Hero Of The Day review by Metallica

• Released: Sep 9, 1996
  • Reviewer's score: 3 Poor
Metallica: Hero Of The Day

Hero Of The Day does not sound like the Metallica I know. The whole approach is different. And while the single includes a live Kill/Ride medley, these songs off their first two CDs do not even sound like classics anymore when played by Metallica. I mean they sound like different songs. Slower, more choppy, and I need not talk about James' recent voice change shall I? The medley contains Ride the Lightning, No Remorse, The Four Horsemen, Phantom Lord, Hit The Lights, and Fight Fire With Fire. Hero Of The Day is meant for hard rock fans, not metal heads.

One word. Terrible. Yes, the lyrics do go good with the music, but how they are sung makes me want to go deaf. It seems to me that around the time of the Black Album, James got throat surgery or something. Yes James can sing on tune, but doesn't do even an average job with it. Uh, what am I listening to and what have you done with James?

The single doesn't compare to anything on this earth, in a bad way. I hate the vocals, guitars, and everything for that matter. If it was stolen, I seriously would not care. I was out at a store and saw it, and thought that I could add it to my CD collection. Yet I did not know what was in store for me when I put it in my CD player on the way home. I listened to it once that day, and once today just to remember how bad it was so I could tell you.

M.B.MetalTabber
    el-gilberto
    im as much a metalhead as anyone, but i honestly like the mellower, more atmospheric elements of load and reload. its different to their other stuff, but that doesnt mean its bad!
    LordThon
    Exactly the stance I've always taken. It's good to see that I'm not alone.
    triky66
    This review was bull shit. I am just going to say that Metallica wouldnt be around if they stuck to thrash. I am not saying that I dont like the early albums, because I do. But Hero Of The Day is a great song, as was Load/ReLoad. I am just glad Metallica are doing what they want to do.
    Shabalaba
    LordThon
    ...James blew his vocal chords recording the cover of "So What" during the Black Album sessions. I take it you don't own Load or Reload?
    Metallicafan777
    JohnTheFishermn
    BeanieM2B
    Kurai
    So? Why 3? It's a great song!! It shouldn't be reviewed by idiots like you who instead of reviewing post if they liked it or not This single ain't 3, it's definitely around 7/8
    MaggaraMarine
    BeanieM2B wrote: all im gonna say on this matter is that metallica are always doin something new and different (not new as in unique and never done before but something which is new to them) theyre always re-inventing their sound and if you ask me they wouldnt be where they are now without doing so. whos gonna buy Kill Em All 9 times? regardless of how good their first few albums are, people will get fed up if they sound exactly the same on every new album they release.
    Agree. People will bitch, no matter what you do. If you release same kind of albums all the time, people say "Why don't they change their style?" They get fed up with the same style. Then when the band changes their style, the same guys say "Why did they change their style?"
    bassman213293
    go slit our wrists? go onto a hawthorne heights forum and say that, not in a metallica discussion retard.
    thebeholder19
    Metallica is the longest lasting band to actually do something. Rolling Stones? Christ, when you can order the from the senior citizens menu, give it up. There has only been 2 times I was let down by Metallica. Napster, and hearing Kirks voice on Some Kinda Monster (the movie) But then I listened to a song from every album and remembered, who gives a shit? their music kicks ass.
    rockerman987
    1st. I like every single one of Metallica's songs, even St anger. 2nd. Like i just said i like this, but it even seems to be aimed more at soft rock/alternotive fans
    guitarfreak222
    wildchild6660 wrote: LordThon wrote: M.B.MetalTabber wrote: If any other band had released Load and ReLoad, they'd be massive albums. Don't rate Metallica's albums based on what they had released before them, rate them based on how good they actually are. Exactly the stance I've always taken. It's good to see that I'm not alone. I agree. Those albums were not bad. That was the musical direction they should have continued to go in. But St. Anger was kind of crap. And this new single is terrible.
    erm this was released in 1996 its not there new album
    rasedori
    ya see, no matter what, no matter how it goes, metallica will always be better than alot of other bands out there, or any bands that will ever be out there. isn't that right, weezer.
    Kirk_Hammet12
    metallica are the best band around and all their albums kick arse so i dont know wot every one is talkin about... metallica deserve respect, they have been around 4 ages and never cease to amaze so go and slit ur wrists or summit
    All0utR0ck
    JohnTheFishermn : All0utR0ck wrote: Motorheadbanger wrote: roarinflames wrote: POWERMETAL! wrote: jfsj123 wrote: st anger wasnt a decent album but ive got high ewpectations for their new album. they've really built this album up to be the best thing ever but theres no way a band can suck for 10 or 15 years and come back with a killer album, but ppl will probally like it because look at whats out to compare it to. nothing. trivium? garbage. Metallicafan777 wrote: You know, they are still Metallica. Their new stuff may be different, but it's just that. Just because it's different from their older stuff it doesn't mean it sucks. no. i really don't think they are the same band anymore, the've changed not just the music but the attitude and everything. they aren't metallica. if you could go back in time and ask the origional band (with dave and cliff) what this is and show them a video of metallica now they would probally say that it was complete shit. and if you woulda told them that was what was gonna happen to metal then you'd get hit! that was metallica. this is not. and can never be again. good luck finding material with both mustaine and cliff faggot they werent even in the band at the same time dumbass ummmmm..... dave quit in '83. kliff joined in '82 go back to bed retard Actually...to correct your statement...Dave Mustaine was in Metallica ONLY when Ron McGovney was in the band. And this was during the "No Life 'Till Leather" and "Metal Up Your Ass" days. Metallica parted ways with McGovney and kicked Mustaine out of the band because of his alcohol issues. Which, in point in time they found Cliff and replaced Mustaine with Kirk Hammett and THEN they released "Kill 'Em All" YOU sir...should check up on your Metallica history Actually, Motorheadbanger is correct. Cliff and Dave were in the band at the same time. There is even videos were both are playing, and there is a cd from a live show for download in Metllica's site were both play. If anyone should check the Metallica history it is you.
    Whoopdee freakin do...Burton and Mustaine were in Metallica for ONE concert...MY BAD!!!!
    wildchild6660
    shiftycow
    I like all Metallica albums. ALL That being said, I am happy to see that they are trying new stuff with every album. If they all sounded like the first three it wouldn't be so great, it would be monotonous. I really hope they try a little harder with this upcoming work. I hope they let Kirk do what they hired him to do, and play lead, solos etc. Last but not least I almost got down on my knees and thanked God that Bob Rock is not producing this album. I think the vast majority of the bad decisions came from him, I think he is responsible for the tension. Notice, that their sound changed so dramatically when he came aboard.
    jpob
    this song kicks ass, its one of the last songs that hetzys voice is ok and the heavy interlude is just PERFECT. I give the song a 4.5/5
    kassu
    "Hero Of The Day is meant for hard rock fans, not metal heads." Metallica has always been for metal heads. Atleast before
    steelfingers
    Shabalaba wrote: If any other band had released Load and ReLoad, they'd be massive albums. Don't rate Metallica's albums based on what they had released before them, rate them based on how good they actually are Dude you are completely right, i allways think that. If you are goin to rate someones album on what they used to do, just dont bother, Metallica dont play what you want they play what they want. Whatever it may be.
    i couldnt agree more. thats the problem with many people, they believe that a band has to stick to one genre. sure, its true that a band should focus on their main genre, but they dont have to stick to one thing, they can do whatever they want! take a look at dream theater for example, theyre not just a progressive metal band, they also take influence from rock, blues, ballads (another day, through her eyes, hollow years,wait for sleep) and heavier more thrash metal (constant motion, honour thy father) while still also playing their prog metal roots (under a glass moon, octavarium)
    pantallica95
    THANK YOU! i was trying to say sumthing like that but i always worded it wrong!
    pantallica95
    cliff and dave were both on the whiplash/no remorse demo tape. it was their first tape with cliff and last with dave.
    cof_median11
    you cant give metallica any shit. they rocked the hell outta the world. now they are in there forties and sobered up, theyre not in there 20's partying every night drinking all the time, they have familys now. and have settled down so obviosly were not gonna hear another album like the early ones because they physically and emotionallycant play that style. also look at bands liek iron maiden who were thrashin in the 80's and now have a totally different sound because they've aged
    Helloween 4Ever
    gopherthegreat wrote: i didnt really like their stuff after the black album, except for the Until it sleeps single, which i do like. but even the black album wasnt as good as their early stuff. their best in my opinion was Justice For All, where they were at the peak of their creativity (in my opinion).
    Personally, i think Ride the Lightning was their best because(Im a Bassist) theres almost no bass in that song, cause they dougted Newsteds ability. everything after the Burton acident was slowly getting worse. RIP Cliff
    Maniacal_Mikey
    I know no one ever looks at these old reviews anymore, but I want to say thank you to this dude, because he is someone who actually knows how to listen to music. He doesn't judge bands by all their stuff, but simply by their current music. You, sir are a TRUE Metallica fan.
    Maniacal_Mikey
    Metallicafan777 wrote: If you can't appreciate the musical value of Metallica's new stuff, at least appreciate the fact they are still around. And the only reason noone likes their new stuff is because you can't do anything but compare it to their older stuff, which was better. Look at it for what it is, not what it should be.
    Thank you, sir.
    Astaldo
    always these "metallica-died-after-load"-people... screw yourself! to all "this-is-not-metallica"-people... ever listened to Nothing else matters? **** off and post bullshit on oasis-reviews on amazon... that's all
    Smithsc
    I fully agree with Astaldo, I hate how no one could fathom that metallica had went through a change! Goddammit anyways just shut the f**k up and accept it. No one is forcing you to listen to anything. I think its an alright song but not as bad as the reviewer makes it out to be.
    METALMAN95
    Ive heard herooftheday and i agree with amlost everything you said about. the only part i found enjoyable and kinda funny is when he says can you hear your babies crying.
    skybucket
    MaggaraMarine
    skybucket wrote: For the people that Astaldo mentioned... Please, I would love to hear YOUR stuff. I bet it would be so much more terrible than anything that Metallica has put out. As said before, Metallica did go through a fairly big change but I think in doing so that they expressed their musical versatility.
    Hey, man, this comment is just nonsense. You shouldn't say that if you can't compose as good stuff as the worst Metallica's songs you can't rate them. Of course you can! You can say that some guitarist that has played for 1 year and really can't play sucks even though you couldn't play guitar. You can say that somebody's music is bad if you don't like it. You don't need to be able to do better to not like something. Like can you compose better stuff than Rihanna (I assume you don't like Rihanna's music)? But you can still dislike her. There's nothing wrong on disliking some music and it's just more fun if you don't like every song. But I agree that people shouldn't listen to the song and think: this is Metallica.
    gopherthegreat
    All0utR0ck
    XSider
    And the other thing: don't listen to it, if it's "shit". I like every album, and don't want James to quit singing.
    UhmG0st
    I don't think metallica suks now. they just arent what they used to be, although, not many successful bands remain the same throughout their entire career. I enjoy their early shit personally, but the new music isn't THAT bad...
    rockguitarist86
    synystergabriel wrote: **** you ****ing dick. you trying be forty and singing like your were twenty
    Fagget
    Sintera666
    I think yhis dude took things just a little too seriously. I mean, we all know its true that James cracked his voice up, it's true. Does that mean he still cant sing, no! However, it just so happens that in this particular CD, his singing just sucks. I listened to a live version of him singing Fight Fire with Fire and it wasn't pretty. He just can't sing their old stuff anymore, but the new stuff goes right with his singing. Load and Reload were KICKASS!!!
    Rockstar_imn
    I don't think the single was THAT bad. Sure, not their greatest work, but still. And just to put my thoughts out there, you really can rate albums from bands like Metallica and others based on how they used to be. Because they strayed from the kind of music that they used to be and the music that their fans really liked. Metallica used to be a good Thrash metal band. Now they're hard rock. Sure, I still think they're good, but I'd much rather listen to the old, thrash metal Metallica
    ernies_balls
    beeboshain
    WELL FUCKING SAID 10/10 for that reply
    break-me-in
    beeboshain wrote: M.B.MetalTabber wrote: If any other band had released Load and ReLoad, they'd be massive albums. Don't rate Metallica's albums based on what they had released before them, rate them based on how good they actually are. WELL FUCKING SAID 10/10 for that reply
    Whilst you sorta make a good point, the albums aren't as good because we are all aware that Metallica are capable of creating much better music. It's the disappointment (although I personally think St. Anger was the final nail in the coffin.)
    Shabalaba
    (although I personally think St. Anger was the final nail in the coffin.)
    They even admit it wasnt the best album, everyone knows it, doesnt mean its crap or as you said the final nail in the coffin. Besides they are realsing a new album this year meant to be way better than St. Anger.