Harvester Of Sorrow review by Metallica

• Released: Aug 28, 1988
Metallica: Harvester Of Sorrow

This is the 2nd Single from Metallica's breakthrough album "...And Justice For all." It showcases one of the highlights from the notoriously badly produced 1988 record. It also has 2 covers which oddly enough are better produced than the actual song. I'm not giving it full marks because it is so poorly produced.

"Harvester Of Sorrow" is one of the lyrical masterpeices of "...And Justice For All" with lines such as "Anger, misery, you suffer unto me". It shows off the truly evil side to James Hetfields vocals. James alos does very good jobs of the covers, which are originaly by 2 of Metallica's great influences, Budgie and Diamond Head. But like the Creeping Death single, another track from the album would have made this even better.

Overall it is hard to rate this because there are only 3 songs, but it is definatly not the best single. That title goes "Creeping Death" because it is a better song than "Harvester Of Sorrow."

Agemoi
    krymson
    Harverster of sorrow is awsome, goddamn I gotta start listening to AJFA again.
    Metal Onslaught
    Agemoi wrote : for the first review, what does he mean "notoriusly badly produced 1988 record", the only album that is "notorious" for bad production is St.Anger, the only way ...And Justice For All is badly produced is if you are a bassist, they admit to turning the bass way down on that album, but as all Metallica records it was produced the way they wanted the album to sound, hence the "notoriously badly produced record" St.Anger, but in short I just thought that was the wrong comment about ...And Justice For All, i think its the most kick ass album they have riff wise in my opinion
    I agree. Everyone is always ripping on the production values of ...And Justice for All. Its really not that bad at all. Sure there is no thumping bass, but hey, they record sounds good, and the songs are epic. I think most of the kids these days are just jumping on the "Justice was poorly produced" bandwagon b/c that is what they were told. Grow up kids, this album ****ing rules, even with the bass turned down. If you want a shittily (is this a word?) Metallica album, I agree: pick up St. Anger. it just doesn't sound good. or even worse, get one of your buddies to give you one of his self produced garage band demos....
    SmashandBurn
    As a Bass player, it sucks that they turned the bass down. But seriously ...And Justice for All was Metallica's best album. (And that's saying something)
    FearOfTheDuck
    I saw tallica live this year and i didnt like the bass on the AJFA songs xD. Good single though, its always on my turntable