albums, and should really only be bought if you are a big Metallica fan. There are a handfull of good songs, like: "Turn The Page", "Loverman", "Astronomy", "Tuesday's Gone", "Die, Die, My Darling", "Sabbra Cadabra", "So What", and "Whiskey In The Jar". However, out of 27 songs, those 9 are the only real good ones, and some of the songs are just flat out annoying to listen to. What I do like about this album is that Metallica has put their own sound to these classic songs. What I don't like is that there's just not very many good songs. If you are a big fan of Metallica then get it, but if you just like their thrash stuff, pass it on. // 5

Comments