Hero Of The Day review by Metallica

• Released: Sep 9, 1996
Metallica: Hero Of The Day

"Hero of the Day" is the second single released from "Load." This song for me is all about feel. It's a hard rock ballad with two heavy parts. The intro and verses are played with clean guitars and the music here puts you in one mood, whilst the chorus is played with distortion guitars and puts you in another. The heavy parts feature power chords and double bass drumming, these parts put you in a third mood. The music is great, but the best thing about the song is the lyrics and the vocal melody. The last part of the guitar solo as it goes into the chorus gives me chills every time. A lot of my attachment to this album comes from nostalgia, so I can understand that many people don't realize how fantastic the "Load" and "Reload" albums actually are.

James wrote this song about the people who are looking for heroes within the media and entertainment. The song says that those people searching for heroes do not realize that the heroes are the people they come across in everyday life. This is indeed a beautiful song, that still to this day gets my emotions going whenever I hear it. "Hero of the Day" has some of best lyrics the album, and Hetfield's vocals are top notch. It's kinda hard to explain the feelings that I get from this song, but the singing and lyrics during the chorus and last heavy part is simply fantastic.

"Hero of the Day" is one of the best songs from "Load," and when we're talking ballads, definitely a better song than "Nothing Else Matters." It still gets crushed by the masterpiece that is "Bleeding Me," but that doesn't really matter. The other song on the single is the "Kill/Ride Medley," recorded live in England, '95. I think it was a smart move to add a 10 minute thrash mayhem track to even out the calmness of the ballad. There are other versions of the single featuring different Motorhead covers, a remix and a demo. However, this version is the best.