Kill 'Em All review by Metallica

• Released: Jul 25, 1983
Metallica: Kill 'Em All

Metallica's Kill 'Em All was a revolutionary new album and changed the face of metal forever by introducing a new genre thrash. Songs like "Metal Militia" and "Hit The Lights" had never been heard before. Incredibly fast solos, great screams (without overdoing it), and some of the greatest riffs of all-time like "Seek and Destroy" and "No Remorse." Also, people complain about the "terrible production quality" and I really don't find anything wrong with it, if anything, it adds to the CD and makes it's unique.

The lyrics, while not astonishing, get the job done and are genius in their own way. Now Hetfield may not sing as well as he does later on, but he defintely can scream better than he ever does on any of his later work. He never really showcases his voice on this album but it doesn't matter, this album isn't about singing/screaming, it's about solos, riffs, and Cliff Burton.

Even though this is Metallica's first debut album, it has some of their best songs and could possibly be their best. 01. Hit The Lights - great opener, nice drum intro, fast riffs, about 2 little guitar solos in their and 1 full length thrash solo in there. 02. The Four Horsemen - one of Metallica's best on the album. It was on "No Life 'Til Leather," but it was titled the mechanix and the only differences were the lyrics and The length. Has a few new solos, some good screams, and a nice guitar riff or 2. 03. Motorbreath - Hetfield wrote this entire song by himself. It's about his life and how he lives it. Good drum solo opening and some thrash guitar work. 04. Jump In The Fire - demonic song, very simple, only 3 guitar riffs and a solo, good lyrics. Not much to say that hasn't already been stated. 05. Anesthesia Pulling Teeth - 4 words, "bass solo, take one" and off he goes. At the 2:28 mark, it picks up a little from the scales and the Lars comes in with a simple drum beat. Real showcase for Cliff to show what he's got. A must-know song for any bassist out there. I've never heard anything like it. 05. Whiplash - back to the norm. Fast guitars. It's about going to a Metallica show, and how crazy it can get. Crazy solo, when I first heard it, I was blown away. 06. Phantom Lord - not quite sure what instrument is used in the intro, but I like it. Fast guitar riff, cool fills. Fun Fact- Phantom Lord was the name of a band James was in during high school. 07. No Remorse - one of the best openings on the album. Amazing riff, amazing solo, amazing song. Metallica's first war song. 08. Seek & Destroy - best song on the album. Bar none. One of Metallica's most famous songs. They play it at ever show as their anthem song. Cool riffs. And there's something they have in this song that I just love. The solo and how they kind of break it down. Kirk solos for 4 seconds, James play 3 chords, and Kirk solos again. I don't know why, but I just love that kind of solo. 09. Metal Militia - fastest riffs on the album, loudest/best screams and one of the best solos all wrapped into one great song. There's a little foot stomping noise at the end that makes it sound like a real army, pretty cool.

M.B.MetalTabber
    It's a 50/50 album, The Four Horsemen, Seek and Destroy and Whiplash being the highlights, and anesthesia pulling teeth is just really cool
    miketallica
    Mustaine wrote the Four Horseman but they changed the lyrics and slowed it down. Metallica should NOT remaster anything. If you keep updating shit, it isn't like it once was and you lose the overall reality of the album and it becomes some shitty regular album. The dirty sound is amazing, its classic and should NOT be touched at all. I'm glad Metallica hasn't remastered anything.