Kill 'Em All review by Metallica

• Released: Jul 25, 1983
Metallica: Kill 'Em All

This is Metallica's first born. Don't be fooled, this is one of the best metal albums ever made. Influenced by the new wave of british heavy metal, Kill'Em All has a thick, crunchy sound in the rhythm riffs, and also some pretty sweet sounding bright solos. The music definately displays Hetfield's love for metal. Metal guitarists playing with punk-rock energy sounds pretty innovative to me. Though Dave Mustaine (currently with Megadeth) is owed credit for his guitar contributions to the album, he never played a note on it. This is one of those albums that makes you think about why it took so long for you to buy it.

Even though Hetfield was only 18 or 19 when this record was written, the songwriting is still pretty damn solid. It shows some lyrical inexperience, but you'd never know that if you were buying this album 20 years ago. With patience comes better lyrics, as James has proven. "The Four Horsemen" is probably my favorite track on the album, as opposed to the much more radio-friendly "Seek And Destroy". 'Horsemen' has those chunky riffs and blazing solos, and is arguably the most lyrically sound song on the album. Hetfield's screams and shrieks are perfectly suited for the environment that the music creates for the listener.

When Kill'Em All was released, 80's metal consisted of your Ratts, Motley Crues and their spin-offs. It provided a little insight to the world of underground metal. The most impressive songs are probably (in no particular order) "The Four Horsemen", "Hit The Lights", Cliff Burton's bass solo "Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)", "Phantom Lord" and "No Remorse". I can't say that there's anything I dislike, this album rules! If my copy of Kill'Em All ever got stolen, I'd hunt down the f--ker that did it and pull his tongue through his ass. If I were to someday be so retarded as to lose such a jewel of a record, it would mean that I've lost every last thread of my sanity, and I'd tell my girlfriend to commit me to an asylum. If you love good, fast, raw metal that kicks your face in, buy this album! Metallica fans who don't own this album, go and get it so you can grasp the essence of Metallica's mission: world domination.