Kill 'Em All review by Metallica

• Released: Jul 25, 1983
Metallica: Kill 'Em All

Ah... Kill Em' All... First CD of it's kind. I love this album's overall sound. I had never heard any music this fast and furious before this. Drummer Lars Ulrich is always bursting with energy and throws in wonderful drum fills here and there, such as in Whiplash. The guitar written and played by Dave Mustaine, with Kirk Hammett's name slapped on the CD is amazing work. LOVE the solos that come from the guitars of Metallica, and I think among the best solos on the album are the 2 from The Four Horsemen and the solo/fills from Hit the Lights. Cliff Burton (R.I.P) is a god of the bass. As evident by Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth), he has mastered all the aspects of playing the bass well and my only complaint is that the bass follows the drums, not the guitar (they fixed this in later albums). Favorite songs on the album are Four Horsemen, Whiplash, Seek and Destroy, and Hit the Lights. The story of originally calling the album "Metal up Your Ass" is a pretty cool story. Definately would describe the album's ferocity and intensity. Overall, I love the sound. How can you not? It's Metallica!

The low point (which is still pretty high) of the album is the lyrics. I don't mind them, I actually like them, but they are all about death, depression, war, something to that effect. That's not a bad thing, but there isn't much variety in lyrics and I would like to see a bit more. James Hetfield sounded better on later albums, but his younger, more wild singing fit's perfectly with the rest of this album. So I think this deserves an 8, not a bad score at all.

It's no Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning, but Kill Em' All should definately be mentioned among the top metal albums of all time. It was monumental and started metal as we know it today. To me, the most impressive song overall is The Four Horsemen. I just love that song. Also Anesthesia has the most impressive bass playing I have ever heard. I love the guitar being a guitarist like almost everyone here is, and also the wild intensity of the album. I don't really hate anything on the album, but there is room for improvement in some aspects. If it was stolen, I would definately buy it again. But luckily, I don't have to worry about that since I have it on iTunes.

wildchild6660
    Yeah one of my comments mentions that somewhere up there, if you can find it.
    1201ZJ
    Ummmmm Kirk din't join until the second album....The solo's were Dave's.
    queenslander47
    wildchild6660 wrote: guitarfreak222 wrote: this album you can tell is more hardcore punkish eh? anyone agree? btw their new album death magnetic rocks! Yeah one of my comments mentions that somewhere up there, if you can find it.
    it sounds like that now, but 26 yrs ago it was the very definition of thrash metal
    queenslander47
    oh and metallica's best stuff, RTL, MOP and AJFA were all written without mustaine. Hetfield is the far superior song writter and they were better off without mustaine. besides, no mustaine in metallica = the best metallica they could b + megadeth win win